View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Some Questions... 
Handicapper

Post Some Questions...
All

Hoping you can help me with a few question, loving the game into my 6th season and on course to win both flat and jump trainer championships this year but still so much to achieve, also my bred 2yo’s will race for the first time this season so looking forward to seeing how they go

Horse Potential/Realised potential
Am I reading this right? for example with a 2–3 year old horse, young horse, quite often the dark green bar, absolute potential, is say 60-70% of the maximum available, this to me means he/she may go on and achieve that level?
With an older horse say I buy a 7 year old does this mean the dark green bar is current potential and the horse is now in decline and this will only go lower and the horse ability fade? The maximum level of the bar was when the horse was younger and in its pomp?
If so at what age, approx, do horses decline and I guess peak from a 2yo with potential today a 6yo on the wain? Do horses ever keep their potential into older age?

Riding the horse
I quite enjoy riding the horses, especially over sticks and tend to pick my races, I often find over longer trips I can get a better race result than the computer jockeys
My question however is the grey additional stamina bar tends to fill up when the horse is racing in its correct position and on the reigns, this gives you more stamina for the finish, get all that. However, sometimes this just descent happen, a horse who normally acquires a full grey bar will sometimes just not gain additional stamina, despite being ridden correctly and under the line for the reign etc
Anybody have any idea why this happens? It basically means the horse never has a chance? The only slight trend I’ve seen is when the horse carries a lot of weight but can anybody shed light on why this happens and can you do anything about it?

Race frequency

One reason I wonder about the above is do I over race my horses? I tend to get them out 4-6 weekly without fail, jumps and flat is they too frequent?

Finally claiming races, can somebody explain why you would put extra weight on your horse, surely the lighter the better? I’m clearly missing something here.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Some Questions...
Cuzer wrote:
All

Riding the horse
I quite enjoy riding the horses, especially over sticks and tend to pick my races, I often find over longer trips I can get a better race result than the computer jockeys
My question however is the grey additional stamina bar tends to fill up when the horse is racing in its correct position and on the reigns, this gives you more stamina for the finish, get all that. However, sometimes this just descent happen, a horse who normally acquires a full grey bar will sometimes just not gain additional stamina, despite being ridden correctly and under the line for the reign etc
Anybody have any idea why this happens? It basically means the horse never has a chance? The only slight trend I’ve seen is when the horse carries a lot of weight but can anybody shed light on why this happens and can you do anything about it?

Race frequency

One reason I wonder about the above is do I over race my horses? I tend to get them out 4-6 weekly without fail, jumps and flat is they too frequent?

Finally claiming races, can somebody explain why you would put extra weight on your horse, surely the lighter the better? I’m clearly missing something here.

Thanks in advance for your help

If your horse is losing its finishing Bar it often means mostly on its first run its running green, bolted or worked it self up and running to fast can be any of these and can happen at anytime just need to adjust sometimes in the race slow it up and protect what you got if its a good horse could still win.

You would put Extra weight on your horse the more weight the higher the Claim for your horse so you get more money for it if it wins and is bought.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Potential is easier to think of in terms of how good they are now = dark green and how good they may become or may have been = light green. And there is no certainty in it some reach there potential and some just don’t, though they may breed something that does.

Peak potential depends on the horse, full potential at 2yo is ridiculously rare but it can be achieved at 3yo, early on you will likely find they are at their best at 4yo or 5yo. The earlier the peak the earlier they decline and for most 6yo is where they start to fall away, though they can hold there potential to 7yo in some cases. It is a vague answer as the breeding line usually sees the same type of offspring as the parents, to break the pattern you need to change stock with game horses.

Not sure I have ever ridden a horse so cannot help there.

Race frequency is also horse dependent, some will roll over and quit after only 2 races, others will happily race 8-10, manage the stamina well and you can keep running them throughout a season though but each experience is different depending on what you have.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 pm
Handicapper

Thanks for the answers both, much appreciated

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:01 pm
Group 3 winner

Cuzer wrote:
Race frequency

Immediately after racing a horse take note of the colour of the little square "Status" icon.
Mostly it will stay green even though the horse will be better for a rest.
But sometimes it will drop to amber or even red. That will often show that the horse need extra time to recover.
When the color drops to red after a race i check with the Head Lad sometimes to be told "Careful, you are close to over racing this horse".
I've even had that message at the start of a season before its first race. Avoid breeding with those types of horses, they seem to pass on that weakness.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]