View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Best horse you have bought from the auctions? 
Selling plater

Post Best horse you have bought from the auctions?
So after months and months of never finding anything useful finally got something that can get competitive.. anyone got a world beater out of there?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:02 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Best horse you have bought from the auctions?
I play breeding games for the league and always very quickly have tons of cash. I breed a stallion to a mass amount of mares and at the beginning of every season I buy the highest priced 2yo Colt and Filly at the beginning of the year auction in the hopes it will be good. The chances of getting a talented 2yo at the beginning of the year auction are very slim. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED...

ATTENTION MARK - 99.9% of the time the highest priced horses at the 2yo auction are untalented hacks. The high reserve price 2yo's at the 2yo auction SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE DEADWOOD THAT IS ALWAYS UP FOR SALE. I've picked up some 2yo's that had the highest reserve price and they had less than 50% potential. MARK - Please fix the 2yo auction so that the highest reserve price horses actually have talent.

The best horse I've gotten at auction? This was in SO5 I think - At a Thursday auction a 140 rated 4yo appeared who had won 20+ grade 1's. I bought that bad boy and even had some minor success with him in the league.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:02 pm
Group 1 winner

It is always good to note Game horses in the game that are well talented always check the big group races for talented horses and then follow them now and again some come up for Auction.

Gray

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Selling plater

SiriusChill wrote:
I play breeding games for the league and always very quickly have tons of cash. I breed a stallion to a mass amount of mares and at the beginning of every season I buy the highest priced 2yo Colt and Filly at the beginning of the year auction in the hopes it will be good. The chances of getting a talented 2yo at the beginning of the year auction are very slim. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED...

ATTENTION MARK - 99.9% of the time the highest priced horses at the 2yo auction are untalented hacks. The high reserve price 2yo's at the 2yo auction SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE DEADWOOD THAT IS ALWAYS UP FOR SALE. I've picked up some 2yo's that had the highest reserve price and they had less than 50% potential. MARK - Please fix the 2yo auction so that the highest reserve price horses actually have talent.

The best horse I've gotten at auction? This was in SO5 I think - At a Thursday auction a 140 rated 4yo appeared who had won 20+ grade 1's. I bought that bad boy and even had some minor success with him in the league.

Yeah it is something that could do with looking at, this is the only one I have got in months of the game. I guess in real life people pay silly money for 2 yos and yearlings that end up achieving nothing. I usually just buy a load to have some fun as a 2 yo early on and thats as far as it gets

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 pm
Group 1 winner

Always, ALWAYS check each and every mid week auction!

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:21 am
Handicapper

I've bought a few good 2yo at auction that won some G1 races, but the best was an 8yo stallion. He was rated ~128 and had won 16 G1 races... he lasted another 4 years and retired to the breeding barn with 30 G1 wins and became the start of my first good lineage. Loved that horse, shame I lost the harddrive that save was on. :( RIP Downthestretch

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I also buy most of the yearly auction crop in my games, and 99% are straight back in the next auction as they are rubbish, I would agree this needs to be looked at, however I also tend to see it as who would really sell their best horses anyway. I tend to use the auctions more to start a line so a new distance or to use a stat I do not have and breed it into a line gradually rather than expecting to get a star straight off the bat.

My best horse from auction was a 6yo colt who won everything in my first ever play through some years ago, that horse and his subsequent generations formed the foundation for pretty much everything I have in all my games to date, but I have not seen his likes since and where I am now with my homebreds is in advance of him now anyway.

But I still follow any horse than beats mine or even runs them close, but often as not when I am lucky enough to buy them, I am left scratching my head going wtf how'd I lose that one...... :)

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 am
Selling plater

This is the biggest part of the game that needs overhauling in SO7 imo.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:33 pm
Selling plater

ChrisOrmie wrote:
I've bought a few good 2yo at auction that won some G1 races, but the best was an 8yo stallion. He was rated ~128 and had won 16 G1 races... he lasted another 4 years and retired to the breeding barn with 30 G1 wins and became the start of my first good lineage. Loved that horse, shame I lost the harddrive that save was on. :( RIP Downthestretch

Yeah this is the main reason I buy them just to try and get a 5/6f stallion as they seem much harder to get hold of than the middle distance horses

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:39 pm
Group 1 winner

The mile division is always the easiest to crack due to the way breeding smooths out distances and often brings you back to the middle, sprints probably next as you can get the speed you need in auction and then breed this into your lines. The long distance stayers is the one I find the hardest, truth be told I have still not really cracked this division.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:54 am
Selling plater

I bought Edgeworth he was Gelded and 12 raced handful times in jump just small races 7th in national though, kept till 15, then won in small field race helped by being at front 2 fell other horse nearly got me on line....iv never cheered at a game as much...pitty that was the end of him then

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:57 am
Handicapper

I got a horse from mid-week auction auction this game that went on to win a G3, a G2 and one feature race (vanilla US schedule game). He was rarely out of the money in handicaps too. When I bought him he was a nearly unraced 5yo who had not placed in any of his first 3 races.

While he was not a world beater, he was consistent, laid back, and oddly had a mid-range constitution and enthusiasm. Perhaps it was that combo or some other hidden stat but this guy wanted to run race after race after race and took very little to recondition to best form. So sent him out very often, ask for an even pace and bring home bacon. Boring, in a good way, and so reliable that even though the head boy kept saying maybe I should geld him I didn't. He was my workhorse to buy my first breeding barn. And since he'd started to deteriorate by then, I plopped him right in it. He was listed as a 1m3f horse, but was really a 10 furlong guy who could go 9 or 11 too. Should be a nice start to a distance line.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:16 pm
Group 1 winner

Hechicera wrote:
I got a horse from mid-week auction auction this game that went on to win a G3, a G2 and one feature race (vanilla US schedule game). He was rarely out of the money in handicaps too. When I bought him he was a nearly unraced 5yo who had not placed in any of his first 3 races.

While he was not a world beater, he was consistent, laid back, and oddly had a mid-range constitution and enthusiasm. Perhaps it was that combo or some other hidden stat but this guy wanted to run race after race after race and took very little to recondition to best form. So sent him out very often, ask for an even pace and bring home bacon. Boring, in a good way, and so reliable that even though the head boy kept saying maybe I should geld him I didn't. He was my workhorse to buy my first breeding barn. And since he'd started to deteriorate by then, I plopped him right in it. He was listed as a 1m3f horse, but was really a 10 furlong guy who could go 9 or 11 too. Should be a nice start to a distance line.

That's a great story - I hope he really kick starts your breeding!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:42 am
Selling plater

Without any doubt, its hard to buy a really good horse from the auction. I've had 20-30 horses rated 140 in SO6/7 and without exception they were home-bred.

Typically my very best results from auction have been 'run of the mill' G1 winners rated up to 128-130 or so.

A good proportion of top-valued juveniles you see in auction are average racehorses. However in my experience around 10-20% of these will be Group horses in SO7. Its a lot tougher than SO6. However if you buy 5 of them, one will usually be good.

In my view by far the most valuable feature to a owner-breeder is the ability to buy Group-class mares. This is a no- brainer for me. Why risk 1.35m on an unraced filly when you can buy one that has already won G1 races, send it to the best available sires and wait for champions to pour out of your stud?

I do have a few tips for buying mares however, particularly if money is relatively limited (say under 10m and can't afford many mistakes).

- be sceptical of single Group wins, particularly at 2-3yo. Open G1's are generally far tougher to win and a real sign of quality though single freak results can occur.

- always be sceptical of ratings of mares and inspect them closely. Mares races are a lot weaker than open Group races as a rule and a couple of wide-margin wins in 1m4+ mares races can throw some funny numbers. I once had a mare who was a consistent 126 horse, struggling to win open G1 races. All of a sudden aged 5 she won a very weak mares G1 by a furlong and was rated 137. Retired her instantly and she threw 5 individual G1 winners rated up to 140.

- ALWAYS check the lineage of a potential broodmare purchase. If you're after real G1 quality only, I would recommend at least 3 grand-parents of the mare being prior G1 winners. Obviously 4 of them is what you love to see, and further gold circles in previous generations only add further substance to the bloodline.

- Make sure this mare is likely to throw horses at a trip that fits in with the stallions you want to send her to. For example if you have a stud full of staying horses then a sprint mare might not be your best option strategically. On the flip side if you own a champion stallion that was a prolific 5f winner and gets sprinters in his mould, even a terrific staying mare might not be the best purchase.

- if you have your own G1 winning stallions, as a rule always keep all mares that have won at Group level or been rated 100+ and breed them to your sire for 'free'. Even if they don't throw quality horses you can sell their offspring unraced in the Jan of their 2yo season and get millions in lifetime profit out of a mare that would sell for peanuts and may have not won a fortune on the track.

- generally I believe that a typical G1 winning mare will have a 50% chance of throwing a G1 winner at some pointherself if sent to top stallions. A champion mare winning 10+ G1 races will be more like 95% to birth at least one G1 winner and a 50% chance of having 2 or more.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:43 pm
Selling plater

maybe a bit late late to the party but went back to starter orders 6 as imo it is better ATM than 7 started a save sold all the horses at the start and brought a horse called the name is frank and he won the guineas and than it just took of as i bought better horse had a horse called masked man at one point who just won everyone over 2M it was insane i ended the save because i had a horse who won 3 arc's

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next