View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Why are all my horses closers 
Selling plater

Post Why are all my horses closers
I’ve bred some very classy horses over a number of seasons and games. What has escaped me is the fact that all my horses are closers! It’s been a challenge of mine to get more forwardly places horses but it’s near impossible for these to win top races. Is this just because this is a preferred style in the UK and this is a UK based game?

I’m playing in the US ... has anyone had this problem?

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Why are all my horses closers
bluechip21 wrote:
I’ve bred some very classy horses over a number of seasons and games. What has escaped me is the fact that all my horses are closers! It’s been a challenge of mine to get more forwardly places horses but it’s near impossible for these to win top races. Is this just because this is a preferred style in the UK and this is a UK based game?

I play the Australian game and most of my horses run even time. I think it's just what creeps into your breeding over time. I am sure if you could buy some horses that race forward and start breeding with them, after time you'll get more of a mix. Also from what i hear from other trainers - they raid the American game to get front running horses lol So yeah - I think sometime ago one of your key stallions was a closer and his DNA is right through your stable now :-)

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Handicapper

It's a breeding trait. I would recommend trying to out-cross with horses you know race more prominently.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm
Selling plater

NPG319 wrote:
bluechip21 wrote:

I play the Australian game and most of my horses run even time. I think it's just what creeps into your breeding over time. I am sure if you could buy some horses that race forward and start breeding with them, after time you'll get more of a mix. Also from what i hear from other trainers - they raid the American game to get front running horses lol So yeah - I think sometime ago one of your key stallions was a closer and his DNA is right through your stable now :-)

Yep. That is exactly the case. Started out with a nice horse named Santas Little Helper and all my good horses have him in his DNA. ... man that was a fun trip looking back through the pedigree a few years (real life years LOL). ... what a fun little game this is! I think the only other game I've logged more hours in was CIV 5.

Edit: Typo

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 am
Group 1 winner

It's a great game. If you just play it straight in the single player game - you could play this game for years by just breeding your favourite and best horses and not worrying about the breeding bars and go on your own personal racing journey.
One of the best things happening in S07 is you will be able to follow all the bloodlines/family tree of your current generation of horses back 50 or 100 years where at the moment you can only go back about five generations.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 am
Selling plater

Well for a horse to be a front runner they need really good stamina to keep up the pace. Usually when you get closers recurring it means at the beginning of your bloodline the horses had no choice but to be closers as they had poor stamina with good speed. If you’re like me my horses all now have about 65-70 stamina but are still closers simply because of genetics. Now that I am starting to get better stamina in my horses every once in a while I’ll get a front runner and more likely a stalker. Hope this helps clear things up.

Edit:I also don’t think breeding these horses with front runners will work. Most likely they just won’t be able to sustain the distance even if they have higher stamina simply because of hidden statistics that play into traits like being a closer. The best thing you can do is just keep breeding like me and end up with those really good closers who win all the G1 races.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Selling plater

CRDC wrote:
Well for a horse to be a front runner they need really good stamina to keep up the pace. Usually when you get closers recurring it means at the beginning of your bloodline the horses had no choice but to be closers as they had poor stamina with good speed. If you’re like me my horses all now have about 65-70 stamina but are still closers simply because of genetics. Now that I am starting to get better stamina in my horses every once in a while I’ll get a front runner and more likely a stalker. Hope this helps clear things up.

Edit:I also don’t think breeding these horses with front runners will work. Most likely they just won’t be able to sustain the distance even if they have higher stamina simply because of hidden statistics that play into traits like being a closer. The best thing you can do is just keep breeding like me and end up with those really good closers who win all the G1 races.

Multiple questions on this response. Excellent reply, by the way.

1- I didn’t know stamina worked in this regard. So it’s stamina relative to the “best distance”?
2- what do the other bars mean? Speed? Acelleration? And how do they affect running style? The answer may sound obvious but now I’m curious to have it explained.
3- The challenge of trying to get a horse that consistently wires G1 races is what keeps the game fresh for me. I’ve been unable to figure out the online stuff so i haven’t really bothered with that. I hope in SO7 this is made more straightforward for less savvy users. Also maybe a US based game (online that is)?

Thanks!

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 pm
Group 3 winner

bluechip21 wrote:
CRDC wrote:

Multiple questions on this response. Excellent reply, by the way.

1- I didn’t know stamina worked in this regard. So it’s stamina relative to the “best distance”?
2- what do the other bars mean? Speed? Acelleration? And how do they affect running style? The answer may sound obvious but now I’m curious to have it explained.
3- The challenge of trying to get a horse that consistently wires G1 races is what keeps the game fresh for me. I’ve been unable to figure out the online stuff so i haven’t really bothered with that. I hope in SO7 this is made more straightforward for less savvy users. Also maybe a US based game (online that is)?

Thanks!

I very much agree with what CRDC thinks. I do not think there is one hidden attribute that dictates where it will run in the race, rather its the result of many attributes and how they work together to give the horse the best run possible.

Speed and Stamina (and Cruising Burst) work together.
Stamina is not always linked to "best distance".
Stamina goes up in the bar in blocks of 11%. So the lowest Stamina @ 11% will give you 5-6f horses. 22% will give you 7-8f. 33% will give 8-10f.
and so on. I made a chart somewhere that works pretty good to indicate the real best distance based on stamina %, i will see if i can find it.
The way i define stamina is in energy reserves, (battery life if you like).
Speed is the pace the horse can cruise along at.
So when the horse is happily cruising along it is not using alot of stamina.
How well a horse "cruises" along is determined by the "Speed" (pace) of the race.
In a short race the pace is high and if the horse does not have the speed to cruise along it will need to be urged along occasionally or often.
When the horse is urged along it starts to use up its Stamina reserves quickly.
So ideally when you watch a race keep an eye on how it runs....cruising or being urged along, this will help decide if the pace of the race and therefor the distance suits it.

This is only my opinion and there are so many other factors that have an influence.

Cheers

EDIT: The figures below give a general idea of race Stamina Vs Race Distance
It is just a guide :)

stam% / min dist Mtrs
77+ / 2400
66 / 2200
55 / 2000
44 / 1800
33 / 1600
22 / 1400
11 / 1200
11 / 1000