View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Horses in Training... Curious 
Selling plater

Post Horses in Training... Curious
Good Afternoon,

just wondering how many horses you like to have in training and breeding each year? huge numbers or focus on a select lower number of horses? i tend to flucuate between 20-100 horses through the seasons mostly depending on my mood, just curious to see what others do?

and how much breeding each year are you doing, how many yearlings are you producing and how many of those make it ito training for you as a 2yo.

Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Horses in Training... Curious
I Tend to focus on only a handful maybe 15 at the most but like single figure teams

Wed May 01, 2019 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

Currently 154 in training and 25 mares at breeding. I have maybe a handful of what could be classed as prospectively high class horses that will probably pick up a few group 1's (won the Oaks this season), and then a dozen or more that are just below high class who probably scrape a Group 3 or Listed race. The other about 100 are handicappers that I have probably picked up dirt cheap from selling and claiming races, they are rated very lowly and I then exploit that rating to see how many races I can squeeze out of them before the handicapper catches up, and 2 year olds ( I have about 40 of which 2 or 3 might be high class, time shall tell). Obviously I play very slowly on full training mode as it takes ages to enter and rest horses, but this is how I've always played through the years and versions of SO. This appears quite realistic, as, if in real life you had a stable this size you would possibly get this kind of spread of abilities. I'm not interested in winning every race and breeding unbeatable horses, where would the fun be if you knew you'd won before the gates opened?

Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm
Group 3 winner

I had 50 mares in the shed and it blew my mind, when I get to 30 then I try to get shot of some.

Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm
Selling plater

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
I Tend to focus on only a handful maybe 15 at the most but like single figure teams

Paul, i figured you would be like Neves_rats, interesting to see how people play differently and how many horses they work with, im similar to both in a way have seasons with 100 odd horses and seasons with a handful

Wed May 01, 2019 4:32 pm
Selling plater

neves_rats wrote:
Currently 154 in training and 25 mares at breeding. I have maybe a handful of what could be classed as prospectively high class horses that will probably pick up a few group 1's (won the Oaks this season), and then a dozen or more that are just below high class who probably scrape a Group 3 or Listed race. The other about 100 are handicappers that I have probably picked up dirt cheap from selling and claiming races, they are rated very lowly and I then exploit that rating to see how many races I can squeeze out of them before the handicapper catches up, and 2 year olds ( I have about 40 of which 2 or 3 might be high class, time shall tell). Obviously I play very slowly on full training mode as it takes ages to enter and rest horses, but this is how I've always played through the years and versions of SO. This appears quite realistic, as, if in real life you had a stable this size you would possibly get this kind of spread of abilities. I'm not interested in winning every race and breeding unbeatable horses, where would the fun be if you knew you'd won before the gates opened?

Very Interesting way to play it does sound very realistic and enjoyable, i must admit ive picked up quite a few in sellers and claimers and built them up winning the handicaps until it catches up with them, even managed to snag 3 group winners out of this process, funnily enough 1 of each.

love hearing how different people play the game

Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 pm
Selling plater

ghosty wrote:
I had 50 mares in the shed and it blew my mind, when I get to 30 then I try to get shot of some.

i usually have between 50 & 80, however i check through each every year and see who is losing stats and trying to channel what im looking to breed into each next crop, plus any at over 12 i usually bin off unless they still have any really decent bars with workable ability / potential

Wed May 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Handicapper

I try to run no more than 50/50/50, Fifty in training, Fifty broodmare and Fifty yearlings.

The more I get over 50 the more I want to shoot myself, so that makes me cut down. I would probably be happier with less, but ... I get attached. Shhhh. Don't spread that around.

Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 pm
Handicapper

I try and limit myself to around 20-30 x 2yo, 20 x 3yo, 10 X 4yo and 5 x 5yo in the racing barn and around 50 mares for breeding with 3/4 stallions. However currently I have over 200 in the stable, 104 mares in the barn and 11 stallions in the barn. About to do a much needed purge....

Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am
Group 3 winner

ikem007 wrote:
I try and limit myself to around 20-30 x 2yo, 20 x 3yo, 10 X 4yo and 5 x 5yo in the racing barn and around 50 mares for breeding with 3/4 stallions. However currently I have over 200 in the stable, 104 mares in the barn and 11 stallions in the barn. About to do a much needed purge....

Tried to purge mine the other day, and failed miserably as I had got attached to them and didn't want to see them go :roll: surely it's only a game :)

Thu May 02, 2019 8:14 am
Group 1 winner

I just like to give 10 -15 my full attention any more is a headache

Thu May 02, 2019 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Same here, had 28 in my last breeding save and that was way too long to get through seasons.

neves_rats wrote:
ikem007 wrote:

Tried to purge mine the other day, and failed miserably as I had got attached to them and didn't want to see them go :roll: surely it's only a game :)

I had 28 in my breeding barn, 19 in the stud barn, and 58 in my transfer pool. I decided to cull those numbers and now I have 6/4 in the barns, with just 17 in the transfer pool - I even got rid of my only Kentucky Derby winner and 95% Battling Quality stud.

Thu May 02, 2019 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Selling plater

ChrisOrmie wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Same here, had 28 in my last breeding save and that was way too long to get through seasons.

neves_rats wrote:
ikem007 wrote:

I had 28 in my breeding barn, 19 in the stud barn, and 58 in my transfer pool. I decided to cull those numbers and now I have 6/4 in the barns, with just 17 in the transfer pool - I even got rid of my only Kentucky Derby winner and 95% Battling Quality stud.

95% Battling and you let him go, battling and distance are what im trying to breed into my horses now aswell as some talent, may take around 6 years to truly start seeing some really well rounded horses with good ability, but fingers crossed on that side of things.

watch every YT episode btw Chris, you do a great job, keep it up

Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am
Selling plater

I suddenly received an offer from Prince Addulah to place a large amount of horse to my stable, which includes many 2 yrs old, fighting for the next classics.

Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Selling plater

I suddenly received an offer from Prince Addulah to place a large amount of horse to my stable, which includes many 2 yrs old, fighting for the next classics.

Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next