View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Do you have to use money cheats? 
Selling plater

Post Do you have to use money cheats?
Do people actually play legit from the start or do you have to use money cheats to actually get things rolling. Ive had to quit 3 games now after running out of money.

Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:03 am
Selling plater

Post Re: Do you have to use money cheats?
I've personally never used money cheats. Here's my tactics:

First, I sell all of my starter horses. Unless there's a really good one worth keeping. Selling starter horses tends to bring you a decent amount of money to work with, especially two year olds. On average I'll get around $1M when I sell my starters, sometimes $2M.

After I sell my starters, I immediately start looking for horses worth claiming. Here's what I look for in claimers:

1.) Race comments. Winning is one thing, but comments tell you a lot about the performance. I like to see "Readily", "Not hard pressed", "Cantered", "Went clear", or "Impressive"

Those comments (especially readily + cantered in my experience) suggest that the horse is more talented than you'd think, with it being in a claiming race. I've bought horses like that and many became stakes winners. BUT they also had good times, which leads me to my next point....

2.) Comments are important, but time is too! If a horse has one of those comments but not a time I like, I won't buy it. You can look at the standard times for each distance in the courses tab, and you can also see if a horse ran faster than average if there's a negative number alongside the final time. For example, you might see [-2.0]. That horse ran two seconds faster than average and could be worth looking at.

Personally though, I mostly look for times that mirror the average in real life. So I want 59 for 5F, 1:12 for 6F, 1:24 for 7F, 1:39 for 1M (you rarely see the real life average of 1:36 in game), 1:55 for 1M1F, etc.

3.) Watch the replay of the horse's race and pay attention to the jockey. I personally want to see a jockey not asking the horse too much, whether that be with the whip or his hands. A nice, in-hand victory (by open lengths is especially nice) is what I like to see.

4.) Preferably, I look for horses that are either normal or laid-back. I mostly prefer laid-back, but normal is good too. I avoid excitable unless the horse seems talented enough for that to not be an issue.

5.) I like to see horses that have run well outside of claiming company. Wins or places in handicaps are nice. Not extremely important though.

That's my guidelines for buying claimers. Generally I send mares to the breeding shed and keep the stallions/geldings for racing. The stallions/geldings become my money makers. It usually isn't a ton of money, but enough to help keep me afloat.

Now.... yearling sales. Yearling sales are incredibly valuable.

What I do is I go to every yearling sale and buy the cheapest horses. This early in the game, I don't look at breeding or disposition or anything that normally I would pay attention to. My goal is to get as many horses as I can for as cheap as possible. I buy a handful of yearlings per sale, making sure they're under 100k reserve, then I sell them as two year olds. It helps a ton financially, and sometimes you even find a really nice horse for say, 30k! Also, take a look at the Friday sale every week. There's often good, cheap horses in there worth buying.

So basically, sell your starter horses, look for good claimers for breeding + racing, and buy cheap yearlings to sell later.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:45 pm
Handicapper

Sell all male horses, sell all 2yo's.

With the money, buy cheap mares to breed with the cheaper group winning horses. Sell the horses you breed when they are 2yo.

In around 5 seasons you will have enough money to breed with the better horses and your mares will also improve.

Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:26 pm
Handicapper

Also go for breeding barn early. Usually before any other stable improvements.

Mare claimers that have a decent pedigree or fit bcrstrat's selection as a prospect work. Retire them to breed as soon a you have the breeding.

I also look for mares in claimers that are old and have dropped in class a lot. If you play a combined game look for older mares that have run over fences but done well. Fences only horses are cheaper than flat horses, like real life.

With the mares don't look that great, sort the stallions by fee. Pick the cheapest G1 winner and breed the worst mares to him. They will sell well, and that sets up your money.

And sometimes you'll even get a stakes winner off of that though.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:11 am
Handicapper

All good information, but I might add, if your so inclined, I've found legitimate betting to be a good way to supplement your bank account at the outset in order to acquire the stock and pay the stud fees necessary to become successful. Betting your own stock can be especially lucrative.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:30 am
Selling plater

I make most of my money betting on the races but I'm just getting into breeding and now I realize that's where the big money is - especially 2yo. Sold a horse with stats so poor I didn't want it for over a million dollars.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:42 am
Handicapper

Dhughes wrote:
Sell all male horses, sell all 2yo's.

With the money, buy cheap mares to breed with the cheaper group winning horses. Sell the horses you breed when they are 2yo.

In around 5 seasons you will have enough money to breed with the better horses and your mares will also improve.

This, except I will keep a good horse that can win some prize money for me. I thin use prize money to buy yearlings with good bloodlines.
I just posted about this in another thread, but in my new league game I used some prize money from a race to buy a G1 yearling from an auction for $518k, then sold it unraced (it had bad POT) for 2.29 mil at the start of season 2.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Handicapper

bcrstrat wrote:

First, I sell all of my starter horses. Unless there's a really good one worth keeping. Selling starter horses tends to bring you a decent amount of money to work with, especially two year olds. On average I'll get around $1M when I sell my starters, sometimes $2M.

After I sell my starters, I immediately start looking for horses worth claiming. Here's what I look for in claimers:

1.) Race comments. Winning is one thing, but comments tell you a lot about the performance. I like to see "Readily", "Not hard pressed", "Cantered", "Went clear", or "Impressive"

Those comments (especially readily + cantered in my experience) suggest that the horse is more talented than you'd think, with it being in a claiming race. I've bought horses like that and many became stakes winners. BUT they also had good times, which leads me to my next point....

2.) Comments are important, but time is too! If a horse has one of those comments but not a time I like, I won't buy it. You can look at the standard times for each distance in the courses tab, and you can also see if a horse ran faster than average if there's a negative number alongside the final time. For example, you might see [-2.0]. That horse ran two seconds faster than average and could be worth looking at.

Personally though, I mostly look for times that mirror the average in real life. So I want 59 for 5F, 1:12 for 6F, 1:24 for 7F, 1:39 for 1M (you rarely see the real life average of 1:36 in game), 1:55 for 1M1F, etc.

3.) Watch the replay of the horse's race and pay attention to the jockey. I personally want to see a jockey not asking the horse too much, whether that be with the whip or his hands. A nice, in-hand victory (by open lengths is especially nice) is what I like to see.

4.) Preferably, I look for horses that are either normal or laid-back. I mostly prefer laid-back, but normal is good too. I avoid excitable unless the horse seems talented enough for that to not be an issue.

5.) I like to see horses that have run well outside of claiming company. Wins or places in handicaps are nice. Not extremely important though.

That's my guidelines for buying claimers. Generally I send mares to the breeding shed and keep the stallions/geldings for racing. The stallions/geldings become my money makers. It usually isn't a ton of money, but enough to help keep me afloat.

What I do is I go to every yearling sale and buy the cheapest horses. This early in the game, I don't look at breeding or disposition or anything that normally I would pay attention to. My goal is to get as many horses as I can for as cheap as possible. I buy a handful of yearlings per sale, making sure they're under 100k reserve, then I sell them as two year olds. It helps a ton financially, and sometimes you even find a really nice horse for say, 30k! Also, take a look at the Friday sale every week. There's often good, cheap horses in there worth buying.

So basically, sell your starter horses, look for good claimers for breeding + racing, and buy cheap yearlings to sell later.

This is great!
But I never really paid any attention to comments for other Jockeys except my own. because it is contingent on them having a high honesty trait, or else what they are saying could very well be wrong. Right? Or is that just illusionary depth and the comments are always spot on?

Also, I am new to both game and forum, but I generally race talented Fillies as well. I like them having medals and perhaps wrongly perceive that makes them better breeders, or at least makes their foals look more attractive to have both parents as G1 medal winners etc.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:11 pm
Selling plater

NealMac wrote:
bcrstrat wrote:

This is great!
But I never really paid any attention to comments for other Jockeys except my own. because it is contingent on them having a high honesty trait, or else what they are saying could very well be wrong. Right? Or is that just illusionary depth and the comments are always spot on?

Also, I am new to both game and forum, but I generally race talented Fillies as well. I like them having medals and perhaps wrongly perceive that makes them better breeders, or at least makes their foals look more attractive to have both parents as G1 medal winners etc.

I'm relatively new to the game and don't have a definitive answer but I've seen jockey standing in the irons down the stretch obviously not trying to win the race. That appears to me to be dishonest. Not sure about comments.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:43 pm
Handicapper

Fairmount wrote:

I'm relatively new to the game and don't have a definitive answer but I've seen jockey standing in the irons down the stretch obviously not trying to win the race. That appears to me to be dishonest. Not sure about comments.

Yeah, I guess I got that honesty was how well you can trust their feedback on your horse, from the Youtube video I watched when starting to learn to play the game. I cannot find anything in the SO7 instructions about it.
But I guess the form cards are different from the jockey feedback, so you are probably right to view them credibly, and I will have to start doing that as well when scouting horses.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 pm
Handicapper

NealMac wrote:
Fairmount wrote:

But I guess the form cards are different from the jockey feedback, so you are probably right to view them credibly, and I will have to start doing that as well when scouting horses.

The formbook comments are provided by impartial, track-side observers. They're accurate, if not terribly revealing.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:19 am
Handicapper

marklaker wrote:
NealMac wrote:
Fairmount wrote:

The formbook comments are provided by impartial, track-side observers. They're accurate, if not terribly revealing.

Thanks Mark. Makes sense.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]