View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Good young horses but no chance at the Triple Crown 
Handicapper

Post Good young horses but no chance at the Triple Crown
I keep trying new breeding pairs from my transfer list, but I rarely get any 2 or 3 year old horses that can run more than a mile. Not really sure why this happens as I have been breeding milers with 1m2f-1m4f horses, and over 2-3 generations I only get sprinters out of those bloodlines.

Still can't complain - these are the latest two out of the stables:

This one looks great, but normally these don't last past their fourth year as they decline quickly.

This one not so good, but usually breed potential truer for me so hopeful I can extend this bloodline.

I also have this one in the breeding barn for it's first stud season, and am looking forward to see what I can get out of him:

I'm only in a few generations for this batch, but anyone have any tips to get a bit more distance? I've bred with stayers of all ages, both genders, and all ratings/group-winners/anything but no joy. Is this due to playing StartIt US?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Good young horses but no chance at the Triple Crown
Howdy Chris

Love your videos mate, alot of the reason i got involved in all this. :)

This may be stating the obvious but your horses are really low on speed (vertical bar) and Cruising burst if those images are end of season.
Have you tried breeding with a 2 miler?
Ive never used the StartIt mod or ran a US game.

Cheers

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:45 am
Handicapper

Hey Jango, thanks I appreciate the feedback! Not done videos in a long while (job promotion, moved home, etc... life has gotten busy lately) but want to get back to that by the summer.

This is actually 12-13 days into the season, and those 2yo's have only ran their maiden so they are (were) pretty new. The StartIt is a US flat modded schedule and there seems to be a lot more short distance horses in that than a UK sched. I fell in love with a 1973 book (The Race, and a 2010 film (Secretariat both of which deal with the Kentucky Derby/Triple Crown. I watched a few Grand Nationals etc but never got into British racing much (originally from Wales, moved stateside to marry an American woman) so that's why I play 99% US - and the best for that is the StartIt Mod imho.

I've had quite a few great horses that won the Triple Crown fairly easily in past versions, but since the game updated 4-5 versions ago (and the mod updated 1-2 times in that period too) I just haven't had success breeding past 1m which is just a little too short for the first two Triple Crown races, and a half-mile under the third distance. It sucks because that's my main focus in the game, but I still enjoy breeding some sprinters as they are as good as ever.

Just wanted to vent mostly, and see if anyone else was finding similar issues.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

I had one win it just now, and interestingly she, and it was a filly for me, ran the Derby in near the same way the day after the real one. The horse has even preference but looks like it runs handy with the speed. I also had a pacesetter from my barn in all three. The key stat seemed to be the distance adaptability. The cb/speed bars are nice, and the vertical stamina didn't hurt.

Fri May 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Selling plater

Chris i have found that breeding a staying champion into a speed champion works really well down the line, That's how i have managed both triple crowns either side of the pond, Infact winning the American version is childsplay compared to the English Version simply because of the distance, I try and get a racing post trophy winner for the english version but with a staying speed mix it is a lot harder than it sounds, Managed to have a few Ascot Gold Cup winners win that race after being a champion at 3 (including triple crown) but it's a very rare thing, I usually send my less talented horses to the American triple crown but they win it none the less but as said above stamina into speed is the way to go, In real life that's how coolmore do it!!!

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]