View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Help to keep the game interesting 
Handicapper

Post Help to keep the game interesting
can anybody give me any tips on keep the the game interesting .i am finding the game frustrating at the moment with the will documented problem with home bred horses being far superior than the game bred after a few seasons of breeding, as much as it is great competing in all the top group 1 races it makes the game boring when you know after a few seasons the competition is going to be a lot poorer , for example when you run well bred 2 yo and keep winning by a large distance. I have tried selling of some of my 2yo to make it more competitive but I would rather like to not know what I am up against.

I am not a league player, so I was hoping somebody could help to keep the interest going until SO 7 is released

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Help to keep the game interesting
Gaz wrote:
can anybody give me any tips on keep the the game interesting .i am finding the game frustrating at the moment with the will documented problem with home bred horses being far superior than the game bred after a few seasons of breeding, as much as it is great competing in all the top group 1 races it makes the game boring when you know after a few seasons the competition is going to be a lot poorer , for example when you run well bred 2 yo and keep winning by a large distance. I have tried selling of some of my 2yo to make it more competitive but I would rather like to not know what I am up against.

I am not a league player, so I was hoping somebody could help to keep the interest going until SO 7 is released

Not sure what you play or what mods and schedules but try a different Schedule or try a Combined schedule which I play keeps you busy all year round breeding for the flat and jumps.

Gray

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

I was at a similar stage and found myself getting bored with regularly cleaning up the big races. What I did was set myself some strict rules on the number of horses I kept and how I played.

I used a random number generator to sell 50% of my yearlings unraced and also to 'retire through injury' between 1 and 4 horses mid season. Then at the end of each season I would only keep 15 - 20 2yo, 15 - 20 3yo, maybe half a dozen older flat horses and about 15 - 20 NH horses.

Any horse that remains a maiden after 3 runs is discarded and only first 2 runs can be in maiden races. For NH only 4yo hurdlers can remain entire. If progressing to a 5yo hurdling or chasing career they are gelded.

I restrict 2yo to no more than 4 runs per season, 3yo about 6 or maybe a 7th in a breeders cup or hong kong race if going to stud/retirement.

I only keep 4 working stallions at a time and retire everything from the barn at 11.

About 20 seasons in I would say I bred about 70% of the horses in the better races but now find my cast offs beat me at least some of the time.

I am putting a league team together so that has kept it worthwhile and realise that I could have given away a world beater using this method but if I hadn't I think I would have got a little bored and given up by now as regularly winning 2yo group races by 10+ lengths loses its interest after a while.

I guess the other alternative is to play a non breeding game and just use gamebred horses although I would think that would probably bring its own problems as breeding potential champions seems to be the best 'thrill' of the game

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Thanks for the tips, one other idea I have came up with to keep things competitive is to set a rule that I only breed with my own mares , and to add some quality horses to the game each season breed a large amount of game nares to my stallions and sell them at auction hopefully this method will keep thing competitive.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]