View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 How to Acquire Horses S)7? 
Selling plater

Post How to Acquire Horses S)7?
I see lots of references to an auction screen with a full list of horses available, but don't see such a thing in SO7. The only way I see to acquire new horses is to either buy horses that win a Selling race (curious why they're not called Claiming races) or by breeding them myself which seems entirely out of reach. I have two average horses left and they barely win enough to keep my in the black, let alone making enough to really gain ground to upgrade my stables.

Only been playing for a couple days so much to dissect here.

Last edited by Agrajag on Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: How to Acquire Horses S)7?
There is a sales tab at the top of the game screen. You will see indicators of different colours appear on the tab on sales days, depending on what type of sale it is. You can also go into the tab on other days to see the calendar of futures sales.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 am
Group 2 winner

In the UK at least both selling races and claiming races exist and there is a distinct difference between them.
Claiming races:
The horse carries a weight that is dependent upon the claiming value that the owner has allotted the horse. The horse can be claimed post race for that value.
Selling races:
There is no default value and the winning horse is auctioned after the race, I believe with no reserve.

I think the game recreates claiming races incorrectly as these horses are subsequently auctioned.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 pm
Selling plater

panther wrote:
There is a sales tab at the top of the game screen. You will see indicators of different colours appear on the tab on sales days, depending on what type of sale it is. You can also go into the tab on other days to see the calendar of futures sales.

Is there no way to mark a sale date so that I get a reminder or the game skip feature stops there?

This is one area I'm struggling with. I've blown by races of horses, etc. Must be doing something wrong.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Selling plater

Pommard wrote:
In the UK at least both selling races and claiming races exist and there is a distinct difference between them.
Claiming races:
The horse carries a weight that is dependent upon the claiming value that the owner has allotted the horse. The horse can be claimed post race for that value.
Selling races:
There is no default value and the winning horse is auctioned after the race, I believe with no reserve.

I think the game recreates claiming races incorrectly as these horses are subsequently auctioned.

Something is up as, unless things changed a ton since I was a parimutuel in the 80s, Claiming races happened every night often multiple races per night in the US. I see Selling races here on some nights, but not on all night and have never seen a Claiming race so I suspect the dev sees them as the same in the US. I also never saw a "Selling race" in the US.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 pm
Group 1 winner

Agrajag wrote:
panther wrote:

Is there no way to mark a sale date so that I get a reminder or the game skip feature stops there?

This is one area I'm struggling with. I've blown by races of horses, etc. Must be doing something wrong.

No, I think the only reminder you get is the colour indicator on the sales tab on the day of a sale.

Unless you get lucky with one of your starting horses or with a horse you pick up at a sale, the quickest and easiest way to make money in the game is by betting.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:27 pm
Site Admin

I have little knowledge of racing in the US but some time ago (maybe so4 or 5) changes were made regarding selling and claiming races in the US game based on feedback. It could be those changes somehow got lost along the way with code changes. It should be easy enough to get rid of selling races and replace them with claimers (for the US schedules).

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am
Handicapper

Well there are selling races here too.

But the whole maiden thing is different. Basically, the US has a whole ladder of sales races called claimers but which are really conditions races, often for maidens.

So the US has this combo seller/maiden/conditions ladder they call claimers, and you can claim the winner.

I'm probably not the best to explain it, the person with the wagering background would be though.

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]