View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves 
Handicapper

Post Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
Ive tried every schedule there is on here now, and no matter what, after so many years in crashes start to become frequent.

As im sure you all know, it will start with the game taking gradually longer to save as each year goes by, before it gets to the point where you're hitting the back up button after at least half of your save attempts.

I have kept playing this game with the thought that one day I will find that schedule that will run and run without problems, but I now believe that doesn't exist.

I want to get everyone's opinion on why it happens. I have my own thought on the matter, and I think it has to do with the fact the game stores every race replay. I don't know about you guys but I have seldom ever felt the need to watch a race back, so that is a feature we could easily lose in my opinion.

Something for the game creator to consider would be to make saving a replay optional at the end of a race, as you would see in most other games, and they could even have a file all of their own.

I think it is these relays that make the save files so large that eventually, they crash out.

Thoughts?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
nathd88 wrote:
Ive tried every schedule there is on here now, and no matter what, after so many years in crashes start to become frequent.

As im sure you all know, it will start with the game taking gradually longer to save as each year goes by, before it gets to the point where you're hitting the back up button after at least half of your save attempts.

I have kept playing this game with the thought that one day I will find that schedule that will run and run without problems, but I now believe that doesn't exist.

I want to get everyone's opinion on why it happens. I have my own thought on the matter, and I think it has to do with the fact the game stores every race replay. I don't know about you guys but I have seldom ever felt the need to watch a race back, so that is a feature we could easily lose in my opinion.

Something for the game creator to consider would be to make saving a replay optional at the end of a race, as you would see in most other games, and they could even have a file all of their own.

I think it is these relays that make the save files so large that eventually, they crash out.

Thoughts?

I dont run different schedules and i've only had the occasional random crash but as you describe the symptoms it could be the saved replays.

There is an option to turn off replays at the start of a new save.
You can also just delete the replay files from the "fbr" folder for existing saves.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 am
Handicapper

Doh, I never looked in that fbr folder before, thanks for letting me know I can just delete it. Lets hope this is the answer to the problem. Appreciate the info bud.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am
Group 3 winner

nathd88 wrote:
Doh, I never looked in that fbr folder before, thanks for letting me know I can just delete it. Lets hope this is the answer to the problem. Appreciate the info bud.

No probs
I normally just delete the ".r" files within the folders, i havent deleted the folders.
Hope it cures your crashes.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 am
Handicapper

I don't save the replays and I never had a problem. Turn off the save option maybe.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 am
Handicapper

I don't see a way to shut them off for a game already in progress. Am I missing something?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 am
Group 3 winner

Hechicera wrote:
I don't see a way to shut them off for a game already in progress. Am I missing something?

I dont think there is an option for an existing save unfortunately, only when starting a new save as far as i know.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 am
Handicapper

Yeah, its just at the start of a save. TBH, I never even noticed that option. Ive been playing a year and half and never saw it. wow.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]