View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Best 
Group 2 winner

Post Re: The Best
mjtags11 wrote:
My Top 5 of All Time:
1) Frankel
2) Man O' War
3) Black Caviar
4) Secretariat
5) Ribot

Black Caviar - Are u having a laugh

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:59 am
Group 1 winner

atiggerx33 wrote:
mjtags11 wrote:
My Top 5 of All Time:
1) Frankel
2) Man O' War
3) Black Caviar
4) Secretariat
5) Ribot

Man O' War definitely deserves to be there, he was a remarkable horse, scared away all his competition, and had a race win by 100 or so lengths if I remember my history.

That 100l race was a farce, only one other runner who was put in so it wasn't a walkover, but clearly he was exceptional, its very hard to compare pre-war horses to modern day horses though, a lot has changed since then, training breeding etc. I generally try not to look at anything pre 1950 when comparing, when Timeform ratings started is probably as early as I'd go.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:04 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
That 100l race was a farce, only one other runner who was put in so it wasn't a walkover, but clearly he was exceptional, its very hard to compare pre-war horses to modern day horses though, a lot has changed since then, training breeding etc. I generally try not to look at anything pre 1950 when comparing, when Timeform ratings started is probably as early as I'd go.

That is why I make a lot of my own figures. Something interesting about him is that the winning times were very close to winning times now, something that is hard to say for so many. He won at 1 1/2 miles in 2:28.4 at Belmont Park, slightly faster than this years Belmont Stakes. And he comes from the Godolphin Arabian sire-line, one that is nearly dead in the US and around the world.

Also, for many races he was carrying by far the most weight, carried 130 for most, and even carried 135 and 138 too. Just an exceptional horse.

nashwan wrote:

Maybe hehe. I actually think her Diamond Jubilee win pushes her in the top 5 (in my opinion, and one that hurts me to say cause there are so many good horses I am leaving out, Phar Lap, Zenyatta, Kelso, Nearco, War Admiral, West Australian, Gainsborough, Nijinsky just to name a few). Winning in a kinda weak Australia is one thing, being undefeated there is another, but coming from another hemisphere to beat some of the best in the world, that puts her over.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

nashwan wrote:
mjtags11 wrote:
My Top 5 of All Time:
1) Frankel
2) Man O' War
3) Black Caviar
4) Secretariat
5) Ribot

She won 25 races from 25, how can she not be in the top 5?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 pm
Group 1 winner

By that logic kincsem from Hungary should be by far and away the best with 55 wins from 55 starts.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:45 am
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
By that logic kincsem from Hungary should be by far and away the best with 55 wins from 55 starts.

Well, she is in my Top 20.... and it was 54 for 54... and its not just the undefeated record that puts Black Caviar in my top 5, its the amount of wins records she holds and how she was able to go win in a completely different hemisphere.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

To be fair to Black Caviar she did come over and beat a class filly in Moonlight Cloud despite not having things in her favour and probably wasn't at her best either. You can't knock her really.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3