View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Beginners Questions 
Selling plater

Post Beginners Questions
So I have gotten the starting basics, auctions, breeding, etc. I'm starting year 4 and have $23.3M from selling my second batch of two year olds. I've gotten my breeding stable up to 45 horses. So a few questions at this point:

1. I know breeding is a crapshoot, I've kept three colts in my training stable that are over 50% potential and 60+ in constitution. Should I race them as two year olds or just train them for a solid year to build them up and try them as 3-yr olds?

2. With breeding mares, is there any way to get rid of them? I've got some of the real cheap ones I bought at auction in years 1 and 2 but now they show a RTG in the 30's while I've not got a large number in the 60+ range. I don't see a way to put them in auction.

3. Any other tips or suggestions for starting into racing? I have upgraded my farm with the pool, the dirt track, Training Stalls and gallop rails. Still need Field Space & Small Barn, Stud Facilities and stable increases. I don't think those do any good for training.

I have tried racing in two start up saves but with about 10 horses and 30 races, they've all finished last or next to last in every race.

Sat May 09, 2020 1:18 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Beginners Questions
On your 2nd Question,

Im pretty sure if you click into them, and send them out to grass/field, then if you click on to them in the field, it should allow you.

hope this works.

Sat May 09, 2020 2:39 am
Group 1 winner

I am assuming you playing a flat game.

1. Just race them at 2 to get rid of greeness and to get a handicap mark. Maybe only 2 starts if potential isn't too high. 50% potential means at best they will be handicappers. Although 50% potential and if they unraced maybe selling them is a better idea. You get way more money for selling unraced horses.

2. Return the mare to your stable and then you can send it to auction. Although unless you have a very large number of mares it may be better to keep these and just sell the offspring for some cash. You will make more money this way.

3. Keep going to auctions and try buy group winning mares. Even if they old. Breed them with the stallions that have produced the most group 1 winners. Look at the foreign stallions as well. You need at least 40 mares, but more is better, in your breeding barn as a large portion will be duds. Sell the duds ( potential will be below 40% ) before racing them as you will get some cash you can reinvest.

Remember it's a simple law of averages You will produce about 25% duds, maybe 50% that look ok but aren't that great, and only 25% or maybe even less that are decent. So 40 mares will give you possibly 10 decent horses, maybe even less. If you want more decent horses you need more mares.

Sat May 09, 2020 7:22 am
Selling plater

Thanks for the replies. A few more questions...

1. What does the green "F" mean when I'm looking at my breeding mares and possible stud stallions?

2. How do I hire the right staff person to be able to view the Paddock on race day? It says use the stable tab from the main screen. The only option I think I see is to hire stable help (like $476 per week?) but my race after I ticked that box still wouldn't let me view the paddock.

Mon May 11, 2020 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]