View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Hello All and a Few Questions from a Beginner 
Selling plater

Post Hello All and a Few Questions from a Beginner
Wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone!

First and foremost, thank you to everyone for all the invaluable information, tips and coaching found on the site. I am new but can tell this game has a wonderful player base that helps each other. That can make a world of difference in the enjoyment of the game.

I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there....I apologize in advance if these have been answered et nausem. I tried my best to use due diligence in searching, beforehand.

1) Do stats other than Potential rise as the horse matures? I ask more for breeding purposes than the actual performance of the horse, as it ages. IE, if you identify what you think to be a good breeding candidate horse, is it best to race it to a certain age to "optimize" stats or are these stats fixed?

2) I believe the best route in starting off in the game is to start a breeding game and then identify potential breeding horses in other game instances and transfer them over? I see that the max you can transfer is 6....is that per game or per year?

3) Not sure how to word this next question but I will try :P. Basically, do winning Championship courses have a bearing on offspring? Let's say I have two male horse options, both with the exact same stats (for ease of explaining), however one has won several "big" races while the other's claim to fame has been allowance and handicap race wins. All being equal, is the Championship horse a better stud?

Thank you in advance for any advice, tips and knowledge you can provide!

-Wroidwrage

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Hello All and a Few Questions from a Beginner
G'day and welcome to the community.

Let's jump in to your first question.

I am only talking about flat horses as I only play a flat game being an Australian so for hunt horses/racing things may be different.

1) As you may have notice when a horse turns 3yo it's cruising burst can improve and occasionally it's speed bar.
Also the horizontal bars in the top left corner of your screen change when a horse turns 3 as well. It's stamina bar can change and can change rapidly during it's 2yo year and improve when turning 3. Also the horizontal speed can improve or decrease at 3 and the acceleration bar can improve too.
I find that the average horse peaks at 5yo and can hold that peak through it's 6yo year. I send them to the barn at the end of it's 5yo season but I used to race them as 6yo and earlier in my career I'd race them even older - the choice is up to you - always good to race a stable favourite and see it winning - especially early in your career when money is tight I think it can be worth racing a horse that still wins races.

2) Yes 6 per year and getting into breeding early is the best way to improve your stable and bank account from selling off weaker horses.

3) Good question. Probably best answered by PJRhodes or Ghostzapper - I would lean to the horse that won the big races but in saying that I'd use both horses to breed with. There is a chance that the lesser horse was more suited to a not popular race distance. For example in my Australian game I have had horses that were really good over 1400m - 7f, 1800m - 9f and 2200m - 11f but not so good either side of those distances but there are not many races in a season over those distances, especially the 2200m/11f races so it may appear the horse isn't so good but in fact it is but by chance it doesn't get a chance to shine as a 1200m/6f, 1600m/miler, 2000m/10f or 2400m/12f horse would because of the many races over those classic trips.

Also cruising burst, speed and potential bars are important so if you find a horse with very high or full bars in those three - pop them into your barn, even if the other two bars are rubbish - they are traits you need down the track :-)

Doug

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:24 am
Selling plater

Thanks Doug for the thorough explanation to all my questions. It is much appreciated!

1) My first attempt at breeding was using 3 year olds but after your advice, I will wait a few more years before studding. I certainly could use the money from winning races this early on in my career and it sounds as if 3 yr olds have not realized their full breeding potential, to boot.

2) I am still trying to figure out the best way to establish my "breeding farms". I see where some people use different game instances for the different distance horses. My OCD gets the best of me in these type games and I spend more time making things neat and orderly then I do playing, sometimes :P . Good to hear it's six per year, nonetheless.

3) The reason I ask is because in certain ways, this game reminds me a tad of Derby Owners Club, a racing game I was addicted too, many moons ago. It has similar qualities in horse development and that was a huge key in the success of offspring in that game. Luckily, food doesn't play a part here! That was tedious!

Great advice on the other attributes. I appreciate your insight.

Thank you again for tips and knowledge!

-Wroidwrage

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:27 pm
Group 1 winner

Oh I made a mistake - not HORIZONTAL but VERTICLE BARS top left corner.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:29 pm
Selling plater

I knew what you meant ;)

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:55 pm
Group 2 winner

Come and watch the league races on the live streams on youtube. Cheltenham festival starts tonight. Doug (NPG319) and myself do the commentary. The chat box is active and most of the leagues top trainers are in there chatting. Come on join in in the fun. Starts 8pm tonight link in the Online league forum where you will also find loads of tips and pointers.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Selling plater

That's sounds like fun! What time zone is the 8 PM? EST, here. Oh, and where is the Online Forum? I am sure I am just missing something....

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm
Group 1 winner

Click on Staters Orders on top of the page here - and a list of different topics come up - just scrolled down to the 'Online league forum' and click on that :-)

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 am
Handicapper

Wroidwrage wrote:
Basically, do winning Championship courses have a bearing on offspring?
-Wroidwrage

Welcome!

I'm not one of the super-breeders. But I do have a firm opinion on this from the data I have seen. The answer is "No". But the horse must have had the stats to have won those races. So, usually, the AI would at least enter them and win some.

The reason I say "no". is at the start of a game, it generates horses with a wide age range. I have twice bought older horses (ages 9+) out of the game in season one or two. They had won some high end handicaps, or maybe an easy listed at that age but no black-type races. At that age they weren't competitive in them, but the stats were fantastic. In the breeding shed they produce very well. Like this fellow:

As you can see no graded wins, and his light potential bar was over 90 when I first nabbed him, but it is now decaying. He has produced multiple Grade1 winners. Most bred when his bar was still 90s and all had 90+ bars and that speed and many of the other bars. He had only handicap wins though having entered the game as a 9yo.

So, early in the game if you see a 9+ yr old mare or stallion with a couple of nice handicap 95 wins, and can buy them cheap, do it, and check them out. May get one like this guy.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 pm
Selling plater

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated!

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]