View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What's Happening in My Game SO7 Edition 
Group 1 winner

Post What's Happening in My Game SO7 Edition
I'm 9 seasons into my first serious game and I just had my biggest win with a homebred. Cool Prince is a speed horse who has learned to rate some as he has gotten older. He always runs a big race which is a bit of an anomaly in SO7 because my horses always seem to run inexplicably bad races every two or three runs.

Cool Prince totally dominated the Haskell. Easily the best race any of my horses have ever run.

A son of my foundation sire Non Dom who like a gift from heaven was my first horse bought at auction. A marathoner with good stats across the board. As with almost every other horse I come across his potential is somewhat lacking.

His dam Cool Princess was an auction purchase who ran admirably in group turf sprints. Notice I took her from cheap handicaps to feature races as soon as I got her. Scoping out her lineage before I bought her led me to believe she was a stakes horse. I was right. Cool Prince runs exactly like she did - on the pace and fires every time.

I was just looking at the breeding of another modest looking auction purchase of mine and noticed that her second dam is the same as Cool Princess'. Digging through lineage lines and offspring for potential good horses is turning out to be fun. I go to every auction and check out the dam's lineage first to see if it's worth delving deeper into.

Cool Prince and Nahrain - Related. News to me. Maybe I should search out some more of the family.

Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 am
Handicapper

Post Re: What's Happening in My Game SO7 Edition
I love when I get my first big race win on a horse or save, had a bit of success myself lately including the Haskell and it never gets old! I'm sure others that win the premiere races more often are a bit more reserved or maybe don't celebrate at all, but I certainly still do, haha!

I've also had success with limited inbreeding, but only once in every 5-6 generations or so - more than that and things get too similar, but every once in a while and it may just give the bloodline a boost. Keep up the good work!

Wed May 08, 2019 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Using the horses above as seed money (transfer in and sell) I regrouped my game and started a sprinters save in the first slot. Buying only 5-6 fur horses at the sales and auctions. Going to every sale and every auction getting only horses with a 5 or 6 furlong breeding indicator. Nothing else. Buying lots of horses that are complete garbage along with decent and sometimes a good horse. After a while I have a nice group to train. Dealing almost exclusively with fillies and mares so I can have a broodmare band to breed to the best sprinters and slowly but surely getting better horses.

Current Stable. Almost all homebreds.

Current Broodmare Band

After a couple years I started going through the lineage of all my horses and all the good 5-6 fur horses in the game and then kept a little database of the sires/dams who have a good string of offspring. To me that means a bunch of 100+ rated offspring and not many bad offspring. I gave an asterisk to sires/dams who have an impressive offspring list. After a couple seasons of research I became familiar with the good lineage lines and have started breeding the good with the good. My database so far...

Here's three asterisk noted dams from the list and their offspring. Note the Australian horses produce beasts most of the time.

Edit - I see I doubled up an image in the last screenshot. It's supposed to be another good dam. You knew that.

Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 am
Group 1 winner

Here's a thought that occurred to me - If you send a game bred horse to the transfer pool and then try to transfer that horse into another game, the game won't let you transfer it in because the name is already in use. So if you find yourself with an unraced game bred with great stats and you envision that horse being an oft-used transfer candidate - Change the name! This applies to the stock list of horse names the game uses. When you get deep into a game and the names are the ugly combination of the sire and dam names it does not matter.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:02 am
Group 2 winner

You can change the name on the transfer screen mate so you don't need to do that if you don't want to. In the transfer screen just click on the name as you would an unraced 2yo an you can change the name so you can transfer it in. I always try to stick to similar to what it was named, just spell it different.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 am
Group 2 winner

Out of curiosity, have you found any 100% potential yet? I've now done about 40-50 seasons over numerous games, just buying every horse available, and not had 1 100% horse yet, which is annoying as I have breeding mares an Stallions with everything else where I want it.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:59 am
Group 1 winner

kniesh wrote:
You can change the name on the transfer screen mate so you don't need to do that if you don't want to. In the transfer screen just click on the name as you would an unraced 2yo an you can change the name so you can transfer it in. I always try to stick to similar to what it was named, just spell it different.

Thanks for that tip. I didn't know you could.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you found any 100% potential yet? I've now done about 40-50 seasons over numerous games, just buying every horse available, and not had 1 100% horse yet, which is annoying as I have breeding mares an Stallions with everything else where I want it.

I just got back to playing again after working on some schedules for a while. No 100's. 90 seems to be the best I can muster. Which is fine IF the game gives you a 100 every blue moon. It's more realistic if a 100 (great horse) is a rare commodity. If one never appears though that doesn't give you something to play for.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 pm
Selling plater

Nice thread Sirus. Out of interest, what is the average potential bar for the horses that you're using? Also what would be the lowest potential that you would consider using for a horse to breed with and also for the 2 year old to keep that you have produced?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:20 am
Group 1 winner

I'm still doing my 5-6 furlong only USA sprint save as detailed above so generally the bars will be a different range than other distances. Notably with sprinters is Cruising burst is hard to come by.

Kind of early in this save so I am concentrating on keeping decent fillies that I send to stud after their racing career to breed to the best sprinters in the world. I am constantly going to the sales looking for more fillies. The Breeding Mares Sale is a main target. A good offspring record and good lineage and racing record are a must for breeding mares.

When money runs low I cash a huge bet to get the money up. A bit of cheating involved there as I save before and make sure I win my bet. When you start mass producing foals you will make big money selling most of them because most of them will be garbage.

My last crop was around 30 2yo's and these were the keepers. Fifty percent potential is usually a keeper for a filly. Colts have to be much higher unless their other important stats are very good.

Horses with very high Speed and/or Acceleration in the main parameter box (The blue box to the left) are worth a closer look. 100% on either of these makes for a good horse. I try to achieve 100% on both of these along with 100% starting for a perfect Main Parameter stats score.

For the other stats box I want them high in this order. The first group being more important than the second and the second more than the third (Group 1 - Potential,Cruising Burst,Extra Speed Rating,Finish Application) ~ (Group 2 - Battling Qualities,Enthusiasm,Confidence) ~ (Group 3 - Consistency,Going/Surface Adaptability,Distance Adaptability)

This is my best horse so far. A very speedy filly sprinter. Notice she has 100% Acceleration along with 90% potential. 90% potential is as high as I can get at this point.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 am
Group 3 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
I'm still doing my 5-6 furlong only USA sprint save as detailed above so generally the bars will be a different range than other distances. Notably with sprinters is Cruising burst is hard to come by.

Beware of trying to load up 5f or even maybe 6f sprinters with too much CB.
I think thats how i wrecked my sprinters this season.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am
Group 1 winner

This is a rare specimen. I'm forever trying to get this Triple Stat combination - Speed, Acceleration and Start all at 100%. It's the perfect score for the main parameter box. I guess the even more perfect score would be jumping at 100% also but this is a flat horse.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:40 am
Selling plater

Jango wrote:

Care to expand on that thought? Why would having a 5/6F sprinter with high CB be a bad idea?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 am
Group 3 winner

nighthawk wrote:
Jango wrote:

Care to expand on that thought? Why would having a 5/6F sprinter with high CB be a bad idea?

It has now been shown to me that I am totally wrong about CB and sprinters.
I'll just leave this here to teach myself a lesson.
:lol:

Well my first league season my stats were pretty average. Low CB and nothing higher than 80% potential.
I won a few sprints.
2nd season i had focused on extra speed and potential, CB was a bit better than the previous season at maybe 65-70%.
I did ok at the sprints and won a few more.

Last season i had all stats pretty much maxed out, including CB at 83-85%.
My sprinters were terrible. I was trialing them against my low CB horses from the previous seasons and they were 10 lengths slower.

I dont know why it has a negative impact.
As a top league trainer commented "Good 2yo sprinters make bad 3yo middle distance runners".
Some league trainers will suggest the CB in general is over-rated. I dont agree and will breed as much into the longer distance horses as possible.
I am not sure on the best amount of CB for a 5f or 6f but i would be looking at less than 50%.

If/when i decide to breed seriously for the league again i will separate my sprinters/middle dist/long distance horses in different saves as i think they all have different requirements stats wise.
I wont cross breed different distances again.

Last edited by Jango on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 am
Group 1 winner

I think sometimes people just get caught up with improving the cruise and speed , just because they go up it doesn't mean they will be better horses. This weekend I ran my first trails with 20 horses I breed over 2m+ on the flat and the first lot I breed was far better than the second lot even though they had twice as much cruise and speed . Sometimes the bars u cant see can be as important as the one's u can .

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 pm
Handicapper

Jango wrote:
Well my first league season my stats were pretty average. Low CB and nothing higher than 80% potential.
I won a few sprints.
2nd season i had focused on extra speed and potential, CB was a bit better than the previous season at maybe 65-70%.
I did ok at the sprints and won a few more.

Last season i had all stats pretty much maxed out, including CB at 83-85%.
My sprinters were terrible. I was trialing them against my low CB horses from the previous seasons and they were 10 lengths slower.

I dont know why it has a negative impact.
As a top league trainer commented "Good 2yo sprinters make bad 3yo middle distance runners".
Some league trainers will suggest the CB in general is over-rated. I dont agree and will breed as much into the longer distance horses as possible.
I am not sure on the best amount of CB for a 5f or 6f but i would be looking at less than 50%.

If/when i decide to breed seriously for the league again i will separate my sprinters/middle dist/long distance horses in different saves as i think they all have different requirements stats wise.
I wont cross breed different distances again.

I don't know if I agree with you about CB in sprinters. While I do agree that CB is more important in middle distance and long distance horses.

All my sprinters in the last SO6 season had about 75-80% CB and did OK, winning about a half dozen races and placing in another ten or so races.

Historically, John has had the best sprinters in the league and I think what he says about the hidden bars is true. I think these hidden bars show up best in a horses performance in the racekit. That is why I would always recommend to those thinking about entering the league to trial their horses in the construction kit at the end of each season and only breed with horses who perform in the CK regardless of their bars.

Also, this last league season has been the most competeive with quite a few trainers making big improvements in their horses. It was much harder to win races this last season than in previous seasons.

What you are suggesting about having seperate saves for the different distances is how I have bred horses for the last 2 league seasons and I would recommend to everyone.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next