View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Skill of various jockeys 
Selling plater

Post Skill of various jockeys
any tips guys on which jockey to use for your horse. I dont see any skill levels of jockeys or the inabilty to get the best jockeys until your status as a trainer is good. All i seem to do at the moment is click on the season wins and select the jockey who has the most wins this season. I know the fees vary but not by much. Does your horse do well with jockeys that has ridden well with it before? or one it is familiar with? thanks for any help

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm
Handicapper

I think mark has said in previous games the jockeys did effect the horse but only slightly.
I personally dont really see any difference in the use of any jockey on your horse. So i just pick a jockey i like and use them often

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:11 pm
Selling plater

I use a retained jockey , and have had a lot of success with retaining an apprentice(taking weight off horses back) but dont use apprentice in important short races

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 pm
Group 1 winner

eveyr jockey ive tried will without fail get a number of my horses beat by getting stuck behind other horses and failing to spot an easy gap to pass through

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:18 pm
Group 3 winner

I`ve used top jockeys then the cheapest jockeys and can say without doubt you will do better with top jockeys. Can also add to that an apprentice will improve with races and become as good as any other jockey (only done this part once so not too sure, maybe I had a good apprentice). So it`s pay or nurture if you want the best in game I suppose, doesn`t matter if your going for the league though as you are allocated a random jockey. So I stopped bothering with this point once I entered the league.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:08 am
Group 1 winner

I tend to change jockey's every year because, as Hurricane said, I also get sick of them getting stuck behind horses. So I pick the jockey with the most wins/ Gp race wins that season and use him, unless he's retained in which case I choose the 2nd best. I always used to use the apprentice but I tend to only use him to do light weights now or as an extra jockey if I have more than 2 in a race.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 am
Selling plater

thanks for the help guys, shame there isnt a more clear skill level of jockeys and the inability to use the best jockeys till your rank as a stable owner is very good (ie jockeys refused to ride for you). I gather the ones that charge £85 plus fee are the top jockeys even though they not always top of the season winners

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Top jockey's will refuse to ride for you if they think your horse isn't good enough.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:37 pm
Selling plater

oh right, ive never had that....and trust me ive had some stinkers yet always chose the jockey who has most current season wins

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:24 am
Group 1 winner

I have a retained jockey at the top of the jockeys championship is name is Lester Piggott, still a great jockey in his old age, what a star!!

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]