View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Advice needed - Breeding 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Advice needed - Breeding
I'm still wrapping my head around playing and out of date version of the game as it gives better stats...........

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 am
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:
I'm not having a go at u ( people can bred the way they want) but u way doesn't half make the game sound boring. Can I ask u a question, do u have any fun playing this game !

The original game does not interest me anymore. When you know you will win every race, the game loses it's fun.

So I actually made my own game within the game. Which is a lot more enjoyable than the actual game. Since I know my horses will always win, I just run my horses against each other on the CK after every season. Keep the top horses for each distance and delete the rest, kind of like King of the Hill. I have an HDB file for every distance.

If I didn't find a way to make it interesting then I would never play this game since I have so many games. And there are many more games on Steam with their discounts.

I actually prefer strategy and rpg games where u have figure out the optimal way to achieve a certain goal with the least amount of work. Or Min/Maxing stats.

I apply that to every game just like SO6. After some testing, I was able to figure out how breeding works. To beat any game you have to figure out how it works. I would usually move on after beating a game but we have the league.

I'd like to see every trainer improve even if it means I lose races. I'd rather win a few races against top trainers than win every race with lower trainers. That would be like my horses winning every race against the AI. Not very fun.

I wish there was a way to equalize the trainers.

Whilst I admire the sentiment, your method is directly at odds with your stated end state goal. On the one hand you have gone to extraordinary lengths to beat the game, and not for the sake of the game either as it does not compel you too, you like everyone else already win everything, and on the other you want everyone to be even for a little more competition, likely safe in the knowledge few to none have the time, ability or inclination to do the same.

And whilst I have a grudging respect for your approach, the time, effort and application alone leave me considering you have deserved your success, when I read stuff like playing older versions for a tiny percentage edge, it would just ring a little more truthful if you simply said you want to win. :)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:41 am
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
Whilst I admire the sentiment, your method is directly at odds with your stated end state goal. On the one hand you have gone to extraordinary lengths to beat the game, and not for the sake of the game either as it does not compel you too, you like everyone else already win everything, and on the other you want everyone to be even for a little more competition, likely safe in the knowledge few to none have the time, ability or inclination to do the same.

And whilst I have a grudging respect for your approach, the time, effort and application alone leave me considering you have deserved your success, when I read stuff like playing older versions for a tiny percentage edge, it would just ring a little more truthful if you simply said you want to win. :)

If I wanted to win more races, I could have just kept my secrets to myself and continue to improve my breeding lines into next season. Reading that Steve Rann lost his flat horses and Ghostzapper might not enter the flat next season means less competition and more wins.

It's actually kinda depressing to hear for me anyways. Combined those 2 accounted for 70ish wins on the flat so far.

I might just focus on the jumps side next season. Upload maybe 5 flats horses and that would be my stable.

If it was possible, for next season, I'd prefer it if was mandatory to have 10 gamebred and 10 trainer bred for the flat side and something similar for the jumps to make it more competitive.

I doubt that everyone will agree though.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:24 am
Selling plater

Thanks a lot for your opinions and explanations.
I didn't know that there might have been changes with the updates to the game. Yes, when I started playing again, I did all the updates and so I'm playing the current version 1.083
I just would have liked to enter the league once again and hopefully with a better result than last time, so I wanted to really dedicate some time to breeding.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 am
Selling plater

thunderspark1 wrote:

The explanation is very long and I think I offered an explanation to you before but you did not want that if I remember. But if you want the detail then let me know and leave an email so I can contact you.

I'm not gonna post it here. Not everyone is interested.

Well, you didn't address me with this offer, but I would really be interested in your explanation. I guess if I really want to be the least bit competitive in the league, I need every bit of advice I can get because I'm really a good deal behind with my lines.
My eMail is sweet.tara@gmx.de

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:55 am
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

If I wanted to win more races, I could have just kept my secrets to myself and continue to improve my breeding lines into next season. Reading that Steve Rann lost his flat horses and Ghostzapper might not enter the flat next season means less competition and more wins.

It's actually kinda depressing to hear for me anyways. Combined those 2 accounted for 70ish wins on the flat so far.

I might just focus on the jumps side next season. Upload maybe 5 flats horses and that would be my stable.

If it was possible, for next season, I'd prefer it if was mandatory to have 10 gamebred and 10 trainer bred for the flat side and something similar for the jumps to make it more competitive.

I doubt that everyone will agree though.

That would only work if the races were filtered in a way so that only gamebred horses could enter, else the trainer bred would still just own them when they meet. It would also make the whole thing a lot more based on luck in the auctions, not to mention the fact that the current set of players likely have hardly any gamebreds. I for example have none. You may end up with a load of small fields.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 am
Selling plater

Are you only looking for gamebreds in auctions?
I grew so tired of going to every auction that I quit and went back to starting new games. I did have to start a load of new games, but eventually found gamebreds with the needed stats. Have never found one in an auction. Except for one 90% potential 2yo in the start of season auction.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:29 am
Handicapper

Illyria wrote:
I grew so tired of going to every auction that I quit and went back to starting new games. I did have to start a load of new games, but eventually found gamebreds with the needed stats. Have never found one in an auction. Except for one 90% potential 2yo in the start of season auction.

Not sure who your question is for.

But for me I don't go to auctions. I did at the beginning when I first got the game and bought many mares. Other than that I just start new games on easy mode and look for a horse with a specific stat that I want added to my breeding lines.

I think others have said that they do but I find it easier to start a new game and look at the stats of 5 new horses

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 pm
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

That's either Rude or Arrogant in my eyes. Paul will be a match for any trainer next season, if Kelly comes back ( I wonder what's happened ) next season then his horses are as good as anyone's and I'm sure the rest will be getting better so don't count u chicken's. :roll:

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:11 pm
Handicapper

if mine don't refuse i will be a force to be reckoned with ;)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:17 pm
Handicapper

ghostzapper74 wrote:
That's either Rude or Arrogant in my eyes. Paul will be a match for any trainer next season, if Kelly comes back ( I wonder what's happened ) next season then his horses are as good as anyone's and I'm sure the rest will be getting better so don't count u chicken's. :roll:

Lol I find it hilarious that you always seem to think I'm trying to attack/belittle everyone.

Lighten up. I didn't mean anything negative

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:10 pm
Group 1 winner

End of the day - there is more than one way to breed G1 winners. How one gets there is one's own choice.

If you have plenty of time on your hands then it gives you the chance to really knuckle down on breeding. If you live a busy lifestyle then you play and breed when you can.

Which brings us back to another thread elsewhere - make sure there are plenty of low/er handicap races to keep the new players and the casual players engaged in the league.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:16 am
Group 2 winner

Illyria wrote:

I have done the same, given up looking for gamesbreds in auctions. I either use the breeding barn or start multiple new games.

If the league was changed to only be for gamebreds, I for one would not join the league.

Relying on getting decent gamebreds in my opinion is too random. I have gone to every thursday auction for 30 seasons and never found a decent gamebred, so I stopped going to auctions.

Having recently retired, I now find I have time to spend trying different methods of breeding, (don't know how successful it will be), but I am enjoying the challenge.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm
Group 2 winner

NPG319 wrote:
End of the day - there is more than one way to breed G1 winners. How one gets there is one's own choice.

If you have plenty of time on your hands then it gives you the chance to really knuckle down on breeding. If you live a busy lifestyle then you play and breed when you can.

Which brings us back to another thread elsewhere - make sure there are plenty of low/er handicap races to keep the new players and the casual players engaged in the league.

I think the league schedule is getting better at creating low level handicap races, especially on the flat. I have not actually counted handicaps V group races on the flat, but it seems to me to be about 50-50.

I think that the jumps is where the handicap races may need to be looked at. I never really noticed before, but as a racerunner I noticed that many handicap races are 0-140. I don't know the average handicap of some of the lesser trainers, but perhaps having some jumps handicap races reduced to 0-120 might help. Gray has tried this with the Starters Orders series of races. However, if too many races were reduced, it would leave a trainer like me in limbo with some of my horses. Out of my 30 NH horses this year, I have about 10 capable of competing in group races, about 10 horses who have less than 120 handicaps, but where would I be able to run the other 10 if the handicap limit was reduced in too many races.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:02 am
Group 1 winner

Echo that, from my experience, if you knock it down a tier you will hurt the mid range trainer, most of my team are not top group standard but too good to be decently weighted in handicaps, top weight kills all, a 120 cap I think will leave most of current team no place to go. So if I do not break the uber trainers hold on all the group races and am too good to effectively handicap I'd also be in limbo I think.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next