View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Oaks & Derby! 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Oaks & Derby!
Have to disagree with you panther, he wasn't stopping there, and he didn't push him through to the line and stopped using the stick quite a way out as well. Superb performance from a true champion! Feel honoured to have seen him in the guineas. Wouldn't mind getting tickets for the leger now.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:09 pm
Group 1 winner

He's just another Ballydoyle hype horse. Wouldn't win a seller over 1m6

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:10 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
Panther he won that easy, eased towards end!

I agree, he won it very easily. I don't think it's a very strong crop of 3yos this season though - a field of nine, with only two or three of the others having shown even vaguely decent form does not make a good Derby, but at the end of the day Camelot could only beat the horses that turned up, and he did it very impressively.

The way he won today reminded me of Authorized's win a few years ago, which was equally impressive, but then he couldn't maintain that form throughout the season. Camelot can't be called an all-time great until he has proven it in style against the older horses, and I hope he does that (although I'd be cheering for Frankel if there was a Frankel v Camelot race!). I didn't call Sea The Stars an all-time great until after his Arc win.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:13 pm
Group 1 winner

keithbeaky wrote:
He's just another Ballydoyle hype horse. Wouldn't win a seller over 1m6
keithbeaky wrote:
Very overrated that Camelot.

I can tell you that you are unique. You are the only person in the world who believes that right now. This horse is worth every bit of the hype. I don't know how many of you guys on here have seen him in the flesh( lets hear from those who have) but I have and he is some animal, classic image of a thoroughbred stallion.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:15 pm
Group 1 winner

panther wrote:
HurricaneRun wrote:
Panther he won that easy, eased towards end!

I agree, he won it very easily. I don't think it's a very strong crop of 3yos this season though - a field of nine, with only two or three of the others having shown even vaguely decent form does not make a good Derby, but at the end of the day Camelot could only beat the horses that turned up, and he did it very impressively.

The way he won today reminded me of Authorized's win a few years ago, which was equally impressive, but then he couldn't maintain that form throughout the season. Camelot can't be called an all-time great until he has proven it in style against the older horses, and I hope he does that (although I'd be cheering for Frankel if there was a Frankel v Camelot race!). I didn't call Sea The Stars an all-time great until after his Arc win.

Difference is though they tried racing authorised over 1m2 which he was probably just too slow for the best of them, but Camelot has already won a mile race against a strong field, so he has enough speed.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar me old chum. I was the one who said he was a freak in April. What a year for flat racing with Black Caviar at Ascot too.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm
Group 3 winner

I think keith was being sarcastic ubar :lol:

Time will tell how good a Derby it was as always, I think Main Sequence is a very good horse but Camelot was just different class, no point in comparing him to Sea The Stars, look at the end of the season and maybe compare then. At This stage he is already a champion and he will make the season more exciting, either by going for the Triple Crown or taking on Frankel at 1m2.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:26 pm
Group 1 winner

I hope he goes 10f route and gets absolutely hammered by Frankel, time will tell but poor Derby for me. Congratulations to them anyway. 9/4 for the Arc must be lay of the season for me, I'd get on now before the French Derby if you want to lay.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 pm
Group 3 winner

Why would you hope that an unbeaten Guineas and Derby winner gets hammered?

Frankel wont run in the Eclipse and Camelot probably wont either so the most likely chance for them to meet would be the Juddmonte I think and Camelot would be getting 8 pounds, that would be the test of Frankels career.

Dosent matter what a horse does, there will always be people who are never convinced, for some, Frankel has beat nothing and still has to prove himself by going further and giving weight to a top 3yo, alot of people still not convinced by Black Caviar or Sea The Stars!

So what chance has a mere unbeaten Guineas and 5 length Derby winner got?

Last edited by DocHay on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:35 pm
Group 1 winner

Ballydoyle, Coolmoore and O'Brien are 3 reasons enough. I don't need to explain why, plus I laid Camelot so I'm not happy right now and I want that money back... And I will get that money back.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:36 pm
Group 3 winner

I dont particularly like Coolmore, not many do, nothing personal just dont like the running 5 or 6 in one race, which cost me yesterday when one of their outsiders held off Shirocco Star who I fancied strongly in the Oaks, but I dont hold that against their horses and it seems alot of people do.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm
Group 1 winner

I try not to hold it against their horses but the Oaks yesterday was a prime example of the scum, I had a great day bar that one race and I don't mean betting wise. I hope Camelot personally goes to the Leger and wins it, but if it does step back or go to the Arc to face the older horses, I will be laying.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Group 1 winner

nick_driver wrote:
Ballydoyle, Coolmoore and O'Brien are 3 reasons enough. I don't need to explain why, plus I laid Camelot so I'm not happy right now and I want that money back... And I will get that money back.

Well that was your fault and nobody else's. That was a stupid idea taking on the top class unbeaten guineas winner so you only have yourself to blame.
nick_driver wrote:
I try not to hold it against their horses but the Oaks yesterday was a prime example of the scum, I had a great day bar that one race and I don't mean betting wise. I hope Camelot personally goes to the Leger and wins it, but if it does step back or go to the Arc to face the older horses, I will be laying.

You will lose yet more money again then. Good luck, you will need it.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:39 pm
Group 1 winner

Whats the verdict on the time? Dash was the quickest ever recorded electronically so the ground was fast. It was over half a second faster than SNA (albeit only 6 runners and the pacemaker died very early) but Workforce was 2.5 seconds faster (again, more runners) and the dash was a slower time that year.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:59 pm
Handicapper

Well at the end of the day a horse can only beat whats put in front of it, and so far he has done that and to be fair hes done it well. I personally agree that the crop of 3yr olds are not a great bunch this year and for me personally i don't think hes a star, but he definitely is a decent horse and i guess the only time we can compare to any degree is if and when he takes on older established horses.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next