View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Horse Preference? 
Selling plater

Post Horse Preference?
If a horse has a preference such as "Muddy Track" how important is that in the races you enter them in? How far in advance do you pick your races? In this example if I wait till close to race days I can find races that are raining but I will need to pay a late declaration penalty. So I'm trying to figure out if it is best to match the horse to the preferred track conditions or if it really matters.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:16 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Horse Preference?
Ok I can help here - Check to see if your horse has a full bar for track conditions on the horse's page. If so it is not that important with the going but of course you'll get it's strongest run on a wet track. If the bar is low then look for wet tracks as you'll only get average results on dry tracks.
I enter them in advance (6+ weeks if need be) until after mid season when you can enter them with a day or two notice.
Further down the track when you start buying/breeding really good horses - sometimes a wet tracker has enough class to win on dry tracks.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 am
Selling plater

Thanks for your suggestions! Would you ever consider pulling a horse out of a race on race day if conditions are not ideal?

I guess also these are pretty low grade horses I'm dealing with here LOL....maybe I"m over thinking at this point, but I"m trying to figure out how to get a little more out of these starter horses.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:12 pm
Group 1 winner

NoLimitDad wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions! Would you ever consider pulling a horse out of a race on race day if conditions are not ideal?

I guess also these are pretty low grade horses I'm dealing with here LOL....maybe I"m over thinking at this point, but I"m trying to figure out how to get a little more out of these starter horses.

Well sometimes I have nominated a horse to run on a good track and then when I go to race it the track is rated slow.
I personally wouldn't scratch it because it could still win.

Yeah they are low quality horses at the moment but you still need to amass prize money so thinking about the game and ways to get more out of your horses is important.
The further you go in this game the more new stuff you learn - new strategies new goals - breeding is a whole new game as well :-)

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:29 am
Selling plater

NoLimitDad wrote:

I might. It would also depend on the distance. If I had a horse that like running 1m on Dry Turf and I had them in a 7f on Wet Dirt, that would influence my thinking. But it definitely does make a difference in my limited experience.

This actually just happened to me about 30 minutes ago, and my horse became jaded.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:59 pm
Selling plater

Where do I look to determine whether a race is going to be slow, fast, etc

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm
Group 1 winner

If you look at the details of the course itself I believe it shows you some basic info, though I cannot say I pay this much mind.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]