View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 An SO4 League on this forum 
Group 2 winner

The SOPL does need to change. Its too regimented and I feel new ideas are brushed aside too easily. The SOPL should listen to its members more but anyway thats another debate.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way Jay. We always do listen, but we don't always have the man power to do what's requested, or the software to do it.

If it's done half-assed, it wouldn't work either.

We are always looking for volunteers to enable us to apply requested changes and manage them properly.

We ran the league with a skeleton crew last year, with many staff doubling up on jobs. Until that changes, how can we apply other ideas, many of which require more staff and more work? I've been criticised many times for giving that answer, but what more do you honestly expect? Everything we do in the league, will always come back to staff numbers. There are many good ideas on the table, that have been proposed by players that are very possible with the software, and it's the aim of the league to apply them.

If someone would like to takeover, and apply the changes requested, so it runs the way you want, feel free to contact Jim and make your case. There won't be any hard feelings on my part.

Last edited by colmodea on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:09 pm
Group 1 winner

jasonpaulburke wrote:
The SOPL does need to change. Its too regimented and I feel new ideas are brushed aside too easily. The SOPL should listen to its members more but anyway thats another debate.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way Jay. We always do listen, but we don't always have the man power to do what's requested, or the software to do it.

If it's done half-assed, it wouldn't work either.

We are always looking for volunteers to enable us to apply requested changes and manage them properly.

We ran the league with a skeleton crew last year, with many staff doubling up on jobs. Until that changes, how can we apply other ideas, many of which require more staff and more work? I've been criticised many times for giving that answer, but what more do you honestly expect?

If someone would like to takeover, and apply the changes requested, so it runs the way you want, feel free to contact Jim and make your case. There won't be any hard feelings on my part.

Whoooa. Easy Colm. This is not aimed at you at all or any of the staff, after all I am part of the crew. Maybe using the term 'brushed aside' was abit harsh. If we have an idea that could work then lets advertise for someone to do it? We should have a job centre on the Yuku forum. Ha ha. Genius idea. :lol:

I know we had problems last year with staff which was annoying. We had alot of very lazy members. Not everyone has time but there was people on the forum every half hour that could have have helped.

Anyway lets not get into a debate about this. Maybe a job centre section though eh Colm. :lol:

Last edited by Harris Tweed on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm
Group 2 winner

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking it personally, it's just an honest response.

We did advertise last season, and a few new members from the advert, but barely enough to actually run the league.

One of the bigger changes that many have requested, is a realistic handicapping system. I would like to see that too. But, from my honest opinion, we'd be looking at two new members minimum completely dedicated to that aspect.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25 pm
Group 1 winner

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking it personally, it's just an honest response.

We did advertise last season, and a few new members from the advert, but barely enough to actually run the league.

Good. I am happy with who runs the league amd how it is run. The only bugbear I have is how new ideas are dealt with. New ideas should be discussed on the forum with its members and not behind closed doors.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30 pm
Group 1 winner

I have no problem with the league or how it is run whatsoever, one thing I think needs to be addressed however is the current forum software and it's constant bombardment of adverts.

Now I'm guessing this is because of the lack of donations, but from my experience the expense of such software is outrageous considering you have much better bulletin board scripts such as vBulletin or Invision which cut out the ads, and in the long run costs alot less - not to mention the scripts are much more powerful than EZBoard and Yuku are.

Once again this is just my opinion on the matter.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

One of the bigger changes that many have requested, is a realistic handicapping system. I would like to see that too. But, from my honest opinion, we'd be looking at two new members minimum completely dedicated to that aspect.

Steve Speight is one who would love to do this job. I am sure we could get this done. Its a huge task though.

I would like to see lower grade handicaps and sellers but again we need the people to do it.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm
Group 2 winner

One person would have to modify the ratings on TOM, and then the horse files would need to be modified. Keep in mind that this would need to be done immediately after close of declarations, so the Race Secs could run the races asap. A very small window.

A couple of hundred horses each week, would quickly lead to burnout for one person. So, that's why I'm looking for two people minimum. So, not only would the idea be implemented, but physically and mentally possible to maintain Very Happy

Last edited by colmodea on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm
Group 2 winner

I have no problem with the league or how it is run whatsoever, one thing I think needs to be addressed however is the current forum software and it's constant bombardment of adverts.

Where are you seeing the adverts mate? And what ads are popping up for you?

The boards are ahead on contributions, so, you shouldn't be bothered by any adverts.

Let me know here, or by mail, what's happening for you.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm
Group 1 winner

The Duke wrote:

Where are you seeing the adverts mate? And what ads are popping up for you?

The boards are ahead on contributions, so, you shouldn't be bothered by any adverts.

Let me know here, or by mail, what's happening for you.

I never see adverts when logged in. If you are not logged in adverts do appear. What you do you mean Dicko?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 pm
Group 1 winner

jasonpaulburke wrote:
Steve Speight is one who would love to do this job. I am sure we could get this done. Its a huge task though.

Too huge a task for one man.

One person would have to modify the ratings on TOM, and then the horse files would need to be modified. Keep in mind that this would need to be done immediately after close of declarations, so the Race Secs could run the races asap. A very small window.

A couple of hundred horses each week, would quickly lead to burnout for one person. So, that's why I'm looking for two people minimum. So, not only would the idea be implemented, but physically and mentally possible to maintain :D

I will contact Steve. He may have a buddy that will want to help him with this task. Thanks for listening Colm. :D

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 pm
Group 2 winner

This would need to be done immediately after races are run by Race Secs. The new handicaps won't be displayed anyway until results are posted. Handicap changes on TOM would be the easy bit.

That will give the handicappers a bigger window to modify the files, and think about the ratings. That will certainly help, but you'd still be looking at two people to get through all the horse files which need to be modified one by one.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 pm
Group 1 winner

I think Lee Cara could be interested in doing this aswell.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm
Group 1 winner

To be honest l have at least 2 days a week off work and would certainly be willing to contribute to the league if this helps. After already being on the staff list before as l was the 2nd season bookmaker would not mind at all helping to make the league better

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 pm
Group 1 winner

To be honest l have at least 2 days a week off work and would certainly be willing to contribute to the league if this helps. After already being on the staff list before as l was the 2nd season bookmaker would not mind at all helping to make the league better

Excellent. We were lackies bookies bigtime last year. The most important attribute for taking on a role in the SOPL is reliability.

If you can do the odds every week that would be great. Colm to confirm.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:51 pm
Group 2 winner

If you can volunteer some time, send an email to colmodea@iol.ie, and put your forum name in the mail, so I know who's who :D

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next