View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Quick Hot Take Questions on Horse Auctions 
Selling plater

Post Quick Hot Take Questions on Horse Auctions
Why in the world would any of the CPU horse trainer / owners sell a horse that was even reasonably worth racing with and breeding with / to? What's the point of going to any of the auctions other than when starting a new game to get breeding stock going?

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 pm
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Quick Hot Take Questions on Horse Auctions
Because decent horses are sold at auction

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 am
Handicapper

I think it depends on what your idea of a decent horse is.

When I started my very first saved game in SO7 I did visit auctions, every single dayly\weekly auction, for about the first 30 seasons but I reckon I didn't find a horse that was any better than what I had after the first 15 - 20 seasons.

The best way I found to improve my horses was to breed my mares with gamebred stallions in the barn until a good homebred stallion was foaled and breed with that foal or to start about 200 new saved games until I found a horse worth keeping. I know green bars aren't everything, but I now have full bars in almost every category using this method.

Jim

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am
Selling plater

nighthawk wrote:
Why in the world would any of the CPU horse trainer / owners sell a horse that was even reasonably worth racing with and breeding with / to? What's the point of going to any of the auctions other than when starting a new game to get breeding stock going?

Broodmares and yearlings are all I buy at the minute, to be honest, if you buy a yearling with a decent pedigree, and keep him until he is 2, and then sell him, you will double your money on the vast majority of them, money for old rope really.. But yeh, I'm after buying proven group winners to ship to my stud, never for sale are they...

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 am
Selling plater

neves_rats wrote:
Because decent horses are sold at auction

Real auctions, or game auctions? (Of what little I know of actual horse racing I know that there's some races in the US (Florida?) where several good horses are auctioned.)

Because in the game, the AI already knows what the bars look like. I get that the AI may not properly pick races for the horse, or the horse doesn't match what a trainer is looking for at a given time, or the horse performs poorly for some other reason and the trainer just decides to dump it.

I'd say that the AI used graded races to determine keepers for breeding, but I had the game put up a race handy 10 G1 winning 8 yo Mare at the Breeder's auction, who was breeding good foals, and has a really good top line and secondary stats. #UnicornStore

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:36 pm
Group 1 winner

In real life in Europe good horses go through the ring even Multiple G1 winners

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]