View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The derby 
Handicapper

Post The derby
I just wanted to throw the question out there. With the derby just around the corner and the going looking like it could be soft, how will Australia cope with the soft ground and who do you think will give him a race.the one I fancy is snow sky, with proven form on soft and the on fire Doyle this looks the one to spring a surprise for me.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: The derby
Soft- Kingston Hill

Thu May 29, 2014 10:10 pm
Group 1 winner

Australia Derby Winner 2014 it is written in the stars just like Camelot in 2012

Geoffrey Chaucer is working very well at home
But the rumors that he hammered Aus on the Gallops was a load of rubbish they dont even work together never have
he works with Oklahoma City

Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

I'll take a shot in the dark with Ebanoran for John Oxx because I really like the trainer :) But alas I will be mighty surprised if Australia does not win!

Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm
Group 3 winner

If Australia stays hes going to take some beating, not interested at the price though, this looks a much stronger Derby than Camelots but he did run a blinder in a much better Guineas than Camelot's. For a Derby horse to go close in a good Guineas they need to be a bit special, like New Approach.

Im on Ebanoran, showed a nice turn of foot in the Derrinstown and ground should be fine for him either way. Ebadiyla won an Irish Oaks and a Prix Royal Oak but on what he has shown there has to be a doubt about the trip, hes either top class or he doesnt stay, with the latter more likely so not expecting to win but I think ill get a run for my money, Oxx doesnt send them over for nothing.

Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Group 1 winner

I dont think Ebanoran wil stay, his turn of foot looked more like that of a 8-10f horse to me, I would be very surprised if he can stay with a turn of foot like that, if he does then he has a very good chance

Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 pm
Handicapper

I like Ebanoran too but i agree with qwsa, i dont think he will see out the derby trip. I've always been in the Australia camp and still am but with the ground soft i think it might bring one or two others into it, the derrinstown form looks strong so for me Fascinating Rock is a contender and Snow Sky looks like a stoute improver who wouldn't mind it soft either. The rumours going around about Geoffrey Chaucer beating up Australia on the gallops are not true, the money that came for him or more likely the cut in price was due purely to the fact that ryan moore had confirmed to ride. I dont think anyone at ballydoyle believes he can beat Australia at epsom on any ground.

Sat May 31, 2014 12:50 pm
Group 1 winner

This is one of the worst Derby fields of recent years.

Sat May 31, 2014 3:13 pm
Handicapper

Ubar02 wrote:

I'd hate to agree but unfortunately I have to. The Oaks looks pretty weak too :/ To be fair the Derby fields haven't been that great for a while now, STS probably had the last really good one. Workforce (2010) won it on his 3rd start (?) and thus broke his maiden if I remember correctly, Pour Moi (2011) may have been good, his late run was certainly awesome but he was injured shortly thereafter, Camelot (2012) was the best of a weak crop, struggled against elders, Ruler of the World (2013) had a relatively small Derby field to contend with and it was not star packed, last win was in the Derby itself, has done nothing since (though he holds an entry in the Coronation).

I wish horses came into the Derby more seasoned and tested, this race is supposed to test champions, not 'make' them

Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 pm
Group 1 winner

KingaK97 wrote:
Ubar02 wrote:

I'd hate to agree but unfortunately I have to. The Oaks looks pretty weak too :/ To be fair the Derby fields haven't been that great for a while now, STS probably had the last really good one. Workforce (2010) won it on his 3rd start (?) and thus broke his maiden if I remember correctly, Pour Moi (2011) may have been good, his late run was certainly awesome but he was injured shortly thereafter, Camelot (2012) was the best of a weak crop, struggled against elders, Ruler of the World (2013) had a relatively small Derby field to contend with and it was not star packed, last win was in the Derby itself, has done nothing since (though he holds an entry in the Coronation).

I wish horses came into the Derby more seasoned and tested, this race is supposed to test champions, not 'make' them

Workforce had won a race at 2. 2011 was the last good field, some decent horses in that but since then its not been great.

Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm
Handicapper

Australia should win. could possibly be around 6/4 on the day, and if he is that price it is time to get stuck in.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 pm
Group 1 winner

I think its potentially the best Derby since Workforce's. Recent years have been dreadful and that has been shown by what the winners and placed horses have done since both here and abroad. But we cant have superstars all the time and we did have a some very good horses from 2007-2010 and before that we had the good Irish winners. Its a shame the weather forecast is wet, wet, wet. Id like to see the ground as close to good as possible.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:52 pm
Handicapper

Agree on that, I think this years middle distance crop is better than the last 2 derby's

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:55 pm
Group 1 winner

I think at the moment we'd all say the Guineas was a decent year, if not a good year. I think there are a lot of horses in the Derby that "could" be good and obviously we have the "best horse Aiden's ever had" as the favourite. If its soft the form might not remain the same all year. I think its a very interesting race and Im also glad so many seem likely to take part. Same with the Oaks for me, I think it could be a decent race.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:02 pm
Group 1 winner

That Dante form has been franked in style now by The Grey Gatsby and Chapple-Hyam knows how decent Arod is. This will be a reasonable field I think with Australia, GC, True Story, Arod, Fascinating Rock and Ebanoran all potential multiple G1 class horses. I've done a lot of Oaks/Derby double but all involve Arod or Australia, just hoping the ground gets better, I'm only 20 mins drive from Epsom and we had a nice day today and tomorrow but rain is forecast this week for one or two days.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next