View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jockeys taking a pull. 
Selling plater

Post Jockeys taking a pull.
I can't find a topic that directly relates to this which surprises me as although the race sequence is much improved in SO4 the yo yo effect of jockeys taking a pull and droping back 3-4l in an instant is still there, at least in SO4 the horses quickly come back on the bridle unlike SO3 were they needed to be pushed for ages to get them back to speed. Currently a jockey takes a pull and drops like a stone back through the field, its completly unrealistic and most if the time they do it for no reason and often start pushing it then.

This causes big problems when taking the reins as its like dodgems trying to avoid the horses coming backwards, especially in the early stages. If the horses continue to slow down so quickly the clipping heels should be taken out of the game as its just to easy to run into something at the moment.

Before i posted i read the lastest patch, which i haven't downloaded yet, includes a minor jockey restraint alteration. I hope this adjusts the problem i speak of but the i fear the adjustment needs to be more major than minor. I don't know if many users have ever riden a racehorse but its not possible to get an animal going 60km an hour over 5 fur to suddenly drop to 40km in a split second, which is what happens in the game.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm
Group 1 winner

Hi, this has been vaguely touched on but as you said it's been much better in SO4.

I think I may have posted about this in SO3 a couple of times as it's too easy to get brought down at the start. Very annoying. Having ridden racehorses myself, as you said it's very annoying.

I also have an issue with the instructions, for jumping they're incorrect and it bugs me sooo much I said in SO3 and I've said twice now and nobody's really taken any notice.

If you've ridden horses you should read them and see what they say about taking the reins over fences. It's the wrong way around!

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:05 pm
Selling plater

I've actually giving up on the jump game as although i prefer it in real life, in SO4 like SO3 it needs alot of work to make it anyway realistic.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 pm
Handicapper

I think what you're encourting is the jockey will just pull back to give the horse a breather and fill his/her lungs up again before going into a drive again, normally happens if horse gets to the front too soon.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:59 am
Group 1 winner

Not if they've only just left the stalls! it is better in SO4 Much better, but they still get to the rails and restrain their horses from first to last, usually bringing one of mine down!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:52 am
Selling plater

Agree with Super Cat The 1st 2 furlongs are the worst but even after that you see horses get restrained by 3 or 4L and then getting pushed up again, Thats not giving a horse a breather its just a waste of energy and looks stupid in the game.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:17 pm
Handicapper

I have never had this problem, your horses must be rubbish and your training reputation isnt taken seriously by other jockeys sorry.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:24 pm
Group 1 winner

Not sure but Mark would have to confirm but l got this a lot when using R Hills and Others. Sticking with R hughes Or Fallon didnt really have that problem. Possible a jockey trait not sure really

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:28 pm
Selling plater

It could well be intentional and worse for some jockeys as you say, the problem is its not realistic for horses to slow down so much so quick, and ridiculous when they start pushing them straight after. It also casues great problems when taking the reins trying to avoid the horses coming back at you.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:59 pm
Group 1 winner

Yes agree, i have a early pace horse who always goes at least 2L clear and is cruising then the jockey just sits 3 or 4 horses come past while mine is cruising, i get bout 1L down then jockey kicks flys at the end and gets beat !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not realistic at all as soon as other horses get to hind my jockey should start pushing and i know would win a lot more races

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:01 pm
Selling plater

I have never had this problem, your horses must be rubbish and your training reputation isnt taken seriously by other jockeys sorry.

What are you talking about? What has training reputation and horse ability got to do with a flaw in the race sequence, and if you think horses slowing down as rapidly as they do is not a flaw then i suggest you go an watch a real horse race sometime.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 pm
Group 1 winner

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 pm
Selling plater

j fortune best jcokey in game by far and not jus saying it as i dnt really like him in real life.. i think using even pace tatic on some horses works wonders..

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:02 pm
Selling plater

the jockey is taking a pull, it seems, so that the horse will finish in the order the game has already decided, not for any racing, tactical reason. i've seen the jockey taking a pull in the final furlong before, he's waiting for the others to catch up.

I've seen many comments about how watching the races, rather than the stat bars, is the best way to decide what is best for your horse, but it is hard to know, sometimes, whether you are looking at a racing incident or a game processing issue. the number of times i have seen a horse seemingly going well, only to lose because the jockey let the others get about 4 lengths ahead of him before starting to ride in the final half furlong, that is not really the jockey's tactic, that is a programming issue.

Otherwise, why else would the jockey refuse to race handy when instructed when there are no front runners in the race?

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm
Selling plater

the jockey is taking a pull, it seems, so that the horse will finish in the order the game has already decided, not for any racing, tactical reason. i've seen the jockey taking a pull in the final furlong before, he's waiting for the others to catch up.

I've seen many comments about how watching the races, rather than the stat bars, is the best way to decide what is best for your horse, but it is hard to know, sometimes, whether you are looking at a racing incident or a game processing issue. the number of times i have seen a horse seemingly going well, only to lose because the jockey let the others get about 4 lengths ahead of him before starting to ride in the final half furlong, that is not really the jockey's tactic, that is a programming issue.

Otherwise, why else would the jockey refuse to race handy when instructed when there are no front runners in the race?

The problem is not as sinister as you suggest, Its more of a bug really. Mark obviously intends the jockeys to take a pull for various reasons, like they do in real life, the thing is the effect is massively overdone in this game and used far to often. As you say soemtime jockeys take a pull inside the final 2 furlongs for no reason, and it costs them ground they can't regain. Jockey AI clearly needs tweaking to stop this happening and also when they do take a pull it shouldn't be so pronounced.

As for why the jockey doesnt follow orders, well this does happen in real life too, granted probably a much smaller % of the time, i can't comment as i normally take the reins. Again Mark probably has a variable that covers this, Ignoring orders could possibly be set to to high a probability. All of these things can be tweaked, I'm just surprised a major tweak to the jockeys overdoing the taking a pull and the effect of it hasn't been deemed neccessary by now.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next