View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 A few questions 
Selling plater

Post A few questions
Hello,
I have been playing SO6 for a while now and have been wondering a few things.

How do you know which specifier your horse needs? Do some horses run better with blinkers or visor or noseband? How to choose which one you need to use?

At which age is a horse usually done with racing and needs retirement? How can I see/notice the horse needs to be retired? This in order so I don't overrun them at later ages.

And last but not least. How important is the weight from a jockey compared to the weight of the horse? For example. If a horse has a weight of 51.5KG should a jockey be below that? Or above? I am tempted to say that the jockey's weight should be below the horse weight, but not sure if that makes any different for the race itself (I do use kgs in the game).

Looking forward to hearing your answers!

Luna :) .

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 am
Handicapper

Post Re: A few questions
Quote:
How do you know which specifier your horse needs? Do some horses run better with blinkers or visor or noseband? How to choose which one you need to use?

I'm not convinced it matters which pacifier you use on the horse. I very rarely use them as they very rarely seem to be needed. I believe the jockey will tell if they need a pacifier, but again it's not something that's really happened to me.

Quote:
At which age is a horse usually done with racing and needs retirement? How can I see/notice the horse needs to be retired? This in order so I don't overrun them at later ages.

Check your horse's "Deterioration Potential". If it's full, your horse will likely start to decline at age 6 (flat game), although your horses will level off at age 4. If you're playing the jumps it will be a few years older, about 8, when they start to decline.

Quote:
And last but not least. How important is the weight from a jockey compared to the weight of the horse? For example. If a horse has a weight of 51.5KG should a jockey be below that? Or above? I am tempted to say that the jockey's weight should be below the horse weight, but not sure if that makes any different for the race itself (I do use kgs in the game).

If you have selected a jockey with a weight higher than the horse is scheduled to carry according to the Racecard, your horse will race with more weight than it should do. This is a big negative.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 pm
Selling plater

Thank you so much for the answers Degaussed! That makes it all a lot clearer for me! Will definitly keep it in mind while playing the game.

Another question. Is it possible for the potential rating to increase or to decrease? I have noticed with a few horses that with some the potential rating is either growing and with one horse it, from the looks of it, is decreasing. When the potential rating is almost fully gone. For example Mitchum here. Should I just retire it :) ? The horse is by now 12 years old. Not the best horse there is (just kept it to see what would happen when you race it till it is fully done with racing):

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 pm
Group 1 winner

Potential on some horses grows up to about 5yo on the flat - after that it starts to deteriorate on all horses.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:59 am
Group 3 winner

Luna

Regarding potential this link is an oldy but a goody discussion.

http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6531

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 am
Group 1 winner

I have a 5yo at the moment who's potential rose from 4 to 5.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am
Handicapper

NPG319 wrote:
I have a 5yo at the moment who's potential rose from 4 to 5.

This has happened to me as well. It's usually very minimal improvement, but occasionally I've had the kind of improvement you'd see from three to four.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:53 am
Selling plater

Jango, thank you so much for the link! That was a lovely discussion to read. Cleared lots of things up for me!

I have a horse now from where I swear his potential did decrease a bit. Will have to keep an eye on that, but am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has noticed that :D .

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]