View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Moderately Experienced Player Advice - With Pictures! :) 
Selling plater

Post Re: Moderately Experienced Player Advice - With Pictures! :)
Quote:
Also make sure you give a horse you plan to transfer at least 4 races to realize its potential before you transfer it.

Jango, can you elaborate on this? Newbie here. Does only realized potential breed down? ie if if have a 100% potential horse but say only 80% is realized will it only pass down the 80%?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:56 am
Group 2 winner

ccmd00d wrote:
Quote:
Also make sure you give a horse you plan to transfer at least 4 races to realize its potential before you transfer it.

Jango, can you elaborate on this? Newbie here. Does only realized potential breed down? ie if if have a 100% potential horse but say only 80% is realized will it only pass down the 80%?

It is absolute potential (light green bar) that is passed on when you breed a horse.

The dark green potential bar is only relevant when you race horses, it has nothing to do with breeding.

On average, if you breed a horse with 100% absolute potential with a horse with 80% absolute potential, you will breed horses somewhere in the middle of the 2 values, say 85% - 95% potential. Two 100% absolute potential should produce a 100% potential foal.

Normally it takes up to 4 races for a horse to max out its realised potential for any given season. Any more than 4 races and the horse will not gain any extra realised potential.

Ideally, after 4 races as a 2yo, you are looking for the light green and dark green potential bars to be about equal. For example, both bars about 85% as a 2yo and then as a 3yo both potential bars to be about 95% or better and then max out at 100% as a 4yo.

One trainer I know off has 100% realised potential as a 2yo but many trainers have 95% as 2yo and 100% as 3yo for flat horses. In the NH side of things you are probably looking to acheive 100% realised potential as a 5yo.

Jim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 am
Group 3 winner

ccmd00d wrote:
Quote:

Wannabe wrote:
It is absolute potential (light green bar) that is passed on when you breed a horse.

I will accept i could be wrong about this and would welcome any different opinions, but i like to have realized potential as high as possible with horses i use to breed with.
Yes absolute potential is passed on as absolute potential when breeding.
But my untested suspicion is that breeding with a horse that has low realized potential "might" result in offspring that on average dont end up realizing their absolute potential.
Because of the random nature of realized potential its difficult to test with any certainty, but ive had batches of horses that never get close to realizing their full potential and to me it appeared to happen most often when i was breeding with low realized potential horses or older horses whose realized potential had started to fall.
Maybe i'm mistaken, but i see no harm in realizing as much potential as possible by running them 4 times before breeding with them.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 am
Group 2 winner

Jango wrote:
I will accept i could be wrong about this and would welcome any different opinions, but i like to have realized potential as high as possible with horses i use to breed with.
Yes absolute potential is passed on as absolute potential when breeding.
But my untested suspicion is that breeding with a horse that has low realized potential "might" result in offspring that on average dont end up realizing their absolute potential.
Because of the random nature of realized potential its difficult to test with any certainty, but ive had batches of horses that never get close to realizing their full potential and to me it appeared to happen most often when i was breeding with low realized potential horses or older horses whose realized potential had started to fall.
Maybe i'm mistaken, but i see no harm in realizing as much potential as possible by running them 4 times before breeding with them.

I must admit I have never seen realised potential make any difference to the foals I have bred. Before my game started going wonky, I probably bred 2 out of 5 horses that had both 100% realised and 100% absolute potential. My game produces a lot of good stallions with 100% realised potential but only a few good mares so many of the mares I bred with had not reached 100% realised potential but this didn't stop them producing the same percentage of good foals.

I can't comment on breeding with older horses in the barn as I only keep horses in the barn for about 6 years before they are replaced with the next generation of good horses but I am sure I read someplace that Mark, (the creator of SO6), saying that older horses that had dropped their absolute potential would still breed to their best absolute potential.

In my NH game I export many 4yo mares to the barn that have not yet reached both 100% absolute and realised potential and they still breed true. My NH horses don't reach 100% potential until they are 5yo. Maybe my horses would do better in the online league if I waited until they had maxed out potential before retiring them to the barn, but even so, I still get a lot of G1 winners in the online league.

In my flat games when I experimenting with new breeding lines, many horses are sent to the barn at the end of their 2yo careers, they never race as 3yo.

Jim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:16 am
Group 3 winner

Wannabe wrote:

I must admit I have never seen realised potential make any difference to the foals I have bred.

Thanks Jim
I will accept your experience over my suspicions every time. :)
I guess its one of those things that i dont know whats "typical" until i learn what you and others have discovered.

It does still drive me nuts when i get a season of a dozen or more foals with 90% absolute potential as a 2yo but start at less than 50% realised potential and hardly get above 70% by the end of season.
For me at least this seems to happen in bursts, and ive been trying to work out if there is a cause or if its just random bad luck.

Cheers

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 am
Group 2 winner

Jango wrote:
It does still drive me nuts when i get a season of a dozen or more foals with 90% absolute potential as a 2yo but start at less than 50% realised potential and hardly get above 70% by the end of season.
For me at least this seems to happen in bursts, and ive been trying to work out if there is a cause or if its just random bad luck.

Cheers

I think that it is totally random which foals are produced each year.

If you save the game just before the end of the year and then progress the game and look at the foals that are produced, maybe 2 out of 12 foals might be worthwhile keeping. Go back and re-load the game just before the turn of the year and now look at the foals and you might get 5 out of 12 that are worthwhile keeping. In both cases it is exactly the same breeding pairs with totally different results.

At one time I thought it might be something to do with the horses in the breeding barn but I have tried the little experiment above several times and the foals produced are totally random. When I tried repeating a year I might get 9 colts and 3 mares one year and exactly the opposite the next time.

When you perform the experiment above, there is also a randomness as to the ability of horses produced from the same breeding pair. One foal might be really good and the other might be mediocre at best yet they have the same sire and dame and are sired in the same year.

Jim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2