View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Quick Stud Questions 
Selling plater

Post Quick Stud Questions
Hello, I just wondered if anybody had the time to help me, how do I get stallion offers, I have my stud, and nobody ever offers to use, them, two I kinda see why, probably crap, but the other has won two group 2s, and 2 group 3s, and is by two group 1 winners, yet I can't give him away for even 1000, even though his price was 46000 when he first entered stud..

Also, are stallions involved in breeding sales, they seem quite hard to buy, bot in and out of training..

Thanks

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:26 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Quick Stud Questions
I've noticed that the AI does not ask you for stud until their offspring are winning. So you need to breed them to your own mares and race the good ones. You can still sell the bad ones and the AI might get a win on thm eventually.

And the breeding sales are breeding mares only. If you're on the lookout for a new horse, are you going to the races every day and skipping past so that you can attend the post-race sales? It sounds like you have a couple of good stallions already but the sires don't have to be Group winning for their offspring to sell well. And again, I think that's affected by the percentage of their offspring who've won a race - any race.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46 am
Selling plater

twilightramblings wrote:
I've noticed that the AI does not ask you for stud until their offspring are winning. So you need to breed them to your own mares and race the good ones. You can still sell the bad ones and the AI might get a win on thm eventually.

And the breeding sales are breeding mares only. If you're on the lookout for a new horse, are you going to the races every day and skipping past so that you can attend the post-race sales? It sounds like you have a couple of good stallions already but the sires don't have to be Group winning for their offspring to sell well. And again, I think that's affected by the percentage of their offspring who've won a race - any race.

Ah that could be it, it's his first year at stud, maybe one day then.. Yeh shame about the breeding sales, what i want to do, is buy an established horse, and retire him to stud straight away, I'm watching thirty easy, that I have persuaded myself are viable stallions, best sons of expired horses etc, and not one has ever appeared for sale.. Studs have 60 odd stallions in my game some of them, I wouldn't mind having the chance to buy them..

I am just starting really, so not many decent stallions, just the one group winner, and a couple of 16yo Grade 1 jumps winners that popped up in the sles for 1500 quid just to see what happened really, but breeding 20 a year now with about 14 of them group or graded winners over jumps..

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 am
Handicapper

If you have the money, it might be worth breeding one or two of your mares to the AI's stallions. There are some G1 winners whose fees are less than $100,000. Even if it's just a couple per season, these offspring will sell for lots of money, whether they're good or not. If they're good, you can keep them and hope they become your G-winning offspring.

Also, as a tip I learned after two seasons, don't sell them as yearlings unless you can't survive without the money. Yearlings tend to go for under $500,000. A 2yo with Group winning parents (even if they're bad) might go for over a million easily.

Also, when deciding who to keep and who to sell, take note of their stats when they're yearlings, not 2yos. I've been taking screenshots every time my horse's stats change and they always drop between their yearling and 2yo season. The yearling stats are a better indicator of their quality. Choose ones with high potential and high speed, or alternatively for stayers, high stamina and high-ish speed. I really like SirisChill's mod for the background of the bars that give you increment marks, so you can put an approximate number value on it (or even just read it easier).

Another thing to check is when the parents won races, if they have a race history. Some horses mature faster than others. I almost sold a 3yo because his potential didn't rise as much as I would have liked and then he turned into a 4yo and won three G1 races in a row :lol:

With the 2yos, they need to race to bring them to their full potential. I've seen advice in the forums (I'm going back and reading all the question posts) that you need to race them four times at least to maximise the jump in potential they'll get when they turn 3yo. I'm not sure whether they actually have to win to get the biggest boost or if it's just about getting them on a track though.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]