View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Slow Frame Rate Fix 
Handicapper

Post Slow Frame Rate Fix
Hi All

Apologies I've had this problem before and I can't seem to find the fix for it

So, I've a state of the art laptop in terms of processor and nvidia graphics card but I can't get SO to get above 30 FPS

My home PC is a lot older and lower spec than my laptop and runs at 60 FPS no problem, I'm sure when I played SO6 on my works laptop I had this problem and I fixed it easily enough, with a bit of guidance, turning something on and off or changing a setting etc

Can somebody help me, clearly I need to tweak something I'm just not sure what

Thanks

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:36 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Slow Frame Rate Fix
Try This

Crowd - To Normal
Anti Aliasing - down to 2

Then one at a Time if that doesn't work

Realistic Weater Effects
All Trees 3D

Then Finally Turn off

Realistic

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Sounds like your laptop is using its integrated graphics for SO instead of your nvidia card.

Guide for switching to nvidia graphics
https://support.ubisoft.com/en-gb/faqs/ ... cated-GPU/

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 am
Handicapper

Thanks for the replies

Kevcon, that sorted it perfectly, thanks again

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pm
Handicapper

Kevcon, Hi

So here's a strange one, that fixed the problem and now all of a sudden it's reverted back to 30 FPS max, despite the nvidia settings for the game stating it's using the nvidia card, as opposed to the integral graphics card, any suggestions I'm flummoxed here thinking it was solved?

Cheers

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 pm
Group 1 winner

All I can think of is to check cpu usage in task manager while playing and see if it is hitting 100% or getting close to it. High cpu usage can result in a drop in fps. To open task manager press ctrl-alt-del, then task manager from the menu and click more details in bottom left corner.

I would also install and run HWMonitor (link below) and check your laptop's cpu and gpu temperatures. It could be your laptop is overheating and thermal throttling (i.e. reducing performance) to get rid of the heat.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 pm
Handicapper

Thanks

I’ll try those, what I should have mentioned after I posted yesterday I loaded a FPS game via Steam and that power hungry game with settings ramped to max, was running at 60 FPS making it definitely a SO issue with my laptop

I also went back to the original point via Nvidia and reset SO6 to make sure it’s using nvidia card and not integrated but still no upturn in frame rate? I’m baffled here as originally it fixed it fine?

Thanks again

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:33 am
Group 1 winner

If your laptop can run a power hungry fps with no problems it's very unlikely to be either of the things I suggested. SO7 is not a power hungry game afaik.

Have a look in nvidia control panel - 3d settings and see if your nvidia card is set as the preferred graphics processor under both global and program settings.
It could be your laptop thinks 30fps is an acceptable framerate for SO7 and there is no need to use your main gpu. You could try and increase all game settings to their maximum and see if that reduces the framerate enough to trigger your nvidia card to take over.

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]