View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Frankel vs Black Caviar in the Sussex Stakes? 

Will it happen?
Yes 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
No 94%  94%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 18

Frankel vs Black Caviar in the Sussex Stakes? 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Frankel vs Black Caviar in the Sussex Stakes?
SuperCat wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:
im getting very worried now kev :lol: :lol:

£5 x 50/1 = £255 :shock: :shock: :o

stop posting UBAR

super cat were are you !!! :lol:

Apologies PJ! I'd always prefer to back the experienced campaigner over the newcomer! I'll wear you down in the end Ubar! Ha ha!

I think this is really daft, it won't happen. Like the trainer said on the RP website if they stick around much longer they'll miss all the big early season races in Aus which have prize money to rival that without it being boosted. I'd put my money on the first time them meeting is when Frankel covers her, which I think is also fairly unlikely. I can't see this happening.

What I would love to see though is Frankel in the Diamond Jubilee or the July Cup against her. This would be really interesting race to watch.

Yes I have to say they are saying this because they don't want people to think they have ruled it out fully, but I will be very surprised if it happens. For a while now I have been hoping Cecil would run frankel over 6f and see him run like he did in the guineas, almost flat out from the start, but again this wouldn't happen as Cecil is training him for longer distances and that would mess it up. Personally I think if they did meet over 6f he would run the legs off her.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm
Handicapper

edit

Noticed this information was already in here.

Last edited by TysonM on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 pm
Group 1 winner

TysonM wrote:
"Caviar camp will strongly consider Frankel clash
BY JAMES BURN9:11AM 5 APR 2012

BLACK CAVIAR’S trainer Peter Moody on Thursday said he would strongly consider running his brilliant mare against Frankel in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood this summer, but added “it wouldn’t be the end of the world” if Flat racing’s best two horses did not meet.

Sheikh Fahad, who sponsors the 1m Group 1 through his company Qipco, has promised to inject £700,000 into the race – swelling the prize-money to £1 million – if the two unbeaten stars line up at Goodwood on August 1.

“It’s certainly a great initiative from the sponsors and Goodwood and certainly something we’ll consider strongly,” said Moody, who has saddled Black Caviar to 19 successive victories – nine at the highest level.

“This mare has raced in races we’ve thought she’d be best suited to her whole career and the £1 million certainly wouldn’t sway us. If she was in good form and ready to go there we’ll strongly consider it.

“The two races I’ve earmarked for her are the July Cup at Newmarket following the Diamond Jubilee at Ascot. She’d have to come through both those races extremely well to even consider it.

“Both horses have to be in form. Not only my filly, but Frankel would have to be in the right form. I don’t think it’s only a matter of whether Black Caviar arrives, it’s probably very much a matter of if Frankel arrives.”

A clash between the two would arguably be one of the biggest of recent times on the Flat, but Moody added: “I don’t have a great wish or need to take on Frankel. Don’t read that for one minute that we feel inferior to him. It’s just one’s a filly and one’s an entire and they race over different distances. To bring them together would be great for the sport on a world level, but it won’t be the end of the world if it doesn’t happen.”

Sprinting sensation Black Caviar would be trying 1m for the first time in the Sussex and Moody is optimistic is she would perform with credit.

“We’ve always thought she’d strongly handle 1600m [a mile] even it not a mile and a quarter,” he told Sky Sports News.

“The problem with our mare is she’s such a hulk of mare. She has a massive physique and whether she’d cope with the training for such a distance is probably a greater concern than running the trip in the races.

“The other thing is we do have a lot of big prize-money races in Australia she’s eligible for and if we did go to Goodwood we’d have forego quite a few of those at our Spring Carnival later in the year. There are a lot of things to consider.”

Coral quote Frankel, winner of the Sussex last year, at 1-2 for the showdown, while Black Caviar is a 6-4 chance."

If they both turned up at their best, Black Caviar would have no chance.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 pm
Handicapper

Ubar02 wrote:
If they both turned up at their best, Black Caviar would have no chance.

No, not at a mile. Probably not even 7f

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:28 pm
Group 1 winner

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to BC, but I don't think she would beat him over 6f either. His speed is untested, the way he ran the guineas, and the way he had canford cliffs a top class miler off the bridle after 5f, just bowling along, she wouldn't be able to live with him. He isn't abnormally tall, but he is just a muscle packed powerhouse with a massive stride and if he's ever fully stretched to full speed I would love to be there. I've seen him out training on the gallops and in te guinea sand he is pretty much the perfect physical specimen of a racehorse.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:55 pm
Group 1 winner

I believe and Dancing brave could correct me but lm pretty sure Frankel has been trained for mile and a quarter races this year. I did hear an interview with Cecil and he has worked on the horse settling with the intention of getting 1m2f and maybe further but certainly 1m2f.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Group 1 winner

mwesty1 wrote:
I believe and Dancing brave could correct me but lm pretty sure Frankel has been trained for mile and a quarter races this year. I did hear an interview with Cecil and he has worked on the horse settling with the intention of getting 1m2f and maybe further but certainly 1m2f.

Yes there is no way he would race over less than a mile this year as Cecil does not like sprinters, apparently rumour in town is if he gets 1 mile 2 easily he may try 1 mile 4, who knows?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm
Group 1 winner

Henry never used to train his horses for longer than a mile, just train switching them off. They would always hit the course untested over the distance. DB might be able to shed some more recent light on it but I've definitely heard Frankel's target is the 10f Champion Stakes in the Champion Series.

Black Caviar is a more likely runner than Frankel in any match race. The money talked about is a lot for a mare whereas a stallion like Frankel wouldn't really get out of bed for £1m. Given how Frankel broke Canford Cliffs in the race last year in what was one of the most dominant performances in the sport I cannot see him being beaten over a mile there.

He would be most at risk at Ascot I think.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar I think you are maybe taking ur 'doubt' over BC to an extreme level!! Frankel would not beat her over 6f!!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Group 1 winner

If BC team said she would run he would race in it I reckon,1 million is still a lot of money for Frankel, and as PM said they could go back to Australia and win more than that in their carnival over there, they have said money will not sway them it is what is right for the horse so she is no more likely than Frankel, if anything she would be the one in doubt for a match race.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
Ubar I think you are maybe taking ur 'doubt' over BC to an extreme level!! Frankel would not beat her over 6f!!

Not by far definitely but I think his ability to sustain his speed is phenomenal, remember frankel is not your 'average' multiple group 1 winning miler, he is a class or two above. You can really appreciate this when you see him in the flesh. This isn't doubting BC, more saying that Frankel is better. They never doubted Mill House was an incredibly talented horse, it's just that Arkle was much much better!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
If BC team said she would run he would race in it I reckon,1 million is still a lot of money for Frankel, and as PM said they could go back to Australia and win more than that in their carnival over there, they have said money will not sway them it is what is right for the horse so she is no more likely than Frankel, if anything she would be the one in doubt for a match race.

She would need to run in quite a few races at the Spring Carnival to make that sort of prize money! The most valuable race she will run in Australia in the spring is the £650k Patinack Farm Classic. The other races she would be targetting are actually worth less than the July Cup and Diamond Jubilee Stakes (each worth £400k). If she was to meet Frankel in the Sussex Stakes, it would mean that the total added prize money for the three races she's running in over here would be £1.8 million (around AU$2.7m), which is a lot more than she'd be getting in the Spring Carnival. In last year's Spring Carnival, the total added prize money she raced for was AU$1.5m (around £975k).

So, I would say the prize money of £1m would be a huge draw for the owners of Black Caviar, as there are no individual races in Australia that would offer her that amount of money. I really can't see it happening though, and to be honest, I don't think it should.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm
Group 1 winner

To be honest I don't know anything about the money over there that's just what her trainer said and he also sai the money wouldn't sway them, it would be what's right for the horse, but maybe at least it has made them look at the Sussex stakes as more of a target than before, but unless it was over 7f, a halfway house distance for both of them it probably wouldn't really be fair putting her up in her first start over a mile against one of the greatest milers ever seen!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm
Handicapper

Sorry to pi$$ on your chips but NOT going to happen

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/moody-turns-down-1631-million-frankel-shootout-20120405-1wfdg.html

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 pm
Group 1 winner

Realistically, it was never going to happen. Black Caviar would have very little to gain from taking on Frankel over 1 mile, especially so soon after the July Cup.

Of Peter Moody's misinformed comment about the idea of the £1m Sussex Stakes clash though - "''We race for that sort of money all the time. It is a big race for them, not for us", I don't know where he's getting his conversion rates, as there aren't any sprint or mile weight-for-age races for older horses in Australia that are worth anywhere near £1 million. BC's two main targets in the Spring Carnival - the Manikato and Patinack Classic - are worth less than that combined.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next