View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Buying Horses at Auction 
Group 2 winner

Post Buying Horses at Auction
I have been trying to improve the potential and extra speed of the horse below. In the past I have relied on improving my horse lines by breeding with horses in the breeding barn and not going to auctions. I am not a very patient person and get bored going to every Thursday auction.

I seem to have hit the wall with using the breeding barn, so other trainers have been posting screenshots of nice horses from autions and I thought I would give auctions a try.

I have started 2 new games, one in Australia and one in USA and have visited every auction in both games for the past 8 seasons each, but have never seen even a half decent horse come up for auction.

I am wondering if I have been too narrow in my choice of horses to buy. I have bought every group winner ( mostly G2 and G3, rarely a G1 winner ), and any other horse that has won 3 or more races.

What criteria do you use when buying horses at auction?

Maybe I need more patience and need to run the 2 games for longer.

Am I being too ambitious in trying to improve the bars of this horse?

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Buying Horses at Auction
Need the patients of a saint mate

I just look for something with 1 of the bars better than what i have

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

How do you get to see the bars of the horses in the auctions Paul ? (sorry for butting in Jim)

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Do you buy every horse you can or just group winners?

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 pm
Group 1 winner

Martin
you dont its pure pot luck - you only see stats once purchased it can be very tedious

Jim
I buy group winners and any 2yo with high reserve

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Wannabe wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Do you buy every horse you can or just group winners?

I'd say buy every 5 or 6 furlong horse, that's what u need.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:01 pm
Group 1 winner

I hit the same wall Jim, 30 seasons in on a game played only to find game horses and thus far I have found squat. Well one 80% cb horse but the rest of his stats are so bad he is just diluting my lines. I am sticking with what I have, click click click, buy buy buy, sell sell sell is doing my head in.

On the plus side I have re aquired my love for the total war series with the latest incarnation 'warhammer', welcome break from the tedium, and the other half seems to hate it less :)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 pm
Group 2 winner

I have given up on going to auctions. Played about 40 seasons and never found a horse I thought could help my breeding lines.

I decided to go back to the breeding barn as that is always what I have used before to improve my breeding lines. I started a new game and kept uploading 6 mares each season until I had abot 36 mares in the barn. I have found in the past that I get the best results using breeding barn stallions with my mares. It took about 35 seasons, but eventually I bred a stallion that I thought could improve my breeding lines.

It took about 6 seasons of cross breeding the stallion with my mares to produce this stallion. He is not quite 100% potential as a 3yo, but he's the closest I have come to it when combined with extra speed and cruising burst. The only problems are that he likes softer going and I think good/firmer going horses are better for the flat and so far there are no equivolent mares to breed him with.

While I was cross breeding to find this stallion, I also managed to breed a nice 5f stallion who likes firmer ground. Both horses are only about a length better in the CK than my existing horses, but I am now going stop breeding sprinters and milers for bars and try to breed these two stallions with the best CK mares to try and improve performance.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 pm
Group 1 winner

Jim I only trial my flat horses on good ground and my soft ground horse Shady Heights has had a fantastic season ( probably my best season by a 1m2f horse), he won the good ground trials and so he was good enough on good ground but I was worried about him being a soft ground but I was wrong and not only that but he didn't have 100 potential bar.

I would show u a pic but tinypics not working. I've sent u a pic of Shady Heights in u email.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 pm
Group 2 winner

Thanks for the pic John.

I usually trial my flat horses on good and good to firm ground, but like you, I have found some softer going horses do well in the better ground.

If the softer going horses are the best in the ck, I will use them for breeding. I do have a couple of decent 8f mares who like good ground, so I will try to breed with them first and see what happens.

I must admit, I am finding it takes me many seasons of breeding, sometimes going round in circles, to produce what I hope will be more competeive flat horses for next seasons league.

I have neglected my jumpers since the start of this seasons league. I hope they don't suffer for the neglect. I will give the flat my full attention until the end of February and whatever state the flat team is in, I will go back to my jumpers, as I like them best, for the last 7 weeks or so before the new league season starts.

I found tinpics not working as well, so used this image hosting site.

https://picoolio.net/

Hope you don't mind, but I uploaded the pic for others to see. Maybe it will give other trainers some inspiration.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:29 am
Group 1 winner

I'll have to try that site. U will go mad breeding flat horses, that's why I'm running down my flat team so I'm refreshed for the next game. Breeding jumpers is more fun because u never know what u going to get.

Keep us informed how u get on.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]