View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hello again, New to series. Just bought the game today. 
Selling plater

Post Hello again, New to series. Just bought the game today.
So i have no knowledge of horse racing pretty much.. Besides it involves a horse and that there is betting.. But i bought the game mainly for the management aspect.

So would like to pick your all brains a bit about the game(if you don't mind), So i started a new game bought 2 horses, didn't know a started with 3 lol. So i have 5 now, I've ran a few races now(tired about to head to bed).

I'm assuming they train auto after each day? Besides for gallop is my take so far, oh, i'm doing owner/trainer game.

My biggest question is, how do i train a good horse? is there a certain way of doing it, or is there multiple ways of doing it? I'm just looking to train just a good race horse. Maybe win a few races. As of right now finishing last mostly, and 1 2nd to last rofl. But i know there has got to be progression and not winning off the bat. Does actually doing races do anything as far as making your horse better, even if you don't win?

That's all for now as i'm about to pass out hopefully it makes sense extremely tired.

Thanks,

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:53 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Hello again, New to series. Just bought the game today.
Ok - there are a few ways to play the game - I believe at the moment you are playing with AI training so you don't need to train the horses but from what you have been writing I think you'd prefer to be able to train them as well. Well you can! Start a new game - you will get options on how to play - choose the trainer only option - this way means you have to prepare the horse/s for each start.
I don't play this way so I can't be of much help from here.

If you choose to play as owner/trainer - start in 'easy'. If you need to start again.....and you will probably have too as it takes a bit to get your head around the game - try to resist buying any horses at the start of the game. The horses you are given - at least one will be of ok quality where you can win "Listed" rated races - the secret is to race your horses in the right races that are suitable to your horses standards (Class 7 being the lowest standard and Group 1 being the highest standard).

Near the end of the season, sell the horses that aren't making you any money. I would resist buying at the end of year sale and try and buy a nice standard horse at the Thursday auctions that are held each week. Maybe look for a fairly young horse that has won a Group 3 race or who has placed in Group races.
I say resist buying at the end of the year auction because it is a lottery - if you buy from the Thursday auctions at least you get an idea of what you are buying.

At this stage of your game it is all about the bank and building it up. Your aim is to get enough cash up to be able to buy a breeding barn and to start breeding your own horses.
From there you can either breed to sell (remember it is about the bank) or race what you breed or a bit of both. But make sure you have some horses that are making some money on the track.
The Thursday sales each year will always throw up a young gun or two (2 or 3yo horses) so keep your eye on each auction and hopefully you'll have the cash to strike when that little champ comes along.
Once you have progressed much further into the game.......and you have plenty of cash coming in then you can really concentrate on breeding good horses and buying expensive 2yos at the end of year sales - be aware - just because the 2yo is expensive it doesn't mean it will be a top liner.

Gambling - stay away from it until you get your head around the game and you start getting a feel for the game - believe me, I made tens of millions if not a hundred mill from the punt but it is all about understanding the game and you will see "patterns" that will help you make a more informed punt. It is much easier to bet in the game than in real life.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 am
Selling plater

Spot on there NPG,

Just following up to what NPG wrote above if you want to win a few races as you said. Try to work out the "Handicap Rating".
The higher the rating of your horse, the higher the weight your horse will carry during the race.

So for example

in this race, "Ballymartin Trix" rated 67 carried 59kg compare to my horse "Tilsworth glenboy" only carried out 54.5kg

The less weight you carry the better the winning chances for you, however it reflects on your horse ability too. You will understand more as you progress.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:54 am
Selling plater

Awesome, Thanks for the reply's gonna start a new game. And go from there.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 pm
Group 1 winner

I know a fair bit about racing and it took me at least a half dozen times before I got a season to take off so don't be disheartened if it takes you more times.
It takes common sense and luck to get it going and having a healthy bank will improve your luck :)

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:51 pm
Selling plater

Ok, so i did my first 2 races, and both of my horses got injured. In their first race!

How can i prevent this? The one horse was Green ready to race and other was amber. Or was it just made luck lol

Thanks,

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:11 pm
Group 1 winner

Malaras wrote:
Ok, so i did my first 2 races, and both of my horses got injured. In their first race!

How can i prevent this? The one horse was Green ready to race and other was amber. Or was it just made luck lol

Thanks,

Wait for them to be green - hard to avoid injury....it's just how the game rolls.
Some horses need longer times between races than others so keep an eye on the training page.
And put your horses in the lowest possible race - unless you have struck SO6 lotto I doubt any of your horses can win Group races.
Also the ideal distance for each horse is a rough guide.....some can run really well either longer or shorter than the ideal distance.
Also check out the pinned topic (with vid) on this page about how to ride in a race....it's a great way to figure out if your horse needs to be held up during the race or to race handy etc.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:13 am
Group 1 winner

Horses will get sick randomly, but racing them unfit, namely Amber is a very good way to increase your chances. If your manually training which is the best way to play the management side you need to manage your races and training carefully, I usually find from Unfit red, you need roughly 15 to 20 days to obtain fitness at full training, once your running more frequently the training between races can be less, and note if you over train you can tire your horse and put him out for the season akin the over running a horse. Some may only have 5 races per year some considerably more depending on constitution. Say 20 days red to green and maybe 10/15 days from Amber. Also note green does not always mean fully fit their are degrees of freedom. What you want on your training page is 'raring to go' or 'fit and ready to race'.

As for better horses, chances are what you have now are not very good, in the early stages your looking for potential, higher the better and the top horses will be close to full by three years old. Keeping and experimenting with your early horses is a good thing, but money is also key early on, so auctioning some to build your stable, especially the breeding barn which is key, it will mostly be from breeding you get better horses, though you can get the odd one from auctions they are often a disappointment.

Finally if a horse is bad, it is bad, their is no way to make a crap horse into a superstar via training so know when to cut your losses and move on. If was you I would mess about with your current game learn the ropes and maybe start again when you have a clear picture. Every now and again your starting horses will feature a good 2yo.

Good luck

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]