View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Is this a promising start 
Selling plater

Post Is this a promising start
I just started playing a matter of days ago and have a very small stable of six horses in training with about 5 yearlings set for next season. I bet here and there and have about $1MM in the bank (would love it if there was more.

It's now the start of April and I'm currently third in the Trainer list with just over $1.1MM in winnings. #2 has just over $1.4MM with 27 horses in training and #1 is miles away at $4.6MM, but with 43 horses running. The one thing no trainer is close to me with is in my win percentage which is currently 46%. I'm assuming this will fall off heavily once I have a larger stable of horses. I also have yet to get any horse able to win a C1/G1 and don't even really have a C1/G1-capable horse in my stable, yet. Each time I've tried I run into the dreaded jockey note of being beat by better horses, but I can feel it coming.... Wonderful sim.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Is this a promising start
You're on the way - once you get your first G1 it just snowballs from there.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:04 pm
Selling plater

NPG319 wrote:

Thanks. I'd like to think I'll be able to breed that G1 winner, but breeding seems a bit complex at the moment (though my stable seems ready to handle it).

I also have yet to fully contemplate the reality of trying to maintain two dozen or more horses at the same time. With just the six I'm already having trouble remembering my notes for each (need to learn to use the notes feature).

Likely will have ended up buying into a G1 winner. Still also trying to get a feel for what a good horse really is. One of my strongest, and most reliable horses has zero Finishing, and yet post after post says that's a must. I also am struggling to grasp the rating value. I can get a horse to 115 rating and see them run 1-4 as fast as a G1 (in another race), but when I put my horse into a race against them they suddenly get cold feet or something and my jockey invariably says the horse struggled at that level....

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:31 pm
Group 1 winner

Agrajag wrote:
NPG319 wrote:

Thanks. I'd like to think I'll be able to breed that G1 winner, but breeding seems a bit complex at the moment (though my stable seems ready to handle it).

I also have yet to fully contemplate the reality of trying to maintain two dozen or more horses at the same time. With just the six I'm already having trouble remembering my notes for each (need to learn to use the notes feature).

Likely will have ended up buying into a G1 winner. Still also trying to get a feel for what a good horse really is. One of my strongest, and most reliable horses has zero Finishing, and yet post after post says that's a must. I also am struggling to grasp the rating value. I can get a horse to 115 rating and see them run 1-4 as fast as a G1 (in another race), but when I put my horse into a race against them they suddenly get cold feet or something and my jockey invariably says the horse struggled at that level....

I haven't played SO7 yet but in SO6 if you put the mouse arrow on the name of one of your horses then press N - a window pops up for you to write notes.

'Finishing' is only important if you are playing in the Online League. In your single player game it isn't as important.

Keep building up your bank - once it gets to about 5 million - visit each weekly auction and look for a G1 winning horse that is for sale and buy it. The younger the better - that way you can race it and win some good prizemoney before you start to breed with it.

Not sure if you are playing the English game or American or Australian but a thing to remember is that not all G1 races are as strong as each other. (the same for G2 and G3 races) identify the smaller G1 races and target them first - So race in the G1 races that aren't famous....they are weaker and easier to win.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:49 am
Selling plater

NPG319 wrote:
I haven't played SO7 yet but in SO6 if you put the mouse arrow on the name of one of your horses then press N - a window pops up for you to write notes.

'Finishing' is only important if you are playing in the Online League. In your single player game it isn't as important.

Keep building up your bank - once it gets to about 5 million - visit each weekly auction and look for a G1 winning horse that is for sale and buy it. The younger the better - that way you can race it and win some good prizemoney before you start to breed with it.

Not sure if you are playing the English game or American or Australian but a thing to remember is that not all G1 races are as strong as each other. (the same for G2 and G3 races) identify the smaller G1 races and target them first - So race in the G1 races that aren't famous....they are weaker and easier to win.

GREAT info and extremely helpful. Thanks. I am playing American as, I am one and thus we are bred to be surprised that the rest of the world even exists. hehe.

My biggest haul so far was the aforementioned horse winning a $900,000 race in Dubai which was quite nice. I'll take some more of that! Still trying to figure out what some C1 races are broken down by Grades and others are just C1 so you really aren't sure....

I'll build up to $5MM, but will take a bit now as I just spend a small fortune on some yearlings and several look decent.

BTW, perhaps the biggest downer about your response was the Finishing news. I cut loose a few horses that were tanks in everyone BUT that.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]