View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Favorite distance and stamina? 
Selling plater

Post Favorite distance and stamina?
Hey,

I have this colt that his ideal distance is 7f, but he has a lot of stamina. Does that mean that his favorite distance is 7f but he can run in longer races?
I think I'm gonna test him in the triple crown lol

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:24 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Favorite distance and stamina?
thats a 1 mile 1 furlong horse may be able to stretch to 1 mile 2 and be competitive at 1 mile would not race at 7 furlongs

best distance is just a very very basic guide

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

Probably quite versatile. Looks a nice prospect to experiment with.

Good luck with him.

https://www.sportsleagueladders.com/

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Handicapper

Once you start breeding horses, the breeding indicator is worthless. I've had horses bred for 1m4f that wanted 6f ultimately. Best you can do is start to recognize what bars typically go with what distances. For your horse, 1m1f looks the best and may be able to handle 1m2f. With his fairly high distance adaptability, he might be able to handle 1m-1m2f without too much issue. Pace in longer races might be the deciding factor ultimately. Once you recognize what bars equate to what distances, you can enter 2yos in the right races and get them perfect records when they retire. Since 2yo stats change through the entire 2yo year, they might want 5f in January but 1m2f by December. You have to know how to read the stats to enter them properly.

Your horse is also only a 3yo so he may want further as he gets older. He could even want further by the time October/November hits.

I'd certainly try him in the Triple Crown. I had a 1m1f horse take the Kentucky Derby and Belmont. My filly who I entered the Triple Crown with, too, stole the Preakness by a head. The two regularly came in 1-2 in many of the races they were ran together in so needless to say I've been breeding them together to hope for a Triple Crown horse. Thing is, you never know what the NPC horses will do. Best you can do is take a shot at it. If you lose, c'est la vie. There's always the next year. Worst case scenario, he wins nothing. Next worse case is that he only gets the Preakness. You won't know until you try. If he doesn't take the Belmont or even the Derby, then you know to breed him with a mare who wants a furlong or two longer than him in the hopes of getting a Triple Crown winner.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:56 pm
Selling plater

He won the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness but failed in the Belmont. He won the BC Classic too. He seems to run best 1m-1m2f

Thanks everyone for the tips

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 pm
Selling plater

Just retired him.. He is rated 140!

My first beast, can't wait to see his foals :)

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 am
Handicapper

Big fan of 1m2f horses with some distance adaptability. That way I can snag the mile prizes and triple crown races with a single horse. Only able to do that with two horses in about 30 games so far however, and one of those was bred from stock uploaded here to help people get breeding started.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]