View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Small, Average, Large Build Horses 
Group 2 winner

Post Small, Average, Large Build Horses
I must confess that I have never paid any attention to the build of my horses and over the various seasons all my horses have been average build.

In my latest crop of horses from breeding barn stallions I seem to have 2 small and 1 large build NH horses that look to be quite promising as 4yo.

Has anyone noticed the build of a horse make any difference?

I wondered if small build horses would be more nimble or perhaps large build horses would make better chasers over the bigger fences.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:15 am
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Small, Average, Large Build Horses
Wannabe wrote:
I must confess that I have never paid any attention to the build of my horses and over the various seasons all my horses have been average build.

In my latest crop of horses from breeding barn stallions I seem to have 2 small and 1 large build NH horses that look to be quite promising as 4yo.

Has anyone noticed the build of a horse make any difference?

I wondered if small build horses would be more nimble or perhaps large build horses would make better chasers over the bigger fences.

I am the same, never even looked at that attribute.
I'd also be interested in any theories.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 am
Handicapper

The main difference I've noticed, although this might be entirely selection bias, is that 'Large' build horses can take a little longer to fully develop. I had a 'Large' build mare who was bred to be a Guineas horse, but didn't develop enough stamina until her 4yo season to get that trip. She happened to birth a 'Large' build daughter, who was by far the best horse I've ever bred in the game and won from 6f to 12f although she developed a little earlier.

Smaller horses I've noticed tend to be more likely to become sprinters/milers, but again this might be selection bias.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 pm
Group 1 winner

I pointed out quite a few seasons ago that small build horses seem to have an advantage in the CK and the league. I had noticed that many of the best horses were of small build. Why? Who knows, but there were many small build horses doing very well.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:53 pm
Handicapper

Wannabe wrote:

Ideally.

I have a game I just started where some small build ones have cropped up. So I'm also curious.

Realistically, the large build should give scope over fences, yes.

Some tracks are listed as having "tight turns", I would assume a small build horse would have an advantage there. That should be true on the flat as well. Has anyone seen that trend in game?

The game where they are is a new AUS schedule, so no fences. I think some of the UK courses have more listed tight turns. Wondering if I should try to toss a few small build ones with some jump into my pool to use when I restart my UK combo game?

US seems to have fewer courses with tight turns by memory (and of course none of our fence races are in the game), so I also wonder if the build would only really show a difference in UK schedules?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]