View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Starting a new online league using startit mod. 
Handicapper

Post Starting a new online league using startit mod.
So I have been running a flat only US league, and I just installed the startit mod and I want to run a combined schedule.
My goal is to use this for the online league. Producing both competitive FR and NH horses.
So I am resisting my first impulse to just plow right in, and I want to make sure I get everything right so I don't waste valuable time.

What would be the best setup? Would UK combined be better than Ireland combined for example?
Any idea or things to do would be most welcome.
I don't want to get 10 season in and find out I again limited myself or boxxed myself in, in some regard or another.

Thanks again!

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:20 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Starting a new online league using startit mod.
Harumph!

Oh well, couldn't wait any longer and started UK combined online league using Startit mod, to feed my online stable.

I am totally lost with the jumping side of the game, so if anyone can point me in the right direction to find guides or knowledge on that I would appreciate it.

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:06 am
Handicapper

Sorry, StartIt and league are both well ... out of my league.

As a US person who's "fences" is Virginia/Maryland "Timber Racing" and eventing cross country, I also have asked the board what to look for in a sim UK fences horse.

The answer was: much the same as what you look for on the flat.

I will caveat, less speed but still good speed, is ok if a distance horse, so a 3m or so horse as long as it has great cruising burst. But that is the same as the flat. Just US schedule has insufficient long race even on flat. Late blooming maturity bars can work and some unfilled potential bars, since you have more years to get them going. But that category is probably unsatisfying and not sure how well it will do in league.

The jumping bar is trainable. But the jumping speed is not, it is innate like speed. I find jumping speed better for horses to have fewer mishaps on hurdles/bumpers. Not that the horse can't win well and often, but it feels like the risk of a bad jump to the point of a fall is higher. On fences the trainable jumping ability bar seems to cover that same function.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:39 pm
Handicapper

Hechicera wrote:
Sorry, StartIt and league are both well ... out of my league.

As a US person who's "fences" is Virginia/Maryland "Timber Racing" and eventing cross country, I also have asked the board what to look for in a sim UK fences horse.

The answer was: much the same as what you look for on the flat.

I will caveat, less speed but still good speed, is ok if a distance horse, so a 3m or so horse as long as it has great cruising burst. But that is the same as the flat. Just US schedule has insufficient long race even on flat. Late blooming maturity bars can work and some unfilled potential bars, since you have more years to get them going. But that category is probably unsatisfying and not sure how well it will do in league.

The jumping bar is trainable. But the jumping speed is not, it is innate like speed. I find jumping speed better for horses to have fewer mishaps on hurdles/bumpers. Not that the horse can't win well and often, but it feels like the risk of a bad jump to the point of a fall is higher. On fences the trainable jumping ability bar seems to cover that same function.

Small world. I lived in Fauquier county VA, saw the gold cup there quite a few times and some jump races they used to run out at the old fairground in the plains.

Thanks, I will focus on jumping speed. What is the cutoff for working with a horse? 50%?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 pm
Handicapper

I tend to cut it off there. BUT, I have had horses win the big races with 10-20% as well. Just maybe 1-2 in 20 races they fall, whereas the other's seem not to. So you might miss a great horse if you cut it off just due to that one stat. Though in a combined schedule game, it should clean up on the flat anyway if it has great stats. And distance horses have races.

It is a small world! Parents were members of Loudoun Hunt, and when I was a kid some meets crossed our farm back in the 60s. Farm long sold, but not developed yet last I visited! Current owner was very gracious, and not into horses. Most of that area is developed now.

Got my start learning about TB bloodlines talking to the old folks after the meets. Parents left me once at a toddler and I tried to them cross country to where I knew they were. Got stuck in briars, sitter was in fits. I'm told the hunt was delayed while they "hunted" me first. The whole hunt. Didn't get to live that one down.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:09 pm
Handicapper

Wow! Pretty cool!

Yeah, we had a hunt beagle adopt us when it strayed from the hunt, I guess. Sam was a great dog, but very energetic.

I lived briefly in Leesburg in the late 80's and it is nothing like that now. Didn't even recognize the place. Whole area is pretty much the same now. Nothing but sprawl.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:43 am
Handicapper

NealMac wrote:
I lived briefly in Leesburg in the late 80's and it is nothing like that now. Didn't even recognize the place. Whole area is pretty much the same now. Nothing but sprawl.

Yeah, and I was there decades before that. I remember Hurricane Agnes, which killed quite a few of a neighbor's cows. I had been warned. But recognized my childhood place on satellite before I contacted them. Fellow with the old farm has sheep (we did too) and is stubbornly sitting around with all the original outbuildings and farm house surrounded by "mini horse farm McMansions". My farm house looked so tiny. Even that was a bit back though, wonder if it is still active farm land today.

It is wall to wall McMansion subdivisions though now, you are right.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:13 pm
Handicapper

I would bet that the Leesburg of the 80's when I was there would have been very familiar to the Leesburg you remembers from the 60's as a kid.
There was a Giant grocery store that probably wasn't there before, and maybe a few fast food places, and the car dealership probably expanded some etc. But old town was the same and the farms were still all around. Nothing but farmland and forest between Leesburg and Sterling, where we went to go see a movie etc.
Now, well you can always look at a satellite image to see...

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]