View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Season 2 Looms 
Selling plater

Post Season 2 Looms
Its Dec 9th and I am looking for advice regarding what I should do prior to ending the season.
After reviewing these boards I draw the following:
1-Put all my horses OUT TO GRASS, as it bears some advantage at season 2 start
2-Buy my Breeding Facility
3-Retire old Stallions to stud
4-Retire old Mares (5+?? 6+??) to stud duty
5-Place all horses in training on (BLUE) gentle exercise - walking before Dec 31
6-Take statistic screenshots, for a means of comparison with the anticipated season 2 bump-up in POTENTIAL.
7-Sell all average 2 year-olds, as they will be worth less on Jan 1st of season 2.
I included #s to facilitate your agreement (i.e. I agree with 2,3,4 but the rest is "hogwash")

You guys are ALL OVER THE PLACE on this topic.
But I'm sure the veterans will guide me in the right direction.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Season 2 Looms
I guess a lot of us got to a similar result taking different routes lol :)

Breeding Barn - Do you have enough money in the bank to invest in your barn and have a comfortable amount left over?

Make sure your bank is very healthy and skip the 2yo auctions at the start of the season and focus on buying a proven horse at the mid week auctions. Something that has won Group or Graded races and is young. If it is young you can race it for a few seasons and pick up good prize money and then send it to stud.

Wait til you have a really healthy bank before buying the most expensive 2yo's. Buying cheap 2yo's isn't worth it unless you have a cheap stallion and five or more mares and you sell all their foals as a way to build your bank.

5 - This will start debate lol but while you are early in your career - if you have a horse that wins a lot of prize money, I say keep racing it as building up your bank is more important at this stage. Once you have plenty of money then you can start to shorten their careers.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am
Selling plater

Thanks NPG

You hit the nail on the head with respect to discretionary income available to but my breeding barn.
That's my big decision.

How about point #1 above? Any comments on that one?
Thanks

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 pm
Group 1 winner

salhoit wrote:
Thanks NPG

You hit the nail on the head with respect to discretionary income available to but my breeding barn.
That's my big decision.

Thanks

I've never done it before.
I would be interested to hear what other trainers say that have done that or still do it.

Taking screenshots of the horses bars at the end of the 2yo season and then compare them at the start of their 3yo season and each year after that is a great idea.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 pm
Group 2 winner

salhoit wrote:
Thanks NPG

That's my big decision.

Thanks

I put horses out to grass but usually only 2yo and 3yo in the jumps game.

I have never seen any difference in the next years performance.

As far as I am concerned, putting horses out to grass, is just a way to unclutter the main screen and make it easier to read.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 am
Handicapper

I find out to grass useful for one more thing, besides 2 & 3 yr old jump game horses and uncluttering racing barn list. The condition bar that leads to the "over-raced" message. It seems to recover faster in a field than in the barn. Usually I use the field for this when I buy a horse at auction, and it look both interesting and already exhausted. I do it sometimes with jumpers or flat horses when the bar gets under or near 50%, usually after a grueling series on my better horses. The isn't the fat bar, but the skinny secondary one. Maybe I'm crazy, but it does seem to go up faster out there. The wider bar doesn't matter.

I set the horses to light, medium or heavier work at the end based based on the current condition and possible races at the start of the season. If the horse looks in good shape, and I am bringing it up, and there is a good next step race right at the start of the next season, that one might even go to end season in heavy work, to be ready on day one to enter safely. The others I set based more on current condition. Medium if it is in good condition, and I have time to raise training to get the fit bar in the safe range for the next race for it. Light if it needs more rest and/or there isn't anything suitable at the start of the next season.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 pm
Group 1 winner

Out to grass does help horse recovery, but not significantly, the only use I make of it aside from getting less bad horses on a screen before I retire them from the game is it can sometime fix lazy performance, something you may get in advice from the head lad, and especially for horses who have quirks.

One thing you did not mention and this depends on what your playing for is exporting horses to the game pool.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]