View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How many seasons? 
Selling plater

Post How many seasons?
Question,approximately how many seasons does one have to play before the stables breeding operation is producing foals that win or at least get placed as two year olds please?I find it frustrating that I am using my own stallions and paying gaming stallions with an expensive covering fee,yet I am only winning one out of every 10 runners.Also the form to the next race rarely holds.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:02 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: How many seasons?
If this helps, the first 4-5 seasons i try to purchase every mare that has a rating of 105-110+ and i keep it if it has a potential rating of 75+ I breed these mares to the stallions that are producing group winners, i try to first look at keeping all the fillies that come out of the mares and they better the stats of the mother. i then disguard the mother after 2-3 tries of getting a better offsrping.. in the mean time whilst going through the seasons i buy every stallion that becomes available in the auctions and check the stats if it has high potential and full bar speed or stamina depends if its a sprinter/miler or classic/long distance and keep it if it meets my requirements. by about season 10-12 i start to notice the improvements. This is more realistic than previous versions of SO, you need to mix the right blood through your lines but everyone has there own theory. I have basically used this forum to learn from the big players. I have had times where the breeding doesnt seem to be working and i'll sell everything i have and restart.. but its all a process.

Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 am
Handicapper

Here is an example of my first bred horse, so first crop.

His Sire is the current leading sire in the game for group winner.

The mother won at listed level and has 70% potential.

So Authority Code has been bred from the leading sire by total group winners out of a reason stat mare and her first foal has some potential. He has already won at Listed Level. I dont expect much yet but if I can get him to group 1 level and place or win then I will send him to the breeding barn. or else I'll sell him for profits to purchase more mares or to use as coverage fees for breeding.

Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 am
Selling plater

Thank you for the information.I will take on board what you said.I had high expectations of my first five stallions,who had won group one races,but the first crop have so far turned out disappointing,I doubt any will be winning the following seasons derby.

Sat May 30, 2020 10:32 am
Selling plater

I'm 15 seasons in and I've just had my best season. Won 6 classics ( should have been 8 ) and numerous other group ones. You can't be sentimental with your breeding mares and stallions. Once there speed starts to drop I stop using them.

Last edited by Gordon on Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm
Handicapper

See its not really that difficult to pick up a group 1 win.. like I said, first crop first horse and I won the Guineas with Authority Code. Hes not exactly what I want in a stallion for breeding but he improved the stats of his Dam, If he was a filly I would have sent it straight to the barn now and bred it with another stallion on the list that has bred multiple group winners.

What im looking for now is if his potential increases at 4yo to 90%.

Sun May 31, 2020 5:03 am
Handicapper

In my current game I had some G1 winners in my 3rd season breeding. But most of those could only win one or two graded races. I use the first season or two mainly building cash, so I know most won't be very good.

Had my first interesting one pop out in season 5 breeding so foal in season 6. He did win the Derby though I gelded him on the eve of it (game should check that, he was a colt when entered). He was rated 134 at his peak at 5, he's now 6. 9/2/0 in graded wins. Won most of the English classic distance races at least once, does very well in Dubai but the Prix de 'Arc de Triomphe and the Breeder's Cup the best he has done is place, though I do have one Grosser Preis von Baden and one Canadian International win from him too.

As a 2yo he broke his maiden well first time out, but the best he did was a condition race win at Ffos Las. Listed race placed, sent him to a listed handicap and didn't make the board. Won a very high rated handicap first time out as a 3yo, so I put him in the Derby Trial, which he won. That was when I perked up.

Only 80% potential. I'm hoping to pick off a couple more wins on him as a 6 yr old. Gelded as the exercise staff recommended it, and I see a larger effect from gelding in SO7 than I did in SO6. After gelding, if it isn't a win, he's still always in the money. So, no breeding him. But I have younger half siblings that are G1 winning mares now and another mare off the same stud who is graded placed. The game retired his sire after two years. So I try and send at least a couple mares to promising new studs every season now, just in case.

he has a good jumping bar, maybe I'll send him to a jumps game at 7? What do you do with a good gelding.

Sun May 31, 2020 6:48 pm
Handicapper

Just a little update for you to give some hope that breeding isnt really complicated once you get into the swing of it. I retired Authority Code to the breeding barn, he hasnt thrown anything worth keeping at this stage but will keep trying in the hope of getting something out of him.

But I have been breeding with the current top sire by Group winners he is producing. Henry Holmes has sired 99 G1s 28 G2s 34 G3s. He is a beast of a Sire and I have managed to get a good one out of him by a mare who won 2 G1s of her own.

His Name is Kadlubek, He is now 4 but had an amazing 3yo season. He won the Guineas and St James Palace and Backed up a win against the older horses in the Queen Elizabeth II.

Im torn between whether to race him on in his 4yo season or send him straight to the barn, as my sires arent that special there yet.

I also have a 3yo who had an okay 2yo season.. He is a sprinter for the moment, He won the G1 Middle Park, out of another Game sire whose starting to get some G1 winning offpring. 11 total G1 wins.

Im in my 10th season in this game now, I play League mode, i havent joined the league yet, something that I have been planning to do, I just find the league mode lessens the expectations of a good horse by stats because there are less parameters to go by and im now at the stage that anything with less than 80% potential Im discarding or send to the breeding barn if its a mare to see if I can improve its stats.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]