View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fillies 
Group 1 winner

Post Fillies
Just wanted to get peoples opinions on why it is that England and Ireland dont seem to produce real top class fillies. I know we have produced very good ones such as Ouija Board, Dank, The Fugue etc, but other countries seem to produce much more and better fillies.
France have produced many like Goldikova, Zarkava, Treve and Shamkala looks very promising this year, Germany with Danedream.
Even in Japan and the US they seem to produce better than us, with Gentildonna, Harp Star and the US with the likes of Zenyatta.
Just wondering why people think this is, if there is a reason.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:57 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Fillies
Interesting question. One thing I will say is that in this country fillies don't often run outside their own sex because the programme over here caters well for fillies, where as the likes of Goldikova regularly took on the colts.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

In Australia the fillies allowance is greater. 3yo fillies have a very good chance of doing well in the arc as they are well in at the weights. It comes and goes though, obviously our fillies don't compete with the colts as much but Japan aren't producing a Gentildonna every year, and the US don't produce a zenyatta every year. We have also had several good fillies these last few years as well.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm
Group 1 winner

France seem to produce much better fillies than over here, and I cant think of a filly from here that has won races like the horses I mentioned from overseas.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:31 am
Group 1 winner

Snow fairy won Hong Kong cup, Irish champion etc. the fugue as good as won the bc turf and 2nd in Hong Kong vase as well as Irish champion, obviously goldikova was very good but the only open races zarkava and treve won were the arc in which 3yo fillies get a lot of weight from the others

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:04 am
Group 2 winner

We have had some decent fillies over the years but few world class ones. That being said The Fugue has given the very best a real run for their money on quick ground the last 2 years. She's a top mare.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am
Group 1 winner

qwsa wrote:
France seem to produce much better fillies than over here, and I cant think of a filly from here that has won races like the horses I mentioned from overseas.

Treve hasn't trained on whereas the fugue has.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Group 2 winner

The Fugue will give any top horse a race over 1m 2 - 1m 4 on quick ground, I'd put money on her beating them too!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:55 pm
Handicapper

Ubar02 wrote:
qwsa wrote:

Hasn't trained on?

Far too early to say that. Excuses for both defeats this season. (Not fully fit for debut, narowly beaten against top rated race fit animal. Ground too fast 2nd start when 3rd. Trainer says there was a problem but I think it may have just been the ground). Hopefully she will return in full health for her next start and we shall see.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:09 pm
Group 1 winner

bosra sham wrote:
Ubar02 wrote:
qwsa wrote:

Hasn't trained on?

Far too early to say that. Excuses for both defeats this season. (Not fully fit for debut, narowly beaten against top rated race fit animal. Ground too fast 2nd start when 3rd. Trainer says there was a problem but I think it may have just been the ground). Hopefully she will return in full health for her next start and we shall see.

I rest my case.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 pm
Group 1 winner

Case closed.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am
Group 1 winner

Ha forgot about this thread

Amazing training achievement to get Treve Tip Top for another Arc

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Well I still stand by the fact she hasn't trained on- on ratings she's still not as good as last year.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:38 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
Well I still stand by the fact she hasn't trained on- on ratings she's still not as good as last year.

:lol: not trained on but won a second arc oh my

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

To train on means the horse improves from one year to the next- Treve hasn't really improved that much, hence the horses were much closer this year than last year in a weaker arc. Yes she was impressive but it wasn't as good a performance as last year as she hadn't improved as much as WFA suggested she should. The confusion with training on is that we often see horses who haven't trained on apparently worsening- what actually happens is their raw ability doesn't change or get any worse, what instead happens is they don't improve enough to meet the change in WFA, so they appear to get worse. So, by this defnition, Treve hasn't trained on.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next