View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves 
Author Message
Handicapper

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 pm
Posts: 271
Post Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
Ive tried every schedule there is on here now, and no matter what, after so many years in crashes start to become frequent.

As im sure you all know, it will start with the game taking gradually longer to save as each year goes by, before it gets to the point where you're hitting the back up button after at least half of your save attempts.

I have kept playing this game with the thought that one day I will find that schedule that will run and run without problems, but I now believe that doesn't exist.

I want to get everyone's opinion on why it happens. I have my own thought on the matter, and I think it has to do with the fact the game stores every race replay. I don't know about you guys but I have seldom ever felt the need to watch a race back, so that is a feature we could easily lose in my opinion.

Something for the game creator to consider would be to make saving a replay optional at the end of a race, as you would see in most other games, and they could even have a file all of their own.

I think it is these relays that make the save files so large that eventually, they crash out.

Thoughts?


Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Profile
Handicapper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 am
Posts: 463
Location: Melbourne Australia
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
nathd88 wrote:
Ive tried every schedule there is on here now, and no matter what, after so many years in crashes start to become frequent.

As im sure you all know, it will start with the game taking gradually longer to save as each year goes by, before it gets to the point where you're hitting the back up button after at least half of your save attempts.

I have kept playing this game with the thought that one day I will find that schedule that will run and run without problems, but I now believe that doesn't exist.

I want to get everyone's opinion on why it happens. I have my own thought on the matter, and I think it has to do with the fact the game stores every race replay. I don't know about you guys but I have seldom ever felt the need to watch a race back, so that is a feature we could easily lose in my opinion.

Something for the game creator to consider would be to make saving a replay optional at the end of a race, as you would see in most other games, and they could even have a file all of their own.

I think it is these relays that make the save files so large that eventually, they crash out.

Thoughts?



I dont run different schedules and i've only had the occasional random crash but as you describe the symptoms it could be the saved replays.

There is an option to turn off replays at the start of a new save.
You can also just delete the replay files from the "fbr" folder for existing saves.


Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 am
Profile
Handicapper

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 pm
Posts: 271
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
Doh, I never looked in that fbr folder before, thanks for letting me know I can just delete it. Lets hope this is the answer to the problem. Appreciate the info bud.


Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am
Profile
Handicapper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 am
Posts: 463
Location: Melbourne Australia
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
nathd88 wrote:
Doh, I never looked in that fbr folder before, thanks for letting me know I can just delete it. Lets hope this is the answer to the problem. Appreciate the info bud.


No probs
I normally just delete the ".r" files within the folders, i havent deleted the folders.
Hope it cures your crashes.


Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 am
Profile
Handicapper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 460
Location: Germany
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
I don't save the replays and I never had a problem. Turn off the save option maybe.


Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 am
Profile
Handicapper

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm
Posts: 358
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
I don't see a way to shut them off for a game already in progress. Am I missing something?


Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 am
Profile
Handicapper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 am
Posts: 463
Location: Melbourne Australia
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
Hechicera wrote:
I don't see a way to shut them off for a game already in progress. Am I missing something?


I dont think there is an option for an existing save unfortunately, only when starting a new save as far as i know.


Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 am
Profile
Handicapper

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 pm
Posts: 271
Post Re: Lets discuss what causes crashes far in to saves
Yeah, its just at the start of a save. TBH, I never even noticed that option. Ive been playing a year and half and never saw it. wow.


Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.