View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Lack of Quality Fillies in Games 
Group 2 winner

Post Lack of Quality Fillies in Games
Hi

I have noticed a lack of fillies in my games. If I breed 24 foals and about 12 are fillies and 12 are colts, I find that only 1 or 2 fillies make it to 3yo whereas 4 or 5 colts make it to 3yo. I must admit I set high standards as to what horses make it past the 2yo culling process, usually based on what the green bars look like.

I tried a little cheating by restarting new seasons a few times until I bred more yearling fillies than colts, but even when there are twice as many fillies bred than colts, the percentages don't vary very much.

Do you notice the same thing in your games or is it just an anomally in my current game?

When it comes to the breeding barn I have a good selection of stallions to breed with, but I find I have to keep importing mares from ttf files to supplement the mares in the barn and without new quality mares to breed with it is hard to improve the quality of the foals being produced.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Lack of Quality Fillies in Games
Thank god its not just me it takes me ages to get a pool of fillies at each distance

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

i think as regards fillies u need to breed them as theyre the key to breeding good horses, stallions are 2 a penny its about finding that 1 decent filly then breed the hell out of her i got 1 early called musical bliss she was a beast.you also need to put a few generations in before crossing the lines again.another thing ive noticed is that the longer distance colts carry the extra speed they generally transfer it to the offspring and the filly carries the speed bar so if you get a good cross pair it should give you a nice horse just a few thoughts

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 pm
Group 1 winner

Not the case for me.
Getting gun colts is harder for me - not that I need many - but I seem to breed really good fillies/mares or I breed fillies and mares with desirable bars who may not be very successful on the track but they have something to pass on.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 am
Group 1 winner

to elaborate on my point i could have a 100 horses in barn

they produce 50 colts 50 fillies

maybe 20+ colts raceable maybe a 5 or 6 of the fillies raceable therefore takes longer to
get a pool of fillies in the CK

this only matters with the classic horses and some of the 2yo divisions as at most ages and distances
it does not matter if you have colts or fillies.

Is this the point you were making Jim

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Have the same, always get a significant number, i’d guess at 7 or 8 to one, lopsided in favour of colts when breeding. Am some 50 seasons in on the two games I am playing and they both have much the same outcomes. Had many years where post cull there are no fillies in my stable for that crop.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 am
Handicapper

I feel like I get nothing but good fillies from breeding. Getting a top class stallion, however, is a different story!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 pm
Group 2 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

maybe 20+ colts raceable maybe a 5 or 6 of the fillies raceable therefore takes longer to

this only matters with the classic horses and some of the 2yo divisions as most ages and distances

When I upload horses to the league I like to have one mare and one stallion for most distances, especially in my jumps team as there are quite a few races for mares only. The flat team, it is only the 1000 guineas and the Oaks that I worry about fillies, the rest are usually colts.

When it comes time to select horses for the league, I probably have 3 or 4 good stallions I could upload but maybe only one average\good mare because of the ratio of mares to stallions I breed.

If I am breeding 2 mile hurdlers I might breed 50 foals from a generation of horses. I find that about 40 are colts and about 10 are fillies. After the 2yo culling process, I probably have 10 colts and 1 or 2 fillies. I feel that this leaves very limited options.

When it comes to the breeding barn, I probably send inferior mares to the barn just to make up the numbers and you never know, you might get a pleasant surprise and breed a winner from such pairings. I think John once said in another thread, "if you through enough mud at a problem, some of it will stick".

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Share your pain mate, I have to give my fillies a trial pass else I would not get anything to pick in the final team cut, for this year the biggest issue is the 2.4m hurdlers, hardly a filly in sight right now and I know i’ll load a weaker horse just to get a girl in the team. Is better at 2m though. Seems that others have the reverse issue though so I wonder if it is defined in the breeding horse now, so for example maybe certain horses have a higher percentage of breeding a certain sex? Might be worth looking at that in more detail.

I also send inferior girls to the barn assuming the colt could bring them up to snuff, though of late I have reduced this and just use my transfer pool more to offset.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 am
Group 2 winner

You could be correct about certain horses breeding colts or fillies. Just started a new game to try for a national horse. I was using an average 4 mile gamebred stallion with my best 3 mile mares and I am getting just as many fillies as colts. None are much good, but at least I am getting a good mixture of the two.

The only trouble I find when I use the transfer pool for my mares is I breed an awfull lot of clones with such a limited variety of mares to choose from and clones are no good for the league.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:09 pm
Group 1 winner

Wannabe wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

this only matters with the classic horses and some of the 2yo divisions as most ages and distances

When I upload horses to the league I like to have one mare and one stallion for most distances, especially in my jumps team as there are quite a few races for mares only. The flat team, it is only the 1000 guineas and the Oaks that I worry about fillies, the rest are usually colts.

When it comes time to select horses for the league, I probably have 3 or 4 good stallions I could upload but maybe only one average\good mare because of the ratio of mares to stallions I breed.

If I am breeding 2 mile hurdlers I might breed 50 foals from a generation of horses. I find that about 40 are colts and about 10 are fillies. After the 2yo culling process, I probably have 10 colts and 1 or 2 fillies. I feel that this leaves very limited options.

When it comes to the breeding barn, I probably send inferior mares to the barn just to make up the numbers and you never know, you might get a pleasant surprise and breed a winner from such pairings. I think John once said in another thread, "if you through enough mud at a problem, some of it will stick".

I think when u get to a certain point in the game u have to throw mud against the wall and hope it sticks because they stop improving , I was doing that and 99% of the time it doesn't work but u hope that 1% can improve them. I've never really had that problem with fillies , out of 30 jumpers in my team I have 14 fillies and I think in my game my fillies were always a head of the colts. :D

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm
Group 1 winner

It just may be the way the game unfolds for each player - as I mentioned - fillies and mares are plentiful for me - it's the 'seeder' stallion that is hardest to get.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:16 pm
Group 2 winner

This is an example of how stallions dominate my game.

I was breeding 2m 4f hurdlers. After breeding about 100 foals, 29 stallions and 12 mares made to be exported to the CK. I decided to have 4 separate trials for these 41 horses, 3 x 10 and 1 x 11 horses. The top 3 horses in each trial would make it to a final jump off trial.

After the 4 trials I had elimainated all but 10 stallions and 2 mares. I did have high hopes for one of the mares because she had dominated her trial wirh 3 wins, 2 seconds and 2 third places out of 8 trial races.

In the final trial she was the 6th best horse, 5 stallions were better than her. The other mare was the 10th best horse. The best mare will probably still make my jumps team but I must admit that after such a good first trial, I was quite disapointed with the final result.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 pm
Group 1 winner

I must say mares rule my transfer files. I'd say 60/40 mares to stallions. I play almost exclusively US games.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]