View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Struggling horses 
Author Message
Selling plater

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Posts: 3
Post Struggling horses
Hi I'm relatively new to the game and currently have 2 horses rated in the low 100's and low 110's who currently cant win and either always place or finish in the bottom half of the field. I was wondering if theres any tips that can help get these horses to challenge for group wins. Also is it better to use simple training or to do it yourself?


Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:23 pm
Profile
Handicapper

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Posts: 103
Post Re: Struggling horses
I use Simple Training because I'd rather focus my time into racing and breeding.

Post pics of your horse's stats here and let's see what they're like!


Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm
Profile
Group 3 winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm
Posts: 586
Location: Fife, Scotland
Post Re: Struggling horses
The green bars are very imprtant in flat horses. Without seeing a picture of your horses it is hard to tell if they are capable of challenging for group races.

The most important geen bar is the green potential bar followed by the extra speed and cruising burst bars. I reckon you need at least a 75% potential green bar by the time the horse is 3yo to challenge for group races.

The best way to quickly increase the potential of your stable is to breed with gamebred horses, (these are horses produced by the AI in the game and not specifically bred by you).

You can go to auctions to find these gamebred horses but I find the best way is to start a new game on easy mode and look at the five horses the AI gives you, especially the stallions. If there is not a good horse, quit the game and start a new game and check the horses again. This is a very boring process but it can be very fruitfall. I started about 30 new games until I found a 5yo horse with 100% light green potential bar.

Once you find that good horse, import it into your main game and then send it to the breeding barn and breed with every mare in the barn. You will then start to breed horses capable of winning group races.


Most trainers use simple mode training when they first start using SO6. You can start using the more advanced training methods once you are more familiar with SO6.


One thing I have found in the game with lesser horses is to give the jockey a "challenge early" instruction. This sometimes helps.


Jim


Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Profile
Group 1 winner

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 am
Posts: 1976
Location: South Australia
Post Re: Struggling horses
A pic of your horses bars and past races would help but also some horses are just are not good enough to win Group races.

What region are you racing in? Not all G1s are equal - some are harder than others so it may help to target those races.

I race in Australia and if you race there I can point you to the easier G1s.


Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:59 pm
Profile
Selling plater

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Posts: 3
Post Re: Struggling horses
NPG319 wrote:
A pic of your horses bars and past races would help but also some horses are just are not good enough to win Group races.

What region are you racing in? Not all G1s are equal - some are harder than others so it may help to target those races.

I race in Australia and if you race there I can point you to the easier G1s.



I'm also racing in Aus Here's a pic of one of the horses stats and races
https://imgur.com/a/ncsYM


Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 am
Profile
Group 3 winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm
Posts: 586
Location: Fife, Scotland
Post Re: Struggling horses
Looked at the pic of your horses. The dark green potential bar needs to be about 15% better to have a good chance in G1 races.


Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:25 am
Profile
Group 1 winner

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 am
Posts: 1976
Location: South Australia
Post Re: Struggling horses
Nico7 wrote:
NPG319 wrote:
A pic of your horses bars and past races would help but also some horses are just are not good enough to win Group races.

What region are you racing in? Not all G1s are equal - some are harder than others so it may help to target those races.

I race in Australia and if you race there I can point you to the easier G1s.



I'm also racing in Aus Here's a pic of one of the horses stats and races
https://imgur.com/a/ncsYM


Your custom game looks great! :-)
I just play the stock version but it should be basically the same.
OK - sprint races to target - The Goodwood Hcp at Morphettville is the easiest sprint G1 to win - I am confident your horse can win that one.
Also the 1200m G1 on Melb Cup day is quite getable as well.
I would also target the G1 Hcp sprints - mainly the 1000m races - off the top of my head the Oakleigh Plate is one of them and the Newmarket Hcp over 1200m is another show where you might get in with a nice weight.
At WFA your horse will struggle a bit - no doubt at some stage in the straight it looks a winner.

I just noticed it's a 3yo now - it will start to pick up Group races soon. I have found with a sprinter like yours that at 4yo they do quite well and it usually carries into being a 5yo.
My strategy if your horse was mine - I'd target the Magic Millions over 1400m and I'd stick to all the 3yo sprints and maybe have a nibble at any open G2 and 3 sprints. From my experience your 3yo colt will struggle against older horses with the bars it has.
Wait til it's a 4yo to take on the open G1 sprints :-)

PS - target the Goodwood Hcp while it's a 3yo - it's around April from memory in the game so late in the season :-)


Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 am
Profile
Group 1 winner

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 am
Posts: 1976
Location: South Australia
Post Re: Struggling horses
Hmmmm just noticed it's stamina bar is quite full - forget about sprints.
Still target the Magic Millions but then aim at 1600m G1s and any of the 2000m G1s for 3yo.
Even have a go at the VRC Derby and AJC Derby as well.
It will win a G1 at 3yo.


Last edited by NPG319 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 am
Profile
Handicapper

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Posts: 103
Post Re: Struggling horses
His best form seems to be over a 1400/1600, so I would focus your efforts on Group 2/3 races around that class. With that stamina I would suggest trying "challenge early" for a jockey tactic.


Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 pm
Profile
Selling plater

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Posts: 3
Post Re: Struggling horses
NPG319 wrote:
Hmmmm just noticed it's stamina bar is quite full - forget about sprints.
Still target the Magic Millions but then aim at 1600m G1s and any of the 2000m G1s for 3yo.
Even have a go at the VRC Derby and AJC Derby as well.
It will win a G1 at 3yo.


He didn't win a group 1 until he was 5yo, funnily enough even though his best distance is the 1400/1600m he won the 2000m Cox plate


Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:35 pm
Profile
Group 1 winner

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 am
Posts: 1976
Location: South Australia
Post Re: Struggling horses
Nico7 wrote:
NPG319 wrote:
Hmmmm just noticed it's stamina bar is quite full - forget about sprints.
Still target the Magic Millions but then aim at 1600m G1s and any of the 2000m G1s for 3yo.
Even have a go at the VRC Derby and AJC Derby as well.
It will win a G1 at 3yo.


He didn't win a group 1 until he was 5yo, funnily enough even though his best distance is the 1400/1600m he won the 2000m Cox plate


I am not surprised he won a big race.

Once you start breeding you really have to take note of the stamina bar.
The best average distance really only applies to AI horses - you might have won a race at 3yo over 1600 but 2000m looked ideal. I would have had a crack at a Derby.
Send him to the barn and breed him with your best mares :-)


Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.