View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Player confused on Jockey Instructions 
Handicapper

Post New Player confused on Jockey Instructions
Hey all,

I finally got to buy SO6 after finding the game I played a decade ago briefly before deciding it was too hard at the time. The game still looks like I remember but I'm still finding it a bit confusing :lol:

I have played a game called G1 Jockey on PS2 a lot, so I understand a little bit about horse racing, enough to understand how different horses run differently and ideal distances and such. But I'm having trouble understanding which jockey preference leads to which style of running. G1 Jockey had four types of runners, so front-runners, drop-in (stay right behind the leader and overtake in the last 400-600m), drop-out (stay in the pack and start moving up from 1000m then go hard at 500m) and rear horses (stay at back of the pack, move up slowly and go hard early to get them to the front). They also had abilities like "Start" where red meant they were bad at it (not good on a front-runner) and green meant good etc. So I've got one horse that I'd call a drop-in horse. I want him up the front, but not leading, and he's not got a lot of hold on in him so I want the jockey to be quietly increasing his speed for as long as possible before making him go full out because he can't hold off a challenge in the last 400m if he goes too early. But I don't want him to fall back in the straight either. And I don't know how to tell the jockey this. I don't actually want to ride races in this game because I'm used to the G1 controls (and still playing it) and I want a different perspective - in G1 you are only a jockey and you don't get a lot of say over races or when the horse retires or breeds.

Can anyone give me a run down of what preference choice means what? The instructions only have a few of them, like the ones that get you fined. And while we're talking jockey's, how do I choose a good one? Not just high percentage of career wins but things like won't make a stupid mistake that screws the horse (like seesawing the horse back and forth from the inside to outside when they're supposed to be just sitting quietly in the pack in a long race)?

ETA: Extra question - I have vision problems and the writing in this game is so small, it makes it quite hard to read. Is there any way to keep how pretty the game looks at 1920 x 1080 but increase the readability of the text? Like a mod on Steam?

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 am
Handicapper

Post Re: New Player confused on Jockey Instructions
TACTICS:
    Go Easy - the jockey will not even attempt to win the race
    Drop Out Early - jockey will put the horse in last position
    Hold Up - jockey will hold the horse up to the rear of the field
    Slight Hold Up - jockey will hold the horse up the near the rear of the field
    Even Pace - jockey will race in the middle of the pack
    Race Handy - jockey will race close the front
    Force The Pace - jockey will deliberately go a ridiculously fast pace
    Pacemaker - jockey will go a solid pace, usually to suit another horse you have in the field
    Take The Reins - YOU are the jockey

SUB-TACTICS:
    Don't Lead - jockey won't lead during the race
    Miss Break - jockey will deliberately make the horse slow to leave the gates
    Don't Trail - jockey won't put the horse in last place
    Don't Go Clear - jockey will try to win by a small winning margin
    Challenge Later - jockey will make his winning challenge slightly later than normal
    Challenge Earlier - jockey will make his winning challenge earlier than normal
    Hands and Heels - jockey won't use the whip
    Prefer Inside - jockey will try to go on the rail
    Prefer Centre - jockey will go in the centre
    Prefer Outside - jockey will go outside of the other runners

Important to note, the only ones where the jockey will not make any attempt to actually win are "Go Easy" and "Pacemaker".

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Group 3 winner

Welcome twilightramblings

Degaussed has covered the definitions very well.

From my experience the only instructions I give a jockey is the "Dont lead" as the lead horse pays a heavy stamina penalty.
I wish i could tell you that selecting the perfect set of instructions could help you win a race but really instructions mostly can just loose you a race.
The jockey will normally make the best choices for a given horse in a given race if given no instructions.

As far as picking a good jockey i would normally pick one with high percentage of wins, but again in reality it doesnt matter much as they all will still do stupid things like weaving and boxing themselves in.
The better the jockey tend to give better post race feed back comments.

Cant answer your "Extra question" about text size sorry.

Cheers

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 pm
Handicapper

Thank you both for your answers :)

That definitely clears them up. I've noticed that the jockey seems to hear them more as suggestions rather than orders and I have started not giving any preferences on the first race with a new horse, to see how the jockey rides them. But I've had a couple where I've left them and the jockey's ridden a horse with pretty much no stamina as a far out in front pacemaker and of course they've not been able to stay the distance and dropped out. Put down preference as closer the next race and watched the little beauty take 1st at 20/1 odds lol.

I am going to have to restart when I play tonight though; I've run out of money. None of my first horses were able to get to a G level and I put my stable over near Perth in Australia, so every race was costing me $3000+ of travel. Live and learn, I guess.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 am
Handicapper

The jockeys have hidden stats with regards to how talented they are and how often they listen to orders. Now, I just ride the races myself.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm
Group 1 winner

in game i only ever use even pace

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

Of course there also the "Shout Outs"!
Instruction that can be given during the actual race.
You can enable this feature in the option screen when the game first starts up.
Once again i find these have mixed results but its worth a mention.

Cheers

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm
Group 1 winner

I also ride my 2yos at least once to work out where each horse likes to run during the race - be it on the pace, even pace or hold up.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]