View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Realistic league game 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Realistic league game
qwsa wrote:
If you would explain why Jango, there is no reason why it couldn’t work, lots of games run online, what is it about SO that makes it not possible?

No worries, happy to try and explain. :)

SO6 has no multiplayer capabilities.
In simple terms there is no way for 2 people to enter the same race and watch that race at the same time on separate PC's.
Whether it be by a LAN, WAN or via an Internet connection the game does not provide the required port to enable this.

Online multiplayer games are specifically designed to run on a Game Server.
That means that the version of the game on the server acts as the "Master" and the players PC's act as the "Slave".
Most of the game processing is done by the version on the Game Server and pumped back out to the players PC.
That is why you will sometime experience "Lag" on online games as the time it takes for the server info to reach your PC.

For any Starters Orders game to run via the internet it would, as Scatters suggests, require a complete redesign of the game architecture.

Another hurdle your idea would face is that all the online games i can think of run "live".
So even if it was possible, the only way you could watch your horses race was if you were able to log in and watch at the time the race was run.
If you wanted to watch a replay that would require the recording of the race and posting onto a platform like YouTube. Still a manual task.

I have not tried to get into great detail here, there is too many reasons why this game in its current form cannot run on a game server.
Hope i have made some sense.

Cheers

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am
Group 1 winner

Thanks Jango, I definitely don't know enough about this, i guess I was dreaming

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Jango wrote:
qwsa wrote:
For any Starters Orders game to run via the internet it would, as Scatters suggests, require a complete redesign of the game architecture.

Cheers
Yep that was the main thrust of my post. I never meant for my post to mean to use the current state of the program.

Last edited by Scatters on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 am
Group 1 winner

Jango wrote:
qwsa wrote:
I have not tried to get into great detail here, there is too many reasons why this game in its current form cannot run on a game server.
Hope i have made some sense.

Cheers
Totally agree here. In essence I'm asking for a new game built on the foundations of the SO series.
Cheers all.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2