View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Grand National 2012 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Grand National 2012
I think Synchronised suffered the fatal injury later running free, not at Bechers

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:04 pm
Group 1 winner

confirmed that frankel has retired official
UK star ‘Frankel’ trained by Sir Henry Cecil and owned by Prince Khalid Abdulla has been officially retired from racing this morning after succumbing to an injury during the week. Frankel is the son of Saddler’s Wells and is unbeaten from 9 starts. Frankel will now go to stud and is likely to stand for £85-90k.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

son of galileo i thought and grandson of sadlers wells

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

anubisrich wrote:
I think Synchronised suffered the fatal injury later running free, not at Bechers

Yes I saw him following the field on the replays

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Piermario Morosini also died today playing football, similar to Muamba. Ban football?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:10 pm
Group 1 winner

anubisrich wrote:

Just watching the replay and he lands awkward over the ditch (fence 11) when running loose.

Desperately sad for connections especially Jonjo who rode the Gold Cup winner Alverton in '79 who also fell fatally at Bechers.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:10 pm
Group 1 winner

Very, very sad. Synchronised certainly shouldn't have ran today. As for Frankel, that's multi-millionaire owners protecting their assets I'm afraid.... a loss but hardly unpredictable. lets look forward to his progeny.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:13 pm
Group 1 winner

Teddy Grimthorpe confirms that Frankel has NOT been retired despite earlier rumours,

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Maybe Frankel hasnt been retired (apology from ATR)

http://www.sportsnews.com.au/horse-raci ... cing/28414

I'm confused!

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:16 pm
Group 1 winner

Yes was a false tweet put out by them

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:33 pm
Group 1 winner

exxplozion wrote:
Shame that Always Waining wasn't in it, won a brilliant Topham yesterday.
My tips are:
Junior
Ballabriggs
Giles Cross
Calgary Bay
State Of Play
Black Apalachi
Any of the above WILL win the National :D

Or not. And for all the seabass doubters out there, saying he would be nowhere...

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:38 pm
Group 1 winner

panther wrote:
anubisrich wrote:
Sychronised put down?

Yep, Synchronised and According To Pete were the two that lost their lives.

It's obviously sad that According To Pete died, but it's a disaster for the race and for horse racing in general that the Gold Cup winner has been killed. Without a doubt the most high profile horse death the race has ever seen.

Joint highest profile. What makes it worse is that the other high profile death was alverton, attempting the same feat. And he was ridden by jonjo o'neill.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 pm
Group 1 winner

Why did Richie McLernon only use the whip twice on Sunnyhillboy and then put his whip down til he was passed? Extremely poor ride.

I said earlier in the thread, if I had a Group class horse I wouldn't send it to the National. Ridiculous. They need to make the prize money less than G1 races to stop attracting chancers, horses competing must have run over 10 times over fences, won a class 2 chase over 3m minimum and placed in a race with more than 12 runners that season as well as having run at least 3 times. The number of horses needs to be dropped to 30, the start needs to be moved closer to the first as well and raise the minimum age to 9.

Do all of that and Synchronised wouldn't have been able to run, State of Play (who brought down two) wouldn't have run, Weird Al (looking like he wont make it) wouldn't qualify, West End Rocker (fell), On His Own (fell), Always Right (fell), Organisedconfusion (fell), Arbor Supreme (refused), Killyglen (fell), Quiscover (fell), Becauseicouldntsee (fell) etc. etc.

Spot a pattern? The trends are undeniable. These were my predictions: not sure what odds would have been on it...

Quote:
SYNCHRONISED - Dont think he'll complete Right
BALLABRIGGS - Same, pulled up 2nd circuit Very wrong
SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM - Win chance Right
WEST END ROCKER - Not good enough to win, place possibilities Right and Wrong, not good enough and fell going too fast (should have been withdrawn when rain didn't come
CAPPA BLEU - Same Right
JUNIOR - doubt he'll complete, possible first fence faller Right
ON HIS OWN - faller Right
SUNNYHILLBOY - win chance, likely place Right
CHICAGO GREY - lower place chance Right, bought down by horse that shouldnt have been there
GILES CROSS - not soft enough to make weight pay, possible faller Right
ORGANISEDCONFUSION - too inexperienced, mistake to bring him here this year Right
BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE - jumping concerns, if not faller place chance Right
KILLYGLEN - no Right
SEABASS - too far, pulled up when Katie gets tired Close to Right
TREACLE - office sweepstake so don't want to say anything bad but he'll almost certainly fall Right
ALWAYS RIGHT - better ground a blessing, place chance if completes Right - didn't complete
ACCORDING TO PETE - would want it softer, probably 10th place but could be surprise package Right - brought down in strong position
PLANET OF SOUND - doubt he'll complete, lack of big race experience Pretty much right, completely faded out of it at the business end
BLACK APALACHI - getting on, e/w possibility Wrong
CALGARY BAY - strong place chance Wrong, finished but well back

Last edited by anubisrich on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:46 pm
Group 1 winner

I dont care where Seabass finished, I just knew it would not win. I admit it did far better than i expected but it was outstayed by stayers, which always happens in in the national that is what it is about

I love horse racing but I am genuinely still sickened by Synchronised running in that race. I could be completely wrong but the horse just did not seem himself today whatsover. Even the 'look how calm he is' was a little weird to me, as if something was just a little bit wrong and that is maybe why he was 'spooked' so easily. I dont know how many of you guys have sky plus but I have watched the start of the race back a few times and, whilst in the middle of all the horses, I am sure Jonjo shakes his head and then shrugs his shoulders before running out of the way as the race gets underway. Maybe I am overreacting but I think that horse should have been pulled and some people at Aintree knew as much but still let it go ahead. So disappointed - I am not necessarily a big fan of the horse, thought he was a shocking gold cup winner and I am not speaking through my pocket either (backed Neptune and 4 other big prices for a couple of quid) and what I am saying is just an honest opinion

AS FOR FRANKEL - agree that the owners will protect their asset, it was predictable that even a minor injury could spell the end of his career. they will not want to risk losing him

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 pm
Group 1 winner

I agree with what you are saying Rich.

Why do they not even add a couple of 3mile plus races during the season over these fences to give more experience to horses

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next