View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Maybe This Will Inspire Other Trainers 
Group 2 winner

Post Maybe This Will Inspire Other Trainers
I was looking for 4m horse that I could breed a Grand National horse from. My usual way to look for such a horse is to keep starting new games and checking the 5 horses the AI gives you. If they are not very good, start another new game. Sometimes I have to do this 50 times before I find a suitable horse.

Just another little titbit of info. I breed all my horses, both flat and jumps in a flat game.

Anyway, I found this horse. What attracted me to him was the Cruising Burst. I had no horses with more than about 55% cruising burst. His potential was poor, but I have mares with 100% potential to breed with him.

The first generation of horses I bred with him produced this horse.

Two generations later this horse was produced.

This horse has just beaten every 2m and 2m 4f hurdler in my stable. Now I have to try and breed him with my best mares and see what happens. Trouble is, there is only 2 weeks before league starts.

Sometimes you don't always get instant success, but with a little trial and error, great things can happen.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:58 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Maybe This Will Inspire Other Trainers
Them bars are the bars that dreams are made of!

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:52 am
Group 1 winner

Nice looking chap there Jim. On paper at least I have nothing that good, only seen similar from Paul.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:44 am
Group 2 winner

Although this is a very nice horse with good bars, he may not perform in the CK. It comes down to trial and error.

The point I am trying to make here is that you need fresh blood in your breeding lines. Paul has mentioned the same thing about fresh blood in other posts and if it works for him then it is worthwhile giving it a go.

I have found that after 3 or 4 generations of breeding the same line of horses you see very little improvement in performance. The only way to produce better horses is to inject new blood in the breeding lines.

The stallion I used above had very poor potential, but his other bars were quite good so I gave him a try. If it doesn't work out I will try another horse to start a new breeding line.

The hard part is finding that new stallion. Many trainers use the weekly auction sales, but I have had little success with that approach, so I just keep restarting a new game until I find a likely stallion. Most of the time I look for a stallion with about 90% - 100% potental, if he has other good bars that is great, but I have mares with lots of good bars to breed with.

I usually need to breed about 20 - 40 stallions to produce a stallion with the best combination of bars. I then use that stallion to breed with another set of good mares and then hopefully you get enough mares and stallions to start that new line of horses.

Just as word of caution, success with new blood is not always instant. Sometimes you go one step back to go two steps forward. Many times it is the 2nd or 3rd generation with new blood that shows improvement.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm
Group 1 winner

I thought my team was done but I was messing around tonight and raced some of my old flat horses and one called Nibbs Point just whacked my Jane Lamb who was coming back for the league in Game ( not in Ck) and now it could mean I'm going to have to go back to breeding again and throwing mud back against the wall, I might have to go back and breed some 2m- 2.4m chasers . Just when u think u finished :lol: :lol: I've not been happy with my 2m4 chasers and frankly my chase division has not impressed me :( :(

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:22 pm
Group 1 winner

My chase team is average also in my view, may get a few more out of the barn before the off.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]