View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Horse that continually doesn't put out the effort? 
Selling plater

Post Horse that continually doesn't put out the effort?
So I have my first confusing horse to deal with. Nearly every race the jockey comes back with some form of telling me the horse wasn't giving it his all (early on they said they thought he wasn't the real deal, or something like that).

Is there anything that can be done with such horses or is it best to just dump them and move on? So far, I'm enjoying find the right groove for all my horses no matter their level, and I make money on each of them. This horse just continually fails to produce even though its numbers are better than many of my other horses that are reliably bread winners. I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something obvious I should be doing to get this horse to wake up.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Horse that continually doesn't put out the effort?
Try the different pacifiers (blinkers, noseband etc) if they dont work then gelding could be an option but no breeding after that

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:59 am
Selling plater

Post Re: Horse that continually doesn't put out the effort?
bazdev wrote:
Try the different pacifiers (blinkers, noseband etc) if they dont work then gelding could be an option but no breeding after that

THANK YOU so much for this little tidbit. My first test was a noseband and then I planned to try the other two. However, his demeanor changed entirely with the noseband. Prior to it he was running C4's, mainly losing and getting the notes from the jockey's I mentioned. Since putting on the noseband NO jockey has said ANYTHING other that complete praise and the horse has run 7 races, winning 3 and finishing 2nd in two others, 3rd and one 5th. Nearly all of them are C1's after the initial winning run in a C4 with the noseband.

Total turnaround.... Thanks again. At this point, maybe he'd become a rocket ship if I tried blinders, but I don't want to mess with this recipe AT ALL.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]