View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Is inbreeding alright? 
Selling plater

Post Is inbreeding alright?
Although an odd question while trying to create a champion bloodline I've gotten to the point where my horses are better than those I can hire. So now I'm at a point where I don't know whether or not I can start breeding brothers and sisters together. Thanks for any help you give.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 am
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Is inbreeding alright?
I don't breed full brothers and sisters but I do breed half brothers and sisters and have had a lot of success in the online league doing this.

Although your horses may be better than any game bred horses you can buy, you may find that after about 6 - 10 generations of breeding brothers and sisters your horses stop improving. When this happens to me, I breed my best mares with the best breeding barn stallions to intoduce new blood into my bloodlines. This can be a hit or miss process and good results are not always immediately obvious and can take 2 or 3 generations of breeding the new bloodlines to see an improvement.

Jim

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 am
Group 1 winner

In SO6 - I don't think there is any effect with in-breeding but I believe I have read that in SO7 - in-breeding will have a negative effect on your breeding.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 am
Selling plater

Wannabe wrote:
Although your horses may be better than any game bred horses you can buy, you may find that after about 6 - 10 generations of breeding brothers and sisters your horses stop improving. When this happens to me, I breed my best mares with the best breeding barn stallions to intoduce new blood into my bloodlines. This can be a hit or miss process and good results are not always immediately obvious and can take 2 or 3 generations of breeding the new bloodlines to see an improvement.

Thanks this was really helpful

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am
Group 1 winner

in this circumstance i encourage in breeding :lol: :lol:

agree with Doug does not seem to make any difference

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]