View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Weird Change in Potential 
Group 2 winner

Post Weird Change in Potential
I found a gamebred stallion whose potential stayed at 100% when he was 7yo so I thought I would try and breed this into my long distance jumpers.

The first crop of foals produced 4 horses that I kept and raced until 5yo. A couple of days before the end of the year I saved the game and then progressed the game so that the horses turned 6yo. Three of the horses had full potential at 6yo so I thought I would save those 3 horses to a ttf file.

I pressed Ctrl Alt Del to take the game back to when the horses were 5yo and saved the 3 horses to ttf. I used Ctrl Alt Del again to get the horses back in the game. Now when I progressed the game until they were 6yo, only one of the horses had full potential.

I used Ctrl Alt Del again and tried to see what horses had full potential at 6yo and this time none of the horses had full potential at 6yo. I tried Ctrl Alt Del a few more times and every time different horses had full potential at 6yo. Sometimes one horse and sometimes two horses had full potential at 6yo.

After about 6 tries at Ctrl Alt Del, all the horses had full potential again at 6yo.

I must confess, I never realised before how random potential was when a horse gets older.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Weird Change in Potential
That happens at every turn of the year. You can play the same horses through different games and get entirely different outcomes and progression paths, though the degrees of freedom are small and most noticeable with potential. For breeding they still seem to hold the older potential gene however, with the offspring subject to the same randomness. This is in part why I do not really bother looking at bars or expect machine like replication when moving horses about and why some great trial horses never breed well when copied as the copy is a flawed version of the original. Trialling for me is the only ‘set of bars’ that matter and then only that specific version of that one horse, take the same horse through a different game and you will get a different animal :)

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 am
Group 2 winner

I don't transfer horses very much from saved game to saved game so have not noticed any real changes, but this was the same saved game I have never seen a horses potential change when they were less than 5yo either in the same saved game or when transferred to a different saved game.

I agree that different versions of the same horse perform differently if different saved games.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 am
Group 1 winner

If you play a season of 2yo’s through and take picture of them all at 3yo. Then revert to a save and play the same game through again, the second set of 3yo pics may not match the first, some will some won’t. That randomness happens at each yearly cycle in my experience. So same game or different game the effect is largely consistent.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am
Group 3 winner

This reminded me of this...http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16896

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am
Group 1 winner

Could be part of the same thing yes, my approach is simple, if they make it past my 2yo cull they get exported and trialled, I do not really pay much attention beyond that until I see the results in CK as I only breed and train for the league.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Could be part of the same thing yes, my approach is simple, if they make it past my 2yo cull they get exported and trialled, I do not really pay much attention beyond that until I see the results in CK as I only breed and train for the league.

I admit i use TTF transfers alot as i am still trying to build up half decent horses.
I send almost everything to the pool and anything that is worth breeding with i record the stats in a spreadsheet so i can find it later.
I havent seen any change in stats between transfers and the save but this game is full of suprises. :lol:

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm
Group 1 winner

It is not so much the transfer, that is fixed data at point of export and remains fixed when re-imported the change I see is then as that horse develops including race development.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]