View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Great Race Horses 
Handicapper

Post Great Race Horses
After seeing what Frankel has accomplished the last few seasons, it has interested me in what those before him have also achieved. However, one horse that I am unable to find much information on is the 1979 Arc winner Three Troikas. As well as winning the Arc she also won the Prix Vanteaux, Prix Vermeille, Poule d'Essai des Pouliches and Prix Saint-Alary in 1979 as well as winning the Prix d'Harcourt in 1980. The information I am looking for is for regards to how many times she actually ran, what races she was beaten in and by what horses. Any help regarding info or even links would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Great Race Horses
Three Troikas also ran in the Arc in 1980 won by Detroit, I'm not sure exactly where she placed but it was in the first 4, either just in front or just behind Ela Mana Mou.
She also ran in the Prix De Diane in 1979 where she was beaten by Dunette.

There is a short clip on youtube about the '79 running of the prix De Diane but it is in French (no footage of the actual race either unfortunately).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfiIGQ87 ... ure=relmfu

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
I can't help with all the horses she battled with, but I can tell you this:
Her full race record was -

20/11/1978 - Maiden - Saint Cloud - 1st

16/04/1979 - G3 Prix Vanteaux - Longchamp - 1st
29/04/1979 - G1 Poule d'Essai des Pouliches - Longchamp - 1st
20/05/1979 - G1 Prix Saint Alary - Longchamp - 1st
10/06/1979 - G1 Prix de Diane - Chantilly - 2nd (Beaten by Dunette)
16/09/1979 - G1 Prix Vermeille - Longchamp - 1st
07/10/1979 - G1 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - Longchamp - 1st
(Think that Le Marmot came second, Troy third and horses like Top Ville, Trillion, Kilijaro and Northern Baby were in the field that day, the latter most of which went on to win the Champion Stakes a few weeks later)

07/04/1980 - G2 Prix d'Harcourt - Longchamp - 1st
04/05/1980 - G1 Prix Ganay - Longchamp - 2nd (Beaten by Le Marmot)
01/06/1980 - G2 Prix Dollar (Now run on Arc weekend) - Longchamp - 3rd (Beaten by Northern Baby)
21/09/1980 - G3 Prix du Prince d'Orange - Longchamp - 2nd (Beaten by Dunette)
05/10/1980 - G1 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - Longchamp - 4th (Beaten by Detroit)

12 runs, 7 victories and 4 places.
That is certainly it on the European front anyone, she may have run once more on the 25/10/1980 according to France Galop, coming 8th in a 12f G1 race run at Aqueduct, but I have no idea what race that would have been; too early for the Breeders' Cup and I can't find any record or conformation of it, nor is it referenced in any pedigree analysis I can find either.
(Possibly could have been the Turf Classic Invitational Stakes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hirsch ... nal_Stakes)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:42 pm
Handicapper

Thanks Dancing Brave, was really struggling with the date of the maiden and which year she ran and finished 2nd in the Prix du Prince d'Orange. I had a look on France-Galop but my French is not that good so I don't really understand the links. Was this the main source of the information??

Kevcon, Thanks for your information as well. Again my French is literally zero and so I have no idea what the chap in the video is saying.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
Oui, it gave me enough to make filling in the blanks easy.

http://www2.france-galop.com/FGWeb/doma ... .aspx?L=en

That's basically your horse search page but in English. Scroll down past the summary on the race record tab and it'll give you the play by play. Plus you can access offspring, three gen' pedigree and entries for a specific horse; search trainers, jockeys, owners; get French race-cards, accurate going, modifications, suspensions, stewards decisions and whatever else floats your boat. It's a handy little site!!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm
Handicapper

That will be very useful indeed Dancing Brave. Something else you might be able to help with might be Official Ratings. As most would know your namesake managed a BHA rating of 141 and Frankel is perched on 140. Is there any site that I would be able to access ratings to a host of top Racehorses, say from 125-130 upwards?! The BHA site offers very little, only singling out the top 3YO and 4YO+ during that year. I managed to find a list of those rated 141 down to 137 but can not seem to find much below this point and so have instead started looking at horses with a decent timeform rating.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
I get the ridiculously long World Thoroughbred Rankings pdf every year, so I tend to use that as reference, but I presume you are looking for some all-in-one list for say the top hundred highest rated horses in history and that I am not sure where you will find one.
The best I can do is if you go here - http://images.racingpost.com/pdfs/worldranking.pdf
and scroll to the bottom, it'll give you a better spread than the BHA site for the last thirty-odd years, as it breaks them into distance categories as well as age.
Alternatively, for 2004 on, you can go here - http://www.horseracingintfed.com/racing ... section=16
and that will give you the top 35 - 50 rated horses across the world, year on year.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm
Group 1 winner

Some great memories on those lists DB - Marwell, Ile De Bourbon, Ela-mana-mou, Kalaglow....................I could go on, but great post everyone!!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]