View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sending 2yo to the field 
Group 3 winner

Post Sending 2yo to the field
Howdy

When i buy a 2yo that prefers a longer distance race, is there any point to entering it in the only available short races?
Am i missing any potential development by sending it out to the field until the longer distance races become available for 3yo+?
Does sending a horse to the field have any benifit other than making your available list shorter?

Cheers

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Sending 2yo to the field
Jango wrote:
Howdy

When i buy a 2yo that prefers a longer distance race, is there any point to entering it in the only available short races?
Am i missing any potential development by sending it out to the field until the longer distance races become available for 3yo+?
Does sending a horse to the field have any benifit other than making your available list shorter?

Cheers

No, you're not missing anything. If I have a long distance horse, I keep them out of the field, but I don't race them. I rarely have a St. Leger type horse who's had a race at 2yo. The worst thing you could do is race the horse over the wrong distance.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 am
Group 3 winner

Great, thanks for that Degaussed. :D

I read somewhere that running a horse that gets easily beaten can affect the confidence stat, but my top horse rated @ 126 has nothing in the confidence bar.
Do you know if the confidence stat is doing anything at all, i figure the confidence should be greater than zero by now?

Cheers

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 am
Group 1 winner

Not entirely sure I agree it is the worst thing you can do. 2yo development is still development there are 1.1m & 1.2m to be found on most 2yo schedules and even the long distance sorts can win a 6f maiden if they are good enough. I tend to run all mine at 1m and up regardless of preferred distance including my 2m horses, not noticed any ill effects have seen positives.

Last edited by Githyanki on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 am
Group 1 winner

There is something in confidence but it is very hard to pin down effect, repeatedly and needlessly racing them in races they will lose is likely unwise but not sure I have ever really seen a definite issue born out of low confidence.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:59 am
Group 1 winner

As for the field it is best used for horses who are not behaving, your head lad will sometimes suggest a period in the field to settle them down again. I have also tried to use it to recover over raced youngsters but without much success.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:05 am
Handicapper

Usually I run them in the longest maiden available at season start, then hold them back until (US flat schedule) we get the 1m races that even those 1m5f horses can be competitive in. Usually I'll get 2-3 wins in their rookie seasons, enough to judge the horse and fill their potential.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

And it is that last point on filling their potential that is the key to running them at 2yo.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 am
Group 3 winner

I think i will now keep my distance 2yo's in the active list.
i'm worried that a horse needs the training through the season to get the best end of season bump in stats (unless anyone can tell me differently).

Thanks for the replies

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 pm
Group 1 winner

It is less the training and more the racing. Horses have two variants of potential, realised dark green (how good they are) and unrealised light green (how good they may become) though unrealised does increase and convert to realised at season end it will also or may also improve after races. I like to get 5 runs into them at 2yo. Sometime more will also see a benefit but it can play havoc with their stamina. If your not exporting for the league though this does not really matter as they will recover when they age.

Most recent example was 9 races at 2yo to get from 50% realised (90% unrealised) to 85% realised end of 2yo season, was 95% at 3yo and he is in contention for a league spot trail now. Pretty sure he would not have made it without all the runs, if anything this is a recent learning for me as I was always steadfast that 5 was enough.

Last edited by Githyanki on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:01 pm
Group 1 winner

Worth adding some will not improve no matter what you do with them, but they maybe useful in breeding.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:05 pm
Handicapper

Jango wrote:
Great, thanks for that Degaussed. :D

I read somewhere that running a horse that gets easily beaten can affect the confidence stat, but my top horse rated @ 126 has nothing in the confidence bar.
Do you know if the confidence stat is doing anything at all, i figure the confidence should be greater than zero by now?

Cheers

Confidence definitely plays a part, but it's hard to pinpoint. I've ran a horse with low confidence in too difficult territory too soon, and then he found it difficult to win for a while in races he should have been bolting up.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 pm
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
It is less the training and more the racing. Horses have two variants of potential, realised dark green (how good they are) and unrealised light green (how good they may become) though unrealised does increase and convert to realised at season end it will also or may also improve after races. I like to get 5 runs into them at 2yo. Sometime more will also see a benefit but it can play havoc with their stamina. If your not exporting for the league though this does not really matter as they will recover when they age.

Most recent example was 9 races at 2yo to get from 50% realised (90% unrealised) to 85% realised end of 2yo season, was 95% at 3yo and he is in contention for a league spot trail now. Pretty sure he would not have made it without all the runs, if anything this is a recent learning for me as I was always steadfast that 5 was enough.

I've only ever noticed horses improving within their first three or four runs of the season. Anything after that, such as stamina changes, tend to happen at the back end of the season.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm
Handicapper

Degaussed wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

I've only ever noticed horses improving within their first three or four runs of the season. Anything after that, such as stamina changes, tend to happen at the back end of the season.

I've had one or two that improved through ~8 races, but they are few and far between - usually those with big bars for Juvenile Constitution. If I don't max their potential by race 5, I usually sell them or retire them to the barn in case they turn out to be good for breeding.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

ChrisOrmie wrote:
Degaussed wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

I've had one or two that improved through ~8 races, but they are few and far between - usually those with big bars for Juvenile Constitution. If I don't max their potential by race 5, I usually sell them or retire them to the barn in case they turn out to be good for breeding.

Sometimes horses are slow burners, so I try to take a Sir Michael Stoute approach to them and gradually bring them along slowly. I've had horses not reach their max potential (which was >90%) until their 5yo season, but they came demonic when they did.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next