View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 horse speed decrease from 1yo to 2yo 
Selling plater

Post horse speed decrease from 1yo to 2yo
Hi i recently bred a few new horses,most had there speed to the top,and 1 had stamina to the top,now they have turned 2yo there speed has decreased also the stamina on the 1 horse has decreased,any idea why ?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:57 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: horse speed decrease from 1yo to 2yo
I believe the stats you see at 1yo are the stats for when your horse/s turn 3yo.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 pm
Selling plater

ah right thanks mate

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:00 pm
Handicapper

Is this the proper explanation for the decrease in speed from yearlings to two year olds? Same thing happened to me with my first crop.

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm
Handicapper

NPG319 wrote:
I believe the stats you see at 1yo are the stats for when your horse/s turn 3yo.

I have not seen this said before. Most interesting. Must admit I don't look too much at my yearlings as you can't do anything with them until they turn two. I have had a few with max stats that drop, but thinking about it they do bounce back once training and racing starts. Though I am not certain they always fully return to max - will watch in future.

Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm
Selling plater

Cruising Speed drops by about 20 points when a horse turns 2, and goes back to it's original value as a 3 year old.

No idea why it's designed / coded this way, it just is.

Extra Speed bar doesn't move, regardless of age.

Potential bar will increase from what you see at 1 year old, until the horse is fully mature (maybe 3 year old, maybe 8 year old, depends on the horse). So if you get a yearling with 80 potential, it could quite easily end up as 90+ .

Equally, the potential deteriorates as breeding horses get older. That's why you'll see 18 year old stallions with less than 40 potential sometimes. Certainly if I ever saw a really old stallion that still had 75+ ability, I'd be keen to breed from it, as it's actual potential bar would probably be 90+.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:13 am
Group 1 winner

The bars show the horse in terms of its relative race ability now so an 18yo is not going to look very good on paper, but that horse will still breed horses based on its peak maturity. Don’t clear out your breeding barn as they age they can still breed good horses regardless of current ability.

As of the decline the 1yo version shows the horse as it will be when it matures, in the old game this used to be 3yo for me but I think that is more to do with the way my lines matured, with so7 changing the way horses mature so up to 8yo etc for jump horses, the 1yo version gives you insight as to what the horse will be when it reaches peak, some will recover this back at 3yo some later. It is not something to worry about it happens to all of us. Manual training can also be used to develop certain aspects but it is not an exact science.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:50 am
Handicapper

In my first crop of approximately 20 yearlings, all experienced a drop in cruising burst, anywhere from 10 to 20 percent, and half a reduction in speed from 10 to 25 percent.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:26 pm
Handicapper

Very difficult to keep track of yearling to 2yo stat changes, and therefore hard to reach any definite conclusions. I have delivery of between 100 and 150 yearlings each year and make notes in a writing pad of each horse with max speed or max stam, plus others with any 80% plus attribute. I have to do this because you cannot add a note in the game to yearlings (at least not that I have worked out how to do). At 2yo with the horse in the racing yard, I add these notes via the 'n' button. So at that stage I have a little idea as to which horses may be better as 2yo and which should improve as 3yo. And which ones may be good over a longer distance when older. But there is no absolute answer, and the only way to know the real potential of a horse is to watch it racing. I keep between 15% to 20% of the horses I breed, and take them out of the game once they pass their peak in racing or it becomes obvious they are not going to develop. Obviously the best earners go to the breeding barn. And horses with a good attribute I think might be passed on. Much longer process of course with NH horses because you can be waiting until they are 8yo before they reach their highest potential.

After over twenty seasons I view all stats differently from the early days, and judge more by race performance. I try a few different things with the under performers, though often to no avail. I have no problem controlling a combined race yard of well over 200 horses, which will tell you I give horses plenty of time to prove themselves.

So, don't be put off by the stat drop between yearling and 2yo. SO7 would be pretty boring if you could simply work out how well a horse will perform in the future based on that information.

Githyanki makes a very good point about stat bars in breeders. Results from the breeding barn are, I think, a bit of a mystery to all of us. I do what I think is right and occasionally it works. But the longer I play this game, stats become merely guidelines and not the sole way to judge a horses worth/potential.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Handicapper

Thanks for sharing. Not put off at all, just seeking to understand game mechanics and ensure my experience isn't an outlier. Only wish there was more such discussion for new players....my usual harangue.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 pm
Group 1 winner

There used to be, it changed a little with SO7 and the creation of league mode as all the league players, like myself, now have a different game experience as we cannot see the main set of bars or export horses around etc, I comment less as a consequence as our experiences differ.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Handicapper

I am sure you are right Githyanki.

Also, I would be doubtful how many new players SO7 has attracted, and perhaps more pertinently, kept hold of. Easy level is ridiculously hard and time consuming. Not that I want too many more tweaks to it myself, as I am 20 seasons in and like a real good challenge. Perhaps the developer needs to create a Very Easy mode, where new players can win most of the top races inside say ten to fifteen seasons. In my opinion even this would be fairly challenging and probably take 150 hours or more without cheating. My understanding is that it would not impact on League racing. And it would lead to more enthusiasm and discussions on here as new players moved their gameplay up a level or two as they became more experienced. I do envy the league racers as they seem to have a community spirit on this forum that the vanilla community no longer has. PC gaming needs to be fun and SO7 is a hard slog for newbies, and even more so when information and help is hard to come by.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 pm
Group 1 winner

The trick whether your starting for the league or just fun and want a easier ride is money, that is best achieved by starting the game over and over and over until you get something that will win races consistently off the bat, then just bet everything you have, you can save and restart to be safe. You can bank millions in the first year hundreds of millions soon after that, G1 winners tend to be not hard to come by when money is no object.

I would not do it if I wanted a game challenge though.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:16 pm
Group 2 winner

I have to admit I had forgotten about the stats at 1 thing from SO6 and haven't really been paying much attention to the yearlings because, as someone said, you can't actually do anything with them.

In SO6 when playing combined the yearlings went into the stable at 1 and I used to do the sift then and get rid of the ones that were no good. Since SO7 I have been culling at 2.

What is everyone else doing, culling at 1 or waiting until they are 2 as you can't really race 100+ 2yo every season unless you are called Jack Berry.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

I'm still not convinced that the 1yo stats in SO7 reflect how a horse will be at 3yo. I currently have a 3yo that had 100% speed as a 1 yo, it dropped to 80% as a 2yo and though it improved in its third year is still barely 90%. So there may be a third year return to stats some of the time but certainly not always.

I don't cull 1yo's. They are no bother where they are. I start culling from May onwards with 2yo's (UK), the ones that look least likely. I don't sell them as the AI will turn horses with awful stats into better horses than the ones you keep (one infuriating aspect of SO7 and not in keeping with 'real life'). I do keep a few until 3yo's without racing them - the ones with low juvenile constitution - occasionally you get a decent horse. I tend to race most 2yo with 80% plus potential, even if realised potential is a little short of that. You can have a bit of fun with them in novices and maidens - this season I have had about a dozen horses winning such races and a couple of those won featured races in September. I reckon two or three more will improve next season and be more than handy. I rarely cull 3yo's - may as well keep them a bit longer as an occasional one does improve. But at 4yo they have either won well and go to breeding or they get their P45. I don't run 5yo's and over on the flat as the prize money return is so poor.

Not saying the way I play is right - but I find it fun. 80% of your foals will be duds. Of the remaining 20%, only a very few will go on to be good/very good. No idea about superstars as I have never had one !

NH horses are a different thing of course to the above in terms of timescales but the one in five ratio is about the same.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next