View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Questions from a beginner 
Selling plater

Post Questions from a beginner
Hi, I'm a beginner when it comes to gallop and this game. I have been playing for over 60 hours now and have started to understand some parts better than others. But I also have a lot of questions, which I thankfully receive answers / help with.
During my time as a beginner I have played as the easiest level as Trainer / Owner in the UK. And just drive "Flat".
I have plenty of money, since I used breeding and sold young horses.

I have updated everything in stable info. And also has High at the all levels (Staff level, staff wages, Feed Quality and hire help. I have an "Apprentice" and a "Retainer" linked to my stall.

But I still find it difficult to set the right conditions for the races themselves.
I read in another thread about the different levels with C1-C7 and more.

1) But not on any horse I have set up "Pacifier Options" and neither does Geld Horse or Wind up. Is it necessary at the easiest level? And when should you start using it?

2) I also have a bad check on the horses' Going Pref. What should I consider when it comes to "Firmer ground", "Good ground", "Softer ground" and "Very Soft ground"?

3) Is there anything inside the info page about "Courses" that can help me to see which horses are suitable for which course?

4) How much importance does "Honesty" and "Obedience" on Jockeys?

5) Now I am aware of both the "Constituion" and the "Juveline Constitution" during horse stats. But how often do you race horses during a season? How do you put it up? Intensive a few months? Far between races etc.?

6) As a reference to question 5. How many races are you running the two-year-old?

7) At the easiest level, as I play. Is there anything I can do about horse training? Or does everything itself?

8) I have seen that it is possible to set things on "My Racing Stable", what should you do there?

9) On "My Racing Stable", what does it mean to click in "Lead Gallop Horse"?

10) Regarding breeding, I understand that G1 is the best prerequisite for successful breeding. I've checked out Studs, but still I never get a real real star horse. Always think there is about 20% missing on Hore's Stats on my best horses. From full bar.
And the new foals rarely get better than their parents.
However, I have received some foals with pretty much "Battling qualites" which is fun, as it seems unusual.

11) How important is "Secondary Stats" versus "Horse Stats", what do you look for?

12) Information on "Horse stats" and Potential Rating, is "The degree of absolute potential(dark green) and realised potential (light green). Is this really correct? It looks like it should be diffrent? That green light is potential and dark green is how good the horse are right now.

Apologies for many confused questions from a beginner.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:46 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Questions from a beginner
polo_byxa wrote:
Hi, I'm a beginner when it comes to gallop and this game. I have been playing for over 60 hours now and have started to understand some parts better than others. But I also have a lot of questions, which I thankfully receive answers / help with.
During my time as a beginner I have played as the easiest level as Trainer / Owner in the UK. And just drive "Flat".
I have plenty of money, since I used breeding and sold young horses.

I have updated everything in stable info. And also has High at the all levels (Staff level, staff wages, Feed Quality and hire help. I have an "Apprentice" and a "Retainer" linked to my stall.

But I still find it difficult to set the right conditions for the races themselves.
I read in another thread about the different levels with C1-C7 and more.

1) But not on any horse I have set up "Pacifier Options" and neither does Geld Horse or Wind up. Is it necessary at the easiest level? And when should you start using it?

2) I also have a bad check on the horses' Going Pref. What should I consider when it comes to "Firmer ground", "Good ground", "Softer ground" and "Very Soft ground"?

3) Is there anything inside the info page about "Courses" that can help me to see which horses are suitable for which course?

4) How much importance does "Honesty" and "Obedience" on Jockeys?

5) Now I am aware of both the "Constituion" and the "Juveline Constitution" during horse stats. But how often do you race horses during a season? How do you put it up? Intensive a few months? Far between races etc.?

6) As a reference to question 5. How many races are you running the two-year-old?

7) At the easiest level, as I play. Is there anything I can do about horse training? Or does everything itself?

8) I have seen that it is possible to set things on "My Racing Stable", what should you do there?

9) On "My Racing Stable", what does it mean to click in "Lead Gallop Horse"?

10) Regarding breeding, I understand that G1 is the best prerequisite for successful breeding. I've checked out Studs, but still I never get a real real star horse. Always think there is about 20% missing on Hore's Stats on my best horses. From full bar.
And the new foals rarely get better than their parents.
However, I have received some foals with pretty much "Battling qualites" which is fun, as it seems unusual.

11) How important is "Secondary Stats" versus "Horse Stats", what do you look for?

12) Information on "Horse stats" and Potential Rating, is "The degree of absolute potential(dark green) and realised potential (light green). Is this really correct? It looks like it should be diffrent? That green light is potential and dark green is how good the horse are right now.

Apologies for many confused questions from a beginner.

I'll answer what I can with what I think is right....

1, Your head lad will tell you if the horse needs a pacifier if you click on the 'i' on the stable menu. Also sometimes worth trying if the jockey reports would not settle. Same for gelding (though I only ever geld horses I'm planning to sell and definitely not breed from). As for Wind Op, this with normally be the jockey saying the horse wasn't breathing properly or reporting possibly a breathing issue, I've never seen the head lad report on this.

2, Look for the going on or near race day for your track. If your horse has a high level for going/surface adaptability then it doesn't really matter. If it doesn't, then you want the horse going preference to match as closely with the track as possible. If a horse likes firmer ground you really want it to be hard, firm or good. If it's very soft you'd want heavy or soft for instance.

3, Some horses don't like left/right turns, this will help you see which have those. Also it will tell you when some are mainly up or downhill, with this you can work out if a 6f horse will be better running 5f than a 5f horse (uphill), or if a 7f horse will cope with a mile (downhill).

4, Not sure

5, I tend to race horses that run shorter distances more frequent than those that race longer, however it depends on the horse. For instance in my current game I have one horse who is unbeatable Jan to Jun in G1 races. However at the end of June, regardless of level of C1 races (G1/2/3 or Listed) it suddenly come last every race, against the same horses. For this reason this horse is a bit more intensive earlier in the year.

6, I tend to run my 2yo for 4 or 5 races. Maiden, Listed, Group, Group is the standard progression I use.

7, I've only used simple training in SO7 which is automatic so can't comment.

8, Not sure what you mean.

9, If you send your horses to gallop the lead horse will be the pacemaker. So you'd want a horse that normally runs with early pace to be lead.

10, Not all the time. Some top quality AI horses may never run a G1. Also look for horses consistently in the placings and those that win by several lengths. Battling is a nice thing to find

11, Secondary stats are important. The general consensus is that Cruising Burst and Extra Speed are the most important of these, probably followed by Finish Application.

12, You're correct. Dark Green is the level the horse currently is and light green is what it could possibly get to (though both can increase up until 5yo). I think the description is wrong in game.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Sun May 19, 2019 4:06 pm
Selling plater

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I understood most things, even if I play with kilograms and meters.
But even if I play with kilograms and meters, it says unfortunately "7f straight course" and so on, on the courseinfo side.

I will develop question 8.

If you look at the information at the bottom. Then it says something about "Gallop Trial settings", I can choose Distance and "use A / W (Dirt) gallops". Is there anything I should do for training? or is it a simple show?

I also have a follow-up question at number 10.
I did not know that the horses can develop better than to light green up to five years of age. How do the horses develop, is it just by winning? because I still can't do any special training (at the easiest level I play)

Sun May 19, 2019 4:57 pm
Group 3 winner

All good answers from ikem007, just adding a couple of things.

4, Honesty means the higher it is the more you can rely on the jockey feedback as to distance, going and course preference. Obedience means the higher the more likely the jockey will follow any orders you give them.

5-6, 'Juvenile constitution' is often lower than 'constitution' and if very low it's best to check with the head lad. I have had some 2yos that could only take 3 races before the head lad said I was close to over racing the horse.

Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 pm
Group 3 winner

I have done a bit of breeding in SO6 and started to breed in SO7 with good results.
So here is how i go about it.

Get loads of money.
I did this by finding a G1 winning stallion and breeding with as many mares as you can.
Then sell the foals as unraced 2yo's.

Now you have the cash visit every auction.
Look for performing horses of course.

But also look at the linage. I found a very nice stallion that was low rated because his potential dark green was low, but he had very high light green because he came from quality parents.
It is the light green that can carry across through breeding.

Buy good mares at the Breeding Mares auctions.
Look at their offsprings ratings, this will help select mares that have good stats but also the ability to pass stats on.

Look at the other stud farms.
Use the "Breeding" button top left to access other stud farms.
Again look at the linage, offsprings and the stallions AEI, Winners % and Stakes Winners %.

I have about 50 mares in my breeding barn, most were bought from Breeding Mare auctions.
When i am trying to find a great stallion to breed with i normally put 6 mares with him and then study the offsprings as yearlings.
There will always be a dud or two but by comparing the yearlings stats with the mothers stats i can get an idea what the stallion is bringing to the party.

Eventually, hopefully, you will find a stallion that produces better foals.
Once i find that stallion i direct all my best mares to him.

If you have plenty of money dont hesitate to buy horses. You can always throw them back into the next auction and ive found you get almost back what you paid for them.

Finding the "ONE" stallion is the key. It might take a few seasons of trying different pairs but its worth it.

Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 am
Handicapper

polo_byxa wrote:
But even if I play with kilograms and meters, it says unfortunately "7f straight course" and so on, on the courseinfo side.

If it helps with distances:

8f to a mile, which is ~1600m.

so 1 furlong is ~200m.

so the 7f course is ~1400m.

The horse's preferred and breeding distances are also listed in furlongs, so it is more playing a game of matching how far the horse can run to the races you run it in. So in that way I could call the distance units "widgets" (made up thing that doesn't exist) and just play the matching game. Put my horse that runs 9 widgets well in 9 widget long races.

Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm
Selling plater

Big thanks (dragontrainer, Jango, ikem007, Hechicera) for all help and tips. Hopefully it may also help other beginners who are finding this forum.

I have tried to look on the different courses now, to try to get a picture of the ground, and can see that they seem to differ between the different races sometimes. But it gives me a good foundation to think about.

The next step is the right and left curves on the tracks, where does it appear what the horses prefer?

As well as the information about Downhill and Uphill, is it the "Draw effect"?
For example Ascot says: "Up to 1 400m Low (2)"

Have I understood correctly that the whole course is down 1,400 meters? but what does (2) stand for?

Mon May 20, 2019 7:05 pm
Group 2 winner

polo_byxa wrote:
Big thanks (dragontrainer, Jango, ikem007, Hechicera) for all help and tips. Hopefully it may also help other beginners who are finding this forum.

I have tried to look on the different courses now, to try to get a picture of the ground, and can see that they seem to differ between the different races sometimes. But it gives me a good foundation to think about.

The next step is the right and left curves on the tracks, where does it appear what the horses prefer?

As well as the information about Downhill and Uphill, is it the "Draw effect"?
For example Ascot says: "Up to 1 400m Low (2)"

Have I understood correctly that the whole course is down 1,400 meters? but what does (2) stand for?

It is an incremental value from 1-9. 1 having the least effect and 9 the most (at Chester for example). How many lengths it equates to, well only mark knows that, but being drawn 20 when that figure is 1 is no problem but being drawn 15 at Chester is a right pain in the derrière.

Mon May 20, 2019 7:20 pm
Handicapper

The distance refers to how short a race must be for the draw effect to matter.

If they run for 2 miles (just over 3.2 km) it really doesn't matter anymore what gate they came out of by the end.

But if the race is short it does, so how short matters on the course? Races the listed distance or less have a draw effect of the (#) magnitude, which Pommard already covered.

You should assume the horse runs equally well on both leads. If the horse has a preference it will be listed in the head lad comment area. The place where it will say if it is jaded, raring to go, etc.

Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 pm
Selling plater

Thanks for the answers, then I know a bit more about the draw effect.
But it also seems like I mixed together Draw effect with Uphill and Downhill, where can I read about Uphill and Downhills effects on the courses?
So i know if i should let a Horse thet prefers 1 200m on a 1 400meters race or on a 1 200m. To make the trip perfect.

Thu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm
Handicapper

polo_byxa wrote:
But it also seems like I mixed together Draw effect with Uphill and Downhill, where can I read about Uphill and Downhills effects on the courses?

This is on the Course info screen, just below where the draw effect is.

You'll have descriptions such as undulating, flat, sharp and so on. There will also be, on some courses, something like "The final 3 furlongs are uphill and testing", or "The final 4 furlongs are downhill and very sharp", Curragh in Ireland and Doncaster in UK are the two examples I've used above.

You can also use the other aspects listed on the course to try and see which horses are better, though I'm not too sure how much this is implemented into the game (for instance a less agile horse would not normally like sharp bendy courses and prefer straight tracks). Personally I don't go into this much detail when I chose which horse to race on the track.

Last edited by ikem007 on Fri May 24, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm
Handicapper

I think "small build" horses may do better on the courses with sharp turns in game.

Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm
Handicapper

Hechicera wrote:
I think "small build" horses may do better on the courses with sharp turns in game.

Agreed, that is how it would normally be, unsure on if it's implemented this way though. Probably is, I've just never tested the theory to check it :)

Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]