View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Let's get a debate going 
Group 1 winner

Post Let's get a debate going
This forum is lacking in discussion at the moment an it's a bit boring. Pistols were briefly unholstered after the leger by have now been put back again. I'm sure most of us struggle to find someone to have a good old discussion about racing with, so let's et one going on here aside from the daily discussion which appears to be more about tips. Suggestions- what does everyone think of the grand national changes? What are people's opinions of the state of this years two year olds? Predictions for champions day?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Let's get a debate going
I have to say that prizemoney at every level in the UK is very poor even smaller population countires have superior PM
how can ireland offer winners more money compared to the UK
Maiden races there is nearly double the prizemoney for the winner in ireland
how can that be

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Yes it seems ridiculous that in the uk where races are supposedly of a higher quality and prestige the money is lower- I think that's part of the popularity of the Irish derby- big money and slightly easier to win. I think the horsemens group are doing the right thing by making a stand, but it would be interesting to hear what you guys think of all the boycotted races etc.
Also just heard paddy power and victor chandler have already paid out on bets on Hughes winning the jockeys title, surely this hasn't happened before with a month and a half to go?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 pm
Group 1 winner

I think the reason we have less prize money maybe do to in the uk we have at least three meetings a day seven days a week and in Ireland only a few meetings week unless the festivals are on.

Has for the National the smaller the fences are the more likely we will see more Fatalities and if we had smaller fields yes we might see less deaths but the race will lose its special place in racing.

One thing i would like to say is i am going to miss racing at Hereford when it closes down later this year when i worked and lived in hereford i always went racing when possible and is a wonderful small Quirky Track and brings back great winning bets i had one special horse called Burnt Fingers won me loads of money in a selling hurdle and always had a few quid on him its also bad to be losing Folkestone also next year but its the signs of the time when two tracks are lost to NH Racing.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Hopefully someone might come forward but they might not be able to be saved.
I agree, reducing the national to 30 runners would mean it wouldn't be the national, and I really hope they don't make the fences smaller. Ill be interested to see if adjusting the start makes a difference, it's a shame it means it has to be shorter and isn't 4 1/2 anymore but in light of that will the national be altered on starters orders to reflect the real life change in distance or left as it is?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 pm
Handicapper

All debates need a good question to start on so

You have a horse in the champions stakes on champions day and you can pick any jockey from around the world to be on top who would it be?

Basically who is the best jockey in the world right now please explain your opinion.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 pm
Handicapper

daveyboy wrote:
All debates need a good question to start on so

You have a horse in the champions stakes on champions day and you can pick any jockey from around the world to be on top who would it be?

Basically who is the best jockey in the world right now please explain your opinion.

Right now, at this very second, I want Glen Boss.

- Rode a $51 shot to 3rd in the Makybe Diva Gr2 two weeks ago
- Last Saturday at Moonee Valley rode 3 winners including: Dato Tan Stakes Gr2 & W H Stocks Gr2
- Today rode another 3 winners including: Underwood Stakes Gr1 (a cracking ride) & Sportingbet Stakes Gr3

In good form and knows how to win the big ones.

If he doesn't want to fly over.....then give me Buick :D

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:18 am
Group 1 winner

Frankel settled for the big occasion anyway. Not who you'd have on your no hoper in a 6f seller at Wolverhampton on Wednesday evening in the middle of November, but in a tight finish in a group 1 he is unbeatable.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm
Group 1 winner

We can't debate prize money, obviously too little. I want to see less prize money for the "Champions Day" and the Derby for instance and see more of it filter down to the lower quality races. The horses that win the Champions Day races or the Derby are guaranteed breeding fees in the hundreds of thousands if not millions a year.

In terms of which jockey I'd have on my horse, difficult. I like Barzalona, I like his arrogance and he has a good feel for racing. I like Barry McHugh who is consistently good and Paul Mulrennan who doesn't get enough good rides. But I think young William Buick could be very very good.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 pm
Group 1 winner

if my life depended on it
say i was the owner of zenyatta and she was going into breeders cup again unbeaten which jockey would i trust more than any other
to bring her home and do the job.

Johnny Murtagh

experience and class

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

anubisrich wrote:
We can't debate prize money, obviously too little. I want to see less prize money for the "Champions Day" and the Derby for instance and see more of it filter down to the lower quality races. The horses that win the Champions Day races or the Derby are guaranteed breeding fees in the hundreds of thousands if not millions a year.

Not the fillies and mares though, and definitely not cirrus des aigles, or that matter half of the sprinters. There has to be an incentive, otherwise people will go for the bigger money races abroad.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:20 am
Group 1 winner

Obviously we wouldn't run it for free but take 1 million off the prize money and thats £10,000 extra prize money for 100 races. Then it might make it worthwhile people who aren't gazillionaires owning and running horses. It costs about £10,000 a year to have a horse in training...

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am
Group 1 winner

I would remove money from the derby, but I think if champions day is going to compete with meetings like the arc meeting and the BC it needs to have high prize money, and ultimately its up to the sponsors what they do with their own money.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 am
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
I would remove money from the derby, but I think if champions day is going to compete with meetings like the arc meeting and the BC it needs to have high prize money, and ultimately its up to the sponsors what they do with their own money.

i agree british racing needs to compete with major race festivas around the world
the british champions day though is ill placed in the calendar and should be moved to mid september

i agree with Rich though when you look how much it costs to keep a horse in training and if its only a low level grade horse
it money in the bin running for a couple of grand everytime you would have to win 4 or 5 races a season to break even
people send horses to the derby for other reasons the prizemoney is not important but ofcourse a added bonus

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

People moan about the prizemoney but there are still tons of owners happy laying their horses on Betfair, much easier than competing for weak prizemoney.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next